Camera DSLR accessory help.

I recently bought a nikon d5200 and i need to buy some stuff. Please suggest the following. I want to spend as less as possible with ideal quality.

1. A compact camera bag. As compact as possible for accomodation of d5200 with 18-55mm(though it will be with 35mm f/1.8D mostly).

2. A tripod.

3. A telephoto lens under 30k. I dont need zooming upto 200mm or above. 100-150mm will be enough. But i wont mind getting extra. Suggest the best one in the range.

4. Lens cleaning solutions like kits or lenspen.

1. Lowepro Adventura 170 bag
Its easy to swap lens with shoulder bag than a backpack .it can accommodate your tele, prime and kit lens .
2. Get a sturdy tripod from benro or manfrotto don't go for cheep tripods it won't serve the purpose
3. Get 55 200 VR lens its a great lens for the price any thing better will cost 60k upwards
4. No idea

1. buy a shoulder bag instead of backpack. helps you a lot while changing lenses.

4. For cleaning solution, buy a. contact lens liquid (like renu) b.johnsons ear buds c. very thin toilet paper. d. rocket blower. e. good led torch preferably with head band. you can even clean the sensor with this kit. instead of rocket blower you can use dust remover spray can which is basically inert gas in a can which you can use like wd40 which blows off all the dust without damaging electronics. https://www.jaycar.com/productView.asp?ID=NA1018&form=CAT2&SUBCATID=961#1 is what I used to buy from jaycar.

Will the 55-200 be able to provide crisp pics like 35mm prime?
thumb rule is that zooms can never compete with primes in terms of image quality. crop sensor bodies have a conversion factor of around 1.6 which means you have to stand farther to take the same photo. best idea is to walk into a showroom with your camera and try both lenses, see which one you like.

I
thumb rule is that zooms can never compete with primes in terms of image quality. crop sensor bodies have a conversion factor of around 1.6 which means you have to stand farther to take the same photo. best idea is to walk into a showroom with your camera and try both lenses, see which one you like.

I am a beginner and i wont be able to make detail technical difference unless the difference is huge. That's why i need some reviews on if 55-200 will be better or 18-140, if someone had his hands on both.

Prime lens have lesser lens elements than zoom lens and image quality of primes is much superior than zoom lens . to get the same quality images you have to invest in zooms costing 60k upwards. 55 200 is a entry level zoom with vibration reduction . there is 70 300 vr which offers more reach but costs four times as 55200 but image quality is may not be even one and half times more . to get perceivable image quality you have to go for minimum 70 200 f4 VR with is around 80k .
18 140 is a wide to short tele zoom if you already have a kit lens no need to buy it .

You can have 70-300 vr in your budget, better than 55-300 vr. I don't know is there any better telephoto lens in your budget. May be a third party lens, may be used lens... You have to dig before buying.

You can have 70-300 vr in your budget, better than 55-300 vr. I don't know is there any better telephoto lens in your budget. May be a third party lens, may be used lens... You have to dig before buying.
Is there any significance difference between 55-200 and 70-300 instead of more zoom range?

Prime lens have lesser lens elements than zoom lens and image quality of primes is much superior than zoom lens . to get the same quality images you have to invest in zooms costing 60k upwards. 55 200 is a entry level zoom with vibration reduction . there is 70 300 vr which offers more reach but costs four times as 55200 but image quality is may not be even one and half times more . to get perceivable image quality you have to go for minimum 70 200 f4 VR with is around 80k .
18 140 is a wide to short tele zoom if you already have a kit lens no need to buy it .
To get a better idea, will be image quality be better than kit 18-55 or they both are completely same in optics, just with more zoom?

With your high resolution photos, you can very well notice the difference in IQ. 70-300 is superior build, FX format, no front rotation, better focus.. Just don't go with our suggestion without doing your own research. Note these models, and read/watch reviews and check some samples from sites like flickr and then decide.

1. what kind of photography you want to get into? are you a travel photographer or street or portraiture?
2. how important is VR for you? do you want to run and gun or take your time composing shots and may be using a tripod?
3. is the detail in the image important or the entire frame?

I think answers to these questions is very important before you throw away 500 dollars on a lens.

1. what kind of photography you want to get into? are you a travel photographer or street or portraiture?
2. how important is VR for you? do you want to run and gun or take your time composing shots and may be using a tripod?
3. is the detail in the image important or the entire frame?

I think answers to these questions is very important before you throw away 500 dollars on a lens.
1. Travel nd portraiture
2. I dont have enough time to compose as i travel in groups. I only use a tripod if the frame is delicious enough.
3. Detail

Benro 880 EX is quiet a strudy tripod and on a budget. was selling on amazon for 1500 last I checked. If you are into travel and portrait photography then you should look for a good hot shoe flash. If you are concerned about how the quality of pictures will be by a particular lens, head over to dxomark.com. There you can search the lens of your choice, with that lens select your camera body. It will then show you qualities like perceived megapixels, contrasts etc. you can compare the value of two lens.

Will the

Will the 55-200 be able to provide crisp pics like 35mm prime? Do it serve the purpose as telephoto better than all in range? How about 18-140 if you have any idea of that?
Since you have just started I reckon go slow. Dont buy anything for the first two months. Analyse your use and then decide. Till then you can buy some basic must have stuff like
1) A daily carry case like the Lowepro Toploader Zoom AW 50 This is all weather so no worries about rain or anything. Also you can still keep this after you upgrade to a bigger bag.
2) Screen guard for the back display.
3) Lens cleaning brush / pen.
4) UV filter for your kit lens.
5) DONT buy the cheap sub 2k aluminium tripods. They are no good. Wait for a month or two and then invest in a good sturdy tripod as per your use. If you are not seriously shooting landscapes and stuff that require tripod as a must have then try a Joby GP3 GorillaPod SLR-Zoom Flexible Compact Tripod. I find this very useful outdoors. Is good for my canon 700D + 18-135kit lens.
6) Again dont invest in any other accessory for first two months since you might not be making the most calculated decision as per your needs and usage.
I had gathered lot of stuff in the early 1month which was actually the stuff I used the least. Later on also I kept on adding a lot of stuff but it was based on what I was using it for and need based. Which proved very helpful. Check my old thread here.

Since you have just started I reckon go slow. Dont buy anything for the first two months. Analyse your use and then decide. Till then you can buy some basic must have stuff like
1) A daily carry case like the Lowepro Toploader Zoom AW 50 This is all weather so no worries about rain or anything. Also you can still keep this after you upgrade to a bigger bag.
2) Screen guard for the back display.
3) Lens cleaning brush / pen.
4) UV filter for your kit lens.
5) DONT buy the cheap sub 2k aluminium tripods. They are no good. Wait for a month or two and then invest in a good sturdy tripod as per your use. If you are not seriously shooting landscapes and stuff that require tripod as a must have then try a Joby GP3 GorillaPod SLR-Zoom Flexible Compact Tripod. I find this very useful outdoors. Is good for my canon 700D + 18-135kit lens.
6) Again dont invest in any other accessory for first two months since you might not be making the most calculated decision as per your needs and usage.
I had gathered lot of stuff in the early 1month which was actually the stuff I used the least. Later on also I kept on adding a lot of stuff but it was based on what I was using it for and need based. Which proved very helpful. Check my old thread here.
Right now i will only invest in a prime lens,tripod and camera bag. I am thinking of a telephoto in feb 2016. I am researching for it since i need to know how much i have to save from now to get that.

I am highly confused between 55-200 and 70-300 as both have a huge price difference and i will have to decide one from now so that i can save accordingly.

1. Travel nd portraiture
35mm is ideal for travel photography. I use 50mm most of the times. having a big zoom is always a problem. they are heavy, take a long time to focus, etc... stick to 35mm for all the travel photos even if you have a 200mm you wont find it useful most of the times. if you cant frame with 35mm, you should move yourself. ;)
for portrature, since yours is a crop sensor, you should buy a 50mm preferably a f2 or greater if you can afford.
2. I dont have enough time to compose as i travel in groups. I only use a tripod if the frame is delicious enough.
Then you will need autofocus, but with autofocus, you wont be able to focus at the edges.
3. Detail
no zooms, only primes. get out of nikon world and try looking for zeiss, leica, minolta rokkor lenses. almost all the good lenses with best image quality are manuals and also very costly but old you can buy used old 1970s lenses for very cheap.
What about nikon 85mm f/1.8G as telephoto?
would be a 135mm on a full frame, which means you will have to stand around 5meters away from a person to take their closup. good for portraiture but 50mm would be ideal. on the other hand, its a good tele-photo if you are on the streets and take a closeup of a person without spooking them.
btw, I have a minolta linup for my camera. all of them are minolta rokkors and all of them are manual, full metal construction, 1970s lenses with excellent image quality.
here is the price list
minolta rokkor-x 45mm f2 - 30AUD
minolta MD rokkor 58mm F1.4 - 115 AUD
minolta mc rokkor pg 50mm f.14 - 150 AUD
minolta tele rokkor pf f 2.8 - 115 AUD
minolta w-rokkor sg 27mm f3.5 - 40USD
I am telling this because I want you to think before you spend 450 on a single lens :)

Last edited:
Back