Do you need 1080p

Isn't this pretty old? I think i had read this article sometime back in 2008 and I distinctly remember zhopudey referring to the first chart often.

well i dint know about it Gannu . good thing is now i dont have to buy mega tv's because i like to sit close and watch :D

Anyhow that chart clearly explains what TV size would you need to choose at what viewing distance and how a resolution affects it. :)

I've posted about getting the distance right using those same guidelines for a while now. I've yet to see it be challenged to date.

The problem we have here is that SD is still the norm so that pretty much fixes how far you sit, and then you have these 1080p rips that require you to sit half as far. And they are completely at odds with each other, SD stipulates sit no closer than x whilst HD says sit no further than y :crazy:

It gets pretty impractical at that point and I think a lot of ppl do not bother.

Abroad where 720p is the std, the distance is not too far for 1080p, maybe a cpl of feet, so its easier.

Unless you want to spring for massive plasma 70+ inches, best way to watch a 1080p is on a 24 inch (or smaller) PC screen, then will always be at the right distance to enjoy the defintion without having to rearrange the furniture. You should get that immersive experience as well if you're close enough.

freshseasons1 said:
Personally from my own experience 1080P starts from 40Inches + and above.Anything less than that and the difference is negligible .
That's cause you must be sitting too far :)

Well what matters to me is that on my 24" 1080p display... i only download a very select few 1080p movies because of the huge size difference. i mean 12gigs for 1080 and 4 for 720p somehow the 1080p doesnt justify that much of a difference.... i guess i can bear the miniscule loss of detail.

I was of the similar opinion as above till I used to watch movies on my 22" LCD. When I finally got the 40" LCD, I realised that 1080p has visible differences. There is certainly a difference in the clarity. I realised this when I watched the HD print of Star Trek and was wondering throughout the movie that it was a better rip than other HD movies I had. When the movie finally finished I realized that it was a 1080p rip. But, the size difference still doesn't warrant the quality difference :)

I just got my 22" and i gotta say 1080p and 720p has very little difference (yeah 1080p is sharper, but that is if ur viewisn distance is like 70-80 cm), lying on the bed and watching both seem the same to me.

They would because with 1080p & a 22", you should be no further than 1.8 times screen width which works out to 100cms. With the 720p you could increase that distance by a third.

The way I had heard it, thumb rule is minimum 40" to really see the difference for 1080p (Assuming a viewing distance greater than 8 Feet).. However, keep in mind that you only have Blu Ray material that will give you that clarity (And some of the new camcorders)

devakj said:
The way I had heard it, thumb rule is minimum 40" to really see the difference for 1080p (Assuming a viewing distance greater than 8 Feet)..
Do yourself a favour, next time you check out a 40" screen with a 1080 rip, try sitting further than 8 feet and then try to sit no further than 6 feet.

Make note of which makes a difference.

You may find at that distance you wil not be able to see much difference between a 720p & a 1080p and wonder if the latter was properly done to begin with.

devakj said:
However, keep in mind that you only have Blu Ray material that will give you that clarity (And some of the new camcorders)
Hmm, as opposed to the usual 1080 rips ?

What do ppl make of this ? Can you tell the difference between an original blu-ray & the rip ?

For a very large screen or projector it would be apparent but given the screen sizes most ppl have i doubt it would make a difference.

blr_p said:
Do yourself a favour, next time you check out a 40" screen with a 1080 rip, try sitting further than 8 feet and then try to sit no further than 6 feet.

Make note of which makes a difference.

You may find at that distance you wil not be able to see much difference between a 720p & a 1080p and wonder if the latter was properly done to begin with.

Hmm, as opposed to the usual 1080 rips ?

What do ppl make of this ? Can you tell the difference between an original blu-ray & the rip ?

For a very large screen or projector it would be apparent but given the screen sizes most ppl have i doubt it would make a difference.
Heh its not even close. Have a 15GB Batman Begins rip and a Bluray. The latter is much much better. The source is the same - PS3. So its purely the content which is making a difference here.

Back