Dolby Atmos or DTS X soundbar or speaker setup for netflix and prime

D C

Adept
I am currently looking for Dolby Atmos or DTS X soundbars/speaker setups for my LG C8.
Anyone having such setups, please do advise or post your review.

Thanks!

Always better to go for a dedicated speaker setup if you have the space and budget. A entry level AVR + Speaker budget system will set you back atleast by 70-75k. However its recommended to go in phases to ensure you get a setup you will like for few years to come. The phased approach would be to buy a good AVR + Front LR -> Center -> Subwoofer -> Surrounds -> Atmos/Height speakers

If you go to any professional HT showrooms and take a demo, you will not even think of going for soundbar

Looking for units under 50k preferably.

Always better to go for a dedicated speaker setup if you have the space and budget. A entry level AVR + Speaker budget system will set you back atleast by 70-75k. However its recommended to go in phases to ensure you get a setup you will like for few years to come. The phased approach would be to buy a good AVR + Front LR -> Center -> Subwoofer -> Surrounds -> Atmos/Height speakers

If you go to any professional HT showrooms and take a demo, you will not even think of going for soundbar
Thank you for your reply! 75k is a bit expensive. Any suggestions under 50k?

Looking for units under 50k preferably.

Thank you for your reply! 75k is a bit expensive. Any suggestions under 50k?

Nothing around 50k , you will need to extend a bit. You can get a Polk TL1600 at about 36k and any Denon X250BT at around 28k and that would extend to about 64k in total. This setup will keep you happy for atleast 2-3 years , i had started with this setup. I too started with a budget of 40k and ended up purchasing this after several demos. I demoed the HTiB from Yamaha (YHT-299 and so forth) but they were nowhere as good as this setup. If you absolutely hvae to stick to the 50k budget then this below setup is one of the options

Nothing around 50k , you will need to extend a bit. You can get a Polk TL1600 at about 36k and any Denon X250BT at around 28k and that would extend to about 64k in total. This setup will keep you happy for atleast 2-3 years , i had started with this setup. I too started with a budget of 40k and ended up purchasing this after several demos. I demoed the HTiB from Yamaha (YHT-299 and so forth) but they were nowhere as good as this setup. If you absolutely hvae to stick to the 50k budget then this below setup is one of the options

Thank you for your suggestion!
Where did you get a demo for your units?
Is it better to buy online or offline? People in amazon review saying yamaha refusing warranty for online purchases.

What are the dimensions of the room? If it's not large enough, a decent soundbar is just enough for most people.

What are the dimensions of the room? If it's not large enough, a decent soundbar is just enough for most people.

It's a fairly small to medium size room 3.5m x 6m x 3m (LBH). TV is on the 6x3 wall. So tv viewing distance is less than 3m.
Thats why I am inclined towards a soundbar with a subwoofer, fuss free setup and parents wouldn't like too much alteration. Not in favour of wall mounting. 5.1.2 or even 3.1.2 seems good enough for a room this size. Don't have much inputs to the tv, maybe a laptop via hdmi sometimes. Mostly just the dth stb and inbuilt netflix and prime app.

I have a Dali Oberon 5 system, though it's fairly compact, our living room is not big enough and it's a total overkill.
The 5.1 systems are useless for music. Just buy a decent soundbar and enjoy movies.

I have a Dali Oberon 5 system, though it's fairly compact, our living room is not big enough and it's a total overkill.
The 5.1 systems are useless for music. Just buy a decent soundbar and enjoy movies.
Those are quite spectacular speakers! But very much overkill for me.

Yeah, soundbar seems more appropriate and easier compared to full speaker set. Can't compare the sound quality though, but I doubt parents would be even able to notice the difference.
Looking at LG, sony and samsung soundbars. Everything seems to be out of stock online. But will definitely take a demo before purchasing, after the covid situation settles a bit.

Don't know if I got a defective unit or the installation was faulty. The entire house literally shakes even at lower volumes.
Even the floors of the bedrooms upstairs vibrates when it plays. Definitely not a pleasant feeling, and the cheap Samsung soundbar sounds perfectly fine for movies.
These overpriced 5.1 systems are grossly overrated and music sounds horrible in them.

@red dragon You need to run the room correction softwares on the AVR. These systems are not meant to be directly used out of the box with as is settings. There is no way a soundbar will sound better than a Dali Oberon 5.1 system in any kind of room. Join some audio forums and seek help , you will be guided accordingly. I use a qacoustics setup in a fairly sized room not too big and it performs leaps and miles over any soundbar i have ever heard till date.

@deezcnuts If you are in any of the metro cities you will get demos to all soundbars and most of the HT systems in showrooms and reliance digital/chroma etc for soundbars. Dont take a decision without demoing first

It doesn't sound worse than a soundbar. The room is possibly too small for it. And yes, the installation was definitely faulty ( though done by some guys who brought the unit)
But I don't have the energy to go through it all over again. Now I remember some people @ head fi told me about some software settings about a year ago.
I understand portable audio, 2.1 speakers, studio monitors etc.but these multi channel setups are too much for old guy like me.

Last edited:
Was similarly looking for a soundbar last year, but found a good 2.1 is much better. Settled on Edifier S350DB, and not the least bit disappointed. Sounds sublime, both for movies and music.
I would say try these Edifiers and similar Swans and decide.

^^ Yes,2.1 setups are the best. They work perfectly fine for music too. No one can convince me that a multichannel set up works for music. This Dolby crap simply destroys music.

I have hardly listened to any Dolby music tracks , there is sound coming from too many sides to really enjoy and deep dive into the song. For movies though a 5.1.2/4 is an altogether different experience and i dont think a stereo setup can quiet compete ( have a stereo setup in my room with a good pair of bookshelf speakers) against it.
If you are ok with stereo output, you can go for something like a Marantz PM6006/Norge 2060BT amplifier and bookshelf speakers like Q3020i/Pioneer BS22/Boston Acoustics A26 at a budget of 50k and you will still get a much better movie/music experience than soundbars or any sub 25k 2.1 setup.
Post automatically merged:

It doesn't sound worse than a soundbar. The room is possibly too small for it. And yes, the installation was definitely faulty ( though done by some guys who brought the unit)
But I don't have the energy to go through it all over again. Now I remember some people @ head fi told me about some software settings about a year ago.
I understand portable audio, 2.1 speakers, studio monitors etc.but these multi channel setups are too much for old guy like me.

Hifivision is a nice forum to delve deeper into dedicated HT/Stereo setup and troubleshoot further. If you were in Bangalore i would readily snap up your setup right away :)

Back