Do we get refrigerator start relays in shops?

6pack

ex-Mod
My LG frost free stopped working suddenly. It just makes a clicking noise every few minutes. The compressor does not run and only the freezer and normal compartment fans runs. But no cool air coming from the fans. It must have stopped sometime in the morning because all the ice has melted now.

So searching online, I get the result that intermittent clicking noises and compressor not running = the compressor start relay has gone bad. The fridge is around 15+ years old. I checked LG india site and they charge a lot just to check and give basic repair cost.

http://www.lg.com/in/support/warranty

Repair Cost for In-home
Frost free(Upto 300 lt) Rs. 450
Inspection Charges : Rs.250 if customer refuses to repair.
Part charges : extra according to the engineer.
Rates mentioned are exclusive of service tax.

Yes. Any good electronic shops will have it. Or ask your a.c. mechanic to repair it .
Had same issue with my bpl fridge. He did it in a jiffy

Just lodge a complain with LG and when the service guy comes let them check it once he gives u the estimate tell him will get it repaired in 2/3 days will not ask for the basic charges, Later when you know what wrong with it its your wish to get it repaired from them. But I would say get it done from the LG only.

Called a fridge repair guy from known person's shop. Relay had burnt off plus due to old age the copper coil had a miniature leak. At first we didnt know it. But the repair guy saw oil on the copper coil in water tray and filled it with water. Saw the leak there. Total Rs.2100 including changing around 2ft of old copper coils and for new relay plus adding oil to compressor.

Mine too had that coil leakage and fortunately it happened during warranty period. So costed gas + leakage. Gast exhausted due to that coil.

Repair guy was saying the coil was fixed in time. If the water tank was filled with water (due to ice melt etc), then the compressor would have sucked the water inside the coils and the coils would have to changed completely. fortunately, he checked the coils 2-3 times by blasting air through the coils . That sound was like cycle tire releasing air in one second.

Thankfully he did a good job. I think he filled SRF make Freon 135a gas in it. He had a Godrej can too but it was almost empty.

Back