Does it make sense to buy the XBox 360 or PS3 still?

vivek.krishnan

BLR~ZRS-TX-1-MX
Skilled
Partly for me, and for a friend. Just going to play some games, not any specifics. Budget is as low as possible. Will also need to be used as a media centre device.

Or from Europe, lot cheaper there too. Console prices in India are rip offs of the highest order. Maybe with the launch of One X MS will adjust the price of One S in India.

Partly for me, and for a friend. Just going to play some games, not any specifics. Budget is as low as possible. Will also need to be used as a media centre device.
It's a terrible media player. Plays very few formats. Good for photo viewing etc but wouldn't recommend it for movies. It even comes with Cinavia protection which means some pirated movies won't have sound.

I will give you some ideas then you decide for yourself what you want. (I have both the consoles but used the 360 very less.)

1. Their production has stopped (not sure about xbox) Thus may be hard to get after few days same for their games too.
2. Yes it plays only few formats I think it will not play MKV. You have to convert the file (If you want pirating). I think there is a way to overcome the Cinavia protection. If you are legit then its excellent!
3.Some good titles are very hard to get now.

On the other hand current consoles are really not good yet.They are just cash grabs if you are into multiplayer. For single player its okay. They have very less exciting exclusives. Most titles are either remasters or unwanted forced sequels. On the other hand if you have never owned any consoles before then these may not matter to you in that case you can get anyone you want but I would recommend the new ones because of the the availability of them & their games.

PS3 is still a great buy. There are plenty of used consoles and games on olx/quikr. Plenty of good exclusive games like, Uncharted series, Last of Us, GT5..

If you want a device just for streaming media Just setup kodi and you are good to go. And as for gaming then if you can get PS3 for good price used then why not?

Back