Camera DSLR accessory help.

Which city are you from? See if you could rent or borrow some of the lenses to test them out and then decide for your self what suits you.
85 mm is more of a portrait lens. Its generally not used as a telephoto lens. Most prefer zoom lens as telephoto lens somewhere in the range of 70-400. Anything less that that not really a 'telephoto' lens. More than that would be super tele in my view. I like the AF-S DX NIKKOR 35mm f/1.8G lens as a walk around lens. Best value for money for the crop sensor bodies in Nikon.
You can use it from portrait to street to landscape to astro photography. :)

Last edited:
I assumed you know what you wanted when you said you wanted telephoto lens. But seems like you're not sure about it. As onlyravi suggested, take time and use your kit lens and 35mm if you have. You will have idea what focal length you need as you use. Till than borrow lenses from your friend or someone and get to know about them.

any way 35 mm on a crop body is close to 50mm which is what human eye sees, so, its ideal for street photography. 85mm on crop body is more like 125 mm and I think that perspective whould be very awkward if you intend to do street photography

any way 35 mm on a crop body is close to 50mm which is what human eye sees, so, its ideal for street photography. 85mm on crop body is more like 125 mm and I think that perspective whould be very awkward if you intend to do street photography

What i intend was to use the 85mm from a distance making it kinda telephoto with variable distance management through walking as i dont find any zoom lens with that good performance as a prime.

Although people say you can walk and zoom in reality it doesn't work that way and its a really short focal length for a tele . its a very good portrait lens and nothing else . I would suggest get a 55 200 for some 8k and use it for some time . when you sell loss will be less than a 70,300

Although people say you can walk and zoom in reality it doesn't work that way and its a really short focal length for a tele . its a very good portrait lens and nothing else . I would suggest get a 55 200 for some 8k and use it for some time . when you sell loss will be less than a 70,300

I can buy 70-300 as it fits my budget completely. I just don't want to spend anonymously on anything that is not upto my expectations. Thats my main point. If 70-300 is a good lens that can provide me sharp images then i will spend once in that as i wont be able to buy those lenses costing 80s of thousands or lakhs till 5-6 years. The only thing I want is a review from a 70-300 user. I have used prime lenses and i want that telephoto that can come most close to the prime in my budget be it 55-200 or 70-300 or xyz i just want the best telephoto in budget of 30k that can come best closest to the 35 or 50mm prime in terms of sharpness and image quality. :)

no zooms under 30k can come close in image quality of any prime lens . if you are planing not to change the tele for next five years go for 70 300vr its much better built than 55 200 ,but dont expect three times image quality than a 55 200 .

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1074302-REG/mitakon_mtk85mmbkffx_85mm_for_2_lens.html
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/769424-REG/Rokinon_85MAF_N_85mm_f_1_4_Aspherical_Lens.html
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1110678-REG/rokinon_135m_n_135mm_f_2_0_lens_for.html
All the above are good lenses but they are manual lenses so you wont have any IS or autofocus. but they all are full metal construction and sturdy.

but if you want my advice, try using a telephoto lens without tripod and then decide. the image stabilized lenses wont automatically give you great images. they just give you a 2-4 stop advantage. anything over 135mm(85mm with crop sensor) will require tripod even with image stabilization.

I can buy 70-300 as it fits my budget completely. I just don't want to spend anonymously on anything that is not upto my expectations. Thats my main point.
now coming to lenses like 70-300. they are not fixed aperture, which means that at 70mm you can have a max of f4.5 and at 300mm it would be a max of f5.6. Trust me anything less than F4 will look like a photo from iphone. The advantage with dslr is the higher fstops like F2.

Back