Audio does Sennheiser HD201 have any bass or I bought fake ?

coolraghav

Skilled
Guys I bought these headphones, okay I know I shouldn't expect much out of 1.2K headphones. But do they have any bass or they're just without any ?

What kinda gaming headset is it ? EP-630's are so nice in comparison to this headphone.

I know I spent less, but If I knew sound would be like ..I would had spent more.

Throw some light. How do I get to know these are real or no ? Equalizer all set & tested with DTS NEO PC .

eBay India: ORIGNAL Sennheiser HD201 Gaming Headphone HD 201 (item 180318305277 end time 11-Jan-2009 18:55:30 IST)

-Raghav

if they are brand new, use them with lots of bassy music for a week. all speakers need some amount of break in for optimum bass :)

ps: they are not as bassy as I expected them to be either

hmm hmm greeny.

but is there anything which can tell me if this is brand new or replicas ?

The box was totally good packed, but the sennheiser box was open, not sealed. Headphones were like totally open, although gold plated 3.5mm jack.

most pc onboards are no good, especially some realteks. try with a good mp3 player.

the fact that you didnt get any packing /warrranty etc is a bit of a cause for concern

strangest thing no bill. what to do when these get fked in somehow ?

Will anyone RMA or Provide warranty if there's no bill ? I think I should open Ebay Dispute. What Say ?

The HD201 are not known for their bass esp. without an amp.

on the other hand, they have very clear mids and always preffered them over my shp805 while watching movies.

Even the bass is getting better with time

I have heard the HD201 on my friends onboard sound card.

There was not much bass and I could feel that the onboard sound card could not properly drive the HD 201.

I suggest you upgrade your sound card to a Soundblaster Audigy Value for it to properly drive the headphones.

If you want a cheaper option. Get a E3 amplifier from dealextreme for $8.5 ~ Rs 430.

They should be sufficient to drive your headphones. However you will not hear much bass. The Ep-630 basically bloats the lower midrange and that passes for bass. The HD 201 goes a bit lower but it does not bloat the sound and they are more neutral.

I honestly did not like the HD201, but that was primarily because it was not driven properly. Add an amp or upgrade your sound card and the sound WILL improve.

Read this to reiterate my point - Boostaroo Revolution and Sennheiser HD201 - iPod - iPhone - iTunes Forums at iLounge

actually I did had FIO amplifier, injected single AAA battery into it and it helped but only in boasting some volume.

But yeah there was better sound coming out of my ipod nano 3rd gen.

I never thought HD201 would give this kinda sound, its not that the price is high or low but I never knew how much to spend for a headphones I would like to have good sound.

Even the dell bluetooth headset provided better bass lower range.

-Raghav

^^ Give it time to burn in. I haven't heard a burnt in properly drived HD201 yet so I cannot comment if the sound is good or bad.

Aaiing- no bass?? :S

Since i used a HD201 very less (not even used for some hrs, forget days), i cannot remember much as i am more of an open air speakers-types person and use headphones once in several blue moons.
But i tried a few HL2 levels like Ravenholm, sandtraps, nova prospekt and some music tracks and i didn't find anything amiss i think.
That too on the onboard of an IP35Pro.

Will try again and post my observation. :)

Update:
Okies- my main rig is resting and am on this very basic rig with very basic onboard sound which is under stability testing.
I used WMP11 with the 'jazz' setting on the EQ as i am not fond of too much 'doom doom'. :p

And i just heard 'speed of sound' on the HD201 and a HP premium headset (somewhat similar in sound to Philips HP805 but with a bit more 'doom doom' :p).
I think HD201 sounded a bit subdued overall at the lower volumes but evened up at full volume maybe. :)
And yes, the bass seems sort of subdued compared to the latter or kind of there but more in the accompaniments/background.
But i definitely cannot say the bass is "not" there. :)

I tried 'baya baya' on the HD201 and i found one more thing.
The bass is definitely there at the low but fairly audible; and the higher "good" listening volumes.
But as i go even higher up, the bass doesn't increase as much as the treble or maybe is overpowered by the latter; but it's there somewhere. :S
The HP headset was 'doom doom'ing away happily on the same, making it a nice and happy sound for a post-some-drinks kinda mood. :lol:

Note that these are initial impressions, without even a half-baked cheapo sound card.
Say a soundblaster Live 24-bit/audigy value- which are not so useless imho as i could notice an improvement over the A8NE's onboard on an ATP3. :ashamed:
And i am not an audiophile, musician, singer, ... and surely don't have golden ears- and i installed and uninstalled that many times to make sure i wasn't trying to convince myself of the purchase by thinking it helps. :p

Will check again on a good rig later, especially after i clear my ears on a good reference first. :p
BTW, i think as per primeabgb site, senny HD201 is for 1.4K odd (or lower at the shop) and will be sold with a bill and have 2yrs warranty iirc. :)
Sennheiser HD201 Dynamic Headphones

i too got the HD 201 from ebay for 980 bucks after the Rs. 300 discount coupon ..

i am pretty sure they ore genuine cause i got it with a bill stating 2 year warranty and even the box was completely sealed.

and here are my impressions after almost 50-60 hours of playback..

yes it's true initially the bass is almost absent ..after like 30-40 hours of burn in they sounded much better.

but still bass is less.(no i am not a bass freak :p)

the mids and highs are really good..specially when i listen to vocal trance..i feel as if ive got some real good headphones..

rest of the time i dont feel as if these are for 1300 bucks.:p

also the total output\volume when connected to my onboard is quiet less...maybe i shouldnt even expect much from the onboard (p5q pro)

it sounds better on the ipod. but again the bass gets distorted at high volumes..

one thing i noticed..to get best output from the PC i connect the HD 201 to the MX 5021's volume console\dock

and then from there when i adjust the bass ,treble and master volume from the dock..

the SQ \output increase a lot.

i have no idea why there is so much difference..maybe because of the internal amplification of MX5021.(I could be wrong)

overall its a decent pair of headphones ..only if there could be a little more bass :p.. or else maybe the headphones dont give their best when connected to onboard.

cause i find most of the things in online reviews very much contradicting .

Audiophile Reviews: My Sennheiser HD201 headphones review

though i am no audiophile or audio expert still my expectations were more when i decided to get them after reading the reviews .

Havent heard the HD201 but HD202 doesnt have any dearth of gud bass but even that I have used only with Xplosion soundcard or an amplified source. If some1 with a good soundcard can post his inputs, coz at 900 bucks it should be a pretty good upgrade for the EP630 users, atleast HD202 is.

To be very frank the bass is there. It is just not emphasized i.e. you wont get the impact since the bass is tight. The HD202 (which are easy to drive) goes as low as the HD201, its just that it is bloated so that you hear the impact (and drown away the mids and trebble).

I am not sure why Sennheiser made a Rs 1500 headphones that require a Rs 2000 amplifier to sound its best. But if driven properly they will sound quite good.

Here is a user review -

Minidisc Community Forums > Sennheiser HD 201 Pictorial and Review

ohk here's and update.. my HD 201 has approximately completed 80-90 hours if i am not wrong..

and i can actually feel the difference now between these burned in 201's and the out of box 201's.

..today i played it from my ipod ..and the SQ was awesome !! yes the bass was there ...low and tight ..perfect ! and the mids and soundstage really impressed me..:hap2:

i could actually make out each and every electronic instrument while playing

"smile when you kill me "from state of trance episode 338.

i mean i was really impressed this time, now i believe burn -in is for real;)

BF1983 said:
I am not sure why Sennheiser made a Rs 1500 headphones that require a Rs 2000 amplifier to sound its best. But if driven properly they will sound quite good.

though i am quiet happy with the amplification \ improvement in SQ i get after connecting the HD 201 to MX 5021 dock..

do you think there will be any more noticeable difference if i get an amp for 1000-1500 bucks or try and make one myself ?even a crude one for home use..

you think it's worth it..?

source will be my PC usually (for night use\or times when i cant use my MX 5021.) and also my Ipod nano. ;)

Back