Does a stabilizer increase electricity usage by more than 300% per month?

6pack

ex-Mod
I can't find my old thread where i was asking for home stabilizer.

TLDR: I wanted a stabilizer for home because of high voltage. I bought a torroidal ac stabilizer from Amazon in 1st week of July and installed it sometime last week or before that. Probably around 7th. I think its a 4KVA stabilizer with 15Amp load capacity.

Link to stabilizer

Today i got sms from MSEDC that reading for this month is 769 units. Normal consumption is 145-160 units. I saw that the meter is blinking very fast, so it means load is high. so is the stabilizer the reason for high load on meter? 769 unit is close to 15-20 12 thousand rupees for a month so I'm in a fix here. I need to know if the stabilizer is the cause or the meter is faulty. :O

I had already complained to MSEDC about the high voltage and it has come down to 240 levels now, so its okay for me to remove the stabilizer if required.

any suggestions?

Edit: I did a small test. I switched off mains at my house and went to meter. The light was still blinking very fast. So i switched off mcb near meter going to my house and it was still blinking. It shouold actually stop blinking if no load is connected, so it means either someone is stealing my electricity or meter is bad. damn.

Last edited:
Electricity is charged based on real power (kWh) used and not apparent power (kVa) used in India. This is a reason for the losses an electricity company has to take if a household has low PF devices. Voltage stabilizer helps in increasing PF and can't cause any increase in power used by you apart from how much power it uses for itself.
Seems to be a case of faulty meter. A simple test for that would be to connect another meter in parallel. That was what was done in our case. In our case they reduced the bill by the factor of difference between faulty and new meter. Although it wasn't a scientific method, we still let them get away with it because it would have taken a long time and effort. Our bill was for 20k which was later reduced to 12k. Our usual bill used to be between 6-8k so we took that 4-6k loss.

i saw some ISI marked single phase electronic meters on amazon for around 900-1000 rupees. can we put meter inside the house? like from discom meter it comes to my meter. i wonder if the discoms allow that?

i saw some ISI marked single phase electronic meters on amazon for around 900-1000 rupees. can we put meter inside the house? like from discom meter it comes to my meter. i wonder if the discoms allow that?
Definitely you can do that. After the wires exit the meter, you are free to use them as you like to power anything in your home, even if it is just another meter.

You can put any ISI marked meter on the inside, the outside meter the electric company has to replace it, they will have to take the old meter reading.

Back