Does moving to Australia make sense on PR Visa?

If given option to work outside India, which is best country

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
^^ agreed. If you have already started with a consultant then you might as well continue with him. However, that shouldn't stop you from doing your own research, especially if you feel that he is withholding information from you or not being as communicative as you'd like. As I mentioned, the forums at canadavisa.com are really helpful in guiding you through the process. You can even create a dummy profile on the cic/ircc website to check out your crs score or get an idea about the application process.

Yeah Ontario probably might work out for me. I got 8.5 7.5 7 7 (L R S W). Don't think it'll improve too much beyond that.

NS and the prairie provinces are also good options. I've heard that they since have more demand for newcomers and the settlement and support the provinces provide is more than what you'd get in BC or Ontario.

Minimum wage rate is higher approx 17 AUD per hour so you can get your sponsored visa fees & consultant fees covered in 2 months even by working in McD/Departmental store(worst case).
Melbourne /Sydney is very expensive so better to swallow your pride & get ready to work in any field.

Unlike in India where working in different fields/unskilled work is something recruiters look down upon, having blue collar work experience in these countries is seen as a positive and is something most immigrants have to go through. This especially seems to be the case in Canada - I've sent out a bunch job applications in my field without any interview call and all I can figure is that I am not being considered for the position as I cannot show any Canadian experience.

Last edited:
you can always ditch your consultant. check if your consultant is MARA certified. otherwise its actually illegal for him to consult.

@booo can immigration consultants blackball their clients using their connections in the immigration dept.?
Aussie govt is very strict about immigration (well... everything in general)
They dont entertain agents. And in fact they encourage people not to use agents. When I was there I was called in for an interview from Immigration dept asking me about how they could improve the process and streamline it so that it becomes easy for people to apply themselves instead of using agents. I told them that they should have a fee calculator and they implemented it.

One of the other reasons that I suggest people not to go through agents is that when they submit the application, they will legally represent you and the immi authorities will update the status to them instead of you. this causes problems because applicant is at the mercy of the agent for status updates. there were instances where the agents did not do the paperwork properly which caused a lot of delay.

And then there is an issue with private data.

Last edited:
Hi, the minimum drop in CRS last year was 453. I think recently the last draw was 459. However, places like Manitoba give you points if you have relatives there. May be you can look at state visa.
Was in the same dilemma and eventually applied for Canada PR. With 412 points, I guess I won't be able to make to that place so I am staying here.

Hi, the minimum drop in CRS last year was 453. I think recently the last draw was 459. However, places like Manitoba give you points if you have relatives there. May be you can look at state visa.
I've few cousins at Toronto, Ontario. Their provincial nominations have typically required a score of 400+. I am only looking for that otherwise I'll continue to live the life I've been living so far. Also most of the IT jobs are in Toronto so doesn't make much sense going anywhere else.

I've heard of people taking PNP from other provinces and sneaking back into ON.
Since I'll be going with my family, that option might not be the best one to pursue. I'll be leaving my job here which makes the opportunity cost too high. Can't risk that. I really want to settle there but if it doesn't work out that way, I'll have to be content with what I have.

On a unrelated note, with family things become too constrained. :p

I've few cousins at Toronto, Ontario. Their provincial nominations have typically required a score of 400+. I am only looking for that otherwise I'll continue to live the life I've been living so far. Also most of the IT jobs are in Toronto so doesn't make much sense going anywhere else.
Toronto does not give you any benefit for family. It is highly popular destination. So they make it difficult to immigrate there.

Here's my two bit on this and take it with a grain of salt.

As someone who has been offered to move to Australia couple of times, this depends on what you really want. While my salary isn't what some the other TE people earn in their jobs at google etc, I am still at a decent level. So when moving to Australia came up, the question always has been how much can I save? And the answer has always been not much specially given the costly living in Australia. While salaries tend to be on the same level, somehow the savings tend to be lower than say US of A. Thats what my finding says at least.

Secondly the nature of IT in Australia. Most companies there tend to view IT expenditure as a secondary expenditure which tends to depress salaries and makes those companies become more dependent on outsourcing.

Lastly while PR doesn't require sponsorship this comes with its own peril. You have to go there and mark at least couple of months to find a job because employers want Australian experience rather than Indian ones. Yes if you have worked with an Australian client here in India that might help a bit.

But, what is the counter argument here - As one of my colleagues in Australia put it - quality of life. There are late nights, working weekends etc if you are "onsite" compared to US. And that is precisely because of the secondary expenditure nature of IT. There also no late night/early morning "offshore" calls because there is an overlap with India. There are no traffic jams, potholes filled roads, no powercuts etc.

Here's my two bit on this and take it with a grain of salt.

As someone who has been offered to move to Australia couple of times, this depends on what you really want. While my salary isn't what some the other TE people earn in their jobs at google etc, I am still at a decent level. So when moving to Australia came up, the question always has been how much can I save? And the answer has always been not much specially given the costly living in Australia. While salaries tend to be on the same level, somehow the savings tend to be lower than say US of A. Thats what my finding says at least.

Secondly the nature of IT in Australia. Most companies there tend to view IT expenditure as a secondary expenditure which tends to depress salaries and makes those companies become more dependent on outsourcing.

Lastly while PR doesn't require sponsorship this comes with its own peril. You have to go there and mark at least couple of months to find a job because employers want Australian experience rather than Indian ones. Yes if you have worked with an Australian client here in India that might help a bit.

But, what is the counter argument here - As one of my colleagues in Australia put it - quality of life. There are late nights, working weekends etc if you are "onsite" compared to US. And that is precisely because of the secondary expenditure nature of IT. There also no late night/early morning "offshore" calls because there is an overlap with India. There are no traffic jams, potholes filled roads, no powercuts etc.
So you are making all this on words of your colleague in Australia ?

Also define decent salary level........If it has reached 6 digit figure in India, then I can say its upto the mark, otherwise you are paid way less corresponding to software engineers working elsewhere.

Though I am flexible enough to save money by compromising on few things for a year or two.

So you are making all this on words of your colleague in Australia ?

Also define decent salary level........If it has reached 6 digit figure in India, then I can say its upto the mark, otherwise you are paid way less corresponding to software engineers working elsewhere.

Though I am flexible enough to save money by compromising on few things for a year or two.
The last part about quality of life, yes. And again it is his personal opinion. That's why I said take it with a pinch of salt. people can disagree with it.

But the salary level thing based on anecdotes and my research when I was offered a job twice. Again it is also technology to technology dependent too. So again its fine if people find the salary more alluring than what I did. Btw 6 figures is 1,00,000 ie 1 lakh. So should 9 lakhs be up to the mark? Or is 1lakh AUD in Indian salary ;) I am on a higher marker than 6 figures but not at 100k AUD level :D.
But then depending on your calculations the "decency" of the salary might differ. Example housing. One of my colleagues in Australia (a resident but not Indian) used to run a business there. He used to take 1 BHK on lease (or something in Australian terms) and divide it into two using a false wall. Give both parts on rent and earn money, which he said was a copy of an idea run by a "desi" (read Indian). Now for some who doesn't know anyone there it was a cheap and affordable housing option. Personally I detest such options but as you said flexibility matters.

Btw I hope you do save enough before landing there. Some of my friends and colleagues have spent up to 6 months finding a job (different tech and backgrounds).

Last edited:
The last part about quality of life, yes. And again it is his personal opinion. That's why I said take it with a pinch of salt. people can disagree with it.

But the salary level thing based on anecdotes and my research when I was offered a job twice. Again it is also technology to technology dependent too. So again its fine if people find the salary more alluring than what I did. Btw 6 figures is 1,00,000 ie 1 lakh. So should 9 lakhs be up to the mark? Or is 1lakh AUD in Indian salary ;) I am on a higher marker than 6 figures but not at 100k AUD level :D.
But then depending on your calculations the "decency" of the salary might differ. Example housing. One of my colleagues in Australia (a resident but not Indian) used to run a business there. He used to take 1 BHK on lease (or something in Australian terms) and divide it into two using a false wall. Give both parts on rent and earn money, which he said was a copy of an idea run by a "desi" (read Indian). Now for some who doesn't know anyone there it was a cheap and affordable housing option. Personally I detest such options but as you said flexibility matters.

Btw I hope you do save enough before landing there. Some of my friends and colleagues have spent up to 6 months finding a job (different tech and backgrounds).
Thanks a lot for valuable input.
I am thinking of marrying my gf before applying visa, so that she will get the same working rights on Type 190 visa as me.

Also salary part, I mentioned that 1 lakh rupees pm in Indian company working in India.
So moving to AUS makes sense since same work & technology is churning much more there.

Looking for affordable housing, that idea is simply great.

Back