Camera Do you need a DSLR?

@logistopath : pl. re-read what I mentioned "Most of the times..." & that is true at least in ~50 cases that I know; of those just 2 are actually interested in trying out the camera capabilities.
OT: :oops: aren't we all very good when sitting in judgement :D

Most of the times, people buy dSLRs for the sake of buying/display.
I wonder about this as well, they think they are getting a better value P&S with more options. They are also becoming affordable for the masses these days.

Most end up neither understanding nor, using most of the features.

By the way, I have seen highly paid [sic]pros using auto-mode only.
But does their 'product' reflect it or more accurately are their customers able to distinguish or tell the difference. I've seen the quality of wedding videos & photos and given the number they have to churn out, its like mass production. These kinds of shots are where the subject dominates, over composition. Was a t a wedding and they had a little booth, where you could get a free photo so long lines. When i got there the guy just stood there, said nothing and clicked. Did not bother nor care how you looked or whatever. A machine could have done his job but almost everybody was happy because they got a free portrait.

Open any book on digital photography and you would understand that max 50% of the final pic happens in-camera, the other 50% 'created' using Lightroom/PS.
Yeah, we were not taught in school how to communicate in a visual manner. See how long it took to learn how to do it in other ways.

Last edited:
FunnyCrazyPhotosDSLRCameraPhotographerBikeBMWCarFootballPlayerPeopleThinkingGirls_cvexm_Pak101(dot)com.jpg

@blr_p : main issue I have with dSLR is the bulk. You would end up carrying an extra bag just for that alone. So, was forced to spend that extra money for a RX100.
Nowadays low budget dSLRs are available even at 18.5k in some deals. Mobile photography had dealt a very big blow to camera industry. Who could imagine a 40X optical zoom P&S would cost <15k!

Reg the quality of the photos taken by pros - I saw two of them in direct action. One was from Bangalore; he claimed he was the only one with a proper qualification from some California college. Saw his portfolio online. He also indicated that his photos sell @10k upwards in his exhibitions.

My observations: If you see enough of these photos, most of them are intentionally B&W. It is very difficult to achieve the magic of color balance/saturation without spending hours on Lightroom/PS. B&W is stark, hits the viewer and you need to worry mainly about the composition. Shadow manipulation is way easier & less time taking than color manipulation. B&W is thus way easier to create & sell.

BTW, wedding photography budgets are running into lakhs nowadays. I heard recently that the going rate for a decent set is ~50k. They make a show and present on a disc/flash drive and one flashy album (which would be opened probably a grand total of 10 times in the lifetime of the bride & groom!).
Was reminded of an old joke - Indians are willing to spend lakhs without batting their eyelids on weddings, but they are not inclined to the same when it comes to investing in a decent education for the same kids![DOUBLEPOST=1418800736][/DOUBLEPOST]@AMG : from the profile pic & the one you pasted above, right now you are in which category :confused: (take it easy!)

Last edited:
Good to see many joined the discussion. The opening post was more about a heads-up for someone who wants to buy their first DSLR. It's not that I am suggesting you should never buy one. After all, choice and money is yours.

DSLR's IQ is better:
Of course, it is better. I am not denying that. If you ask me, I would say IQ of Powershot SXxxx is decent enough for most. Now RX100 costs around 24k, it's not too expensive than an entry level DSLR. It produces good image even in low light.

DSLR is affordable and advanced compacts are expensive:
I completely agree. You have to weigh things yourself to which you wanna give importance. Price/performance or size/performance?

I just feel that not everyone need a big sensor/low light performance of a DSLR, only the minimum for what we do. The truth is there is no perferct camera, and every camera is a compromise. Happy clicking. :)

@blr_p : main issue I have with dSLR is the bulk. You would end up carrying an extra bag just for that alone. So, was forced to spend that extra money for a RX100.
Loads of competition in this space. Ricoh GR aps-c vs 1 inch rx100 but no zoom.

Panasonic LX 100 is another contender and then there are the Fuji's.

Bulk is a common complaint.

Reg the quality of the photos taken by pros - I saw two of them in direct action. One was from Bangalore; he claimed he was the only one with a proper qualification from some California college. Saw his portfolio online. He also indicated that his photos sell @10k upwards in his exhibitions.
Up to a point auto can work when conditions are good

aperture priority or shutter priority are all auto of some sort.
auto white balance is an easy fix in post.
auto focus is good enough for lots.

The point about manual is when auto gets it wrong and it will at some point. Tose program modes are the most annoying, a one size fits all and if you dont like it then you better be able to have manual or you are on your own.

My observations: If you see enough of these photos, most of them are intentionally B&W. It is very difficult to achieve the magic of color balance/saturation without spending hours on Lightroom/PS. B&W is stark, hits the viewer and you need to worry mainly about the composition. Shadow manipulation is way easier & less time taking than color manipulation. B&W is thus way easier to create & sell.
Its minimalist and reduces distractions. Much more impact. Great for honing compositional skills. Good for getting the right exposure. Now you can go shooting even in harsh light as contrast matters. There is a different mindset involved.

Timeless :)

BTW, wedding photography budgets are running into lakhs nowadays. I heard recently that the going rate for a decent set is ~50k. They make a show and present on a disc/flash drive and one flashy album (which would be opened probably a grand total of 10 times in the lifetime of the bride & groom!).
Was reminded of an old joke - Indians are willing to spend lakhs without batting their eyelids on weddings, but they are not inclined to the same when it comes to investing in a decent education for the same kids!
This is what most people will use their dslr for and on vacation.

DSLRs are like SUVs now. Everyone wants one / has one. The EMI concept has removed exclusiveness from this universe.[DOUBLEPOST=1418839972][/DOUBLEPOST]
For many buying a DSLR is works out similar as learning/buying a Guitar or starting gym-ing.

It is hilarious, seeing runner machines being used to dry clothes, a few months after purchase.[DOUBLEPOST=1418840163][/DOUBLEPOST]
Like giving a gun to a kid.

Planet Terror.

Last edited:
DSLR helps you get laid. Buy a DSLR, start FB page 'Yourname Photography' (don't forget copyright symbol) watermark all your images with this. Take pictures of poor people, old people, beggars and flowers. Use Instagram and apply filters or stick to plain old B&W. Chicks like taking photos and digg photographers.

Profit.

Take pictures of poor people, old people, beggars and flowers. Use Instagram and apply filters or stick to plain old B&W.
You make it sound sooo easy. If after a day of shooting you get one or two usable ones that is considered to be good. Its work.

Chicks like taking photos and digg photographers.
Those that can take good shots ;)

Best of luck

Last edited:
Back