Storage Solutions DVD Writer recommendations!

samrulez

Disciple
Hey guys,
I know this has been discussed over and over again...but plz just once more.:)
Which is the best DVD writer in the market???
Should I go for Lite-on or Sony?
Is Sony DR 170c nice??
Thanx in advance,
Sam:)

Hey..the drive to get today is the LG H42N for abt 1.7k..

Alternatively, if you want to use the drive for quality scanning of your burnt dvds, then get the Benq 1655...available at techzone, lamington for 2.3k...PM me if you want their number!

Some ppl have had probs with the LG H42N lately ... other options you could consider are Asus 1608P3S which is Pio 111 OEM or Sony AW-G170A

Oh yeah, ive heard about some reading problems with the LG H42 as well...so my vote goes for the benq 1655..

Contact Kamal from TechZone:

Code:

memories_dv said:
Oh yeah, ive heard about some reading problems with the LG H42 as well...so my vote goes for the benq 1655..
Contact Kamal from TechZone:
Code:
:rofl: :rofl: only the First Stock of H42N had problems that too only certain batches,there was a Re-issue From LG :p Problems are sorted out :eek:hyeah: for reference to buy here in india look for import date >= Jan 2k7,a F/W is expected soon from LG,3rd party already out for crossflashing

prob with 1655 is majority wat u get is Reburished pieces :rofl: put in a New box packin & new Mfg date,since 50's series did well from benq,they want to still get Max mileage from this model until it dries out completely,seen those my self blunt head of screws tells the story :D

& even if ur getting 1 year warranty from Benq 1650/55 (even for so called new pieces) chances are u wont get back a 1650/55 on Rma :p Benq will give u thr new 1680 Will S**K big time.

My recommendation in order of preference:

* Pioneer 112 (if u can source one - Excellent performer)
* LG H42N (Import Date >= Jan 2k7)
* Lite-On LH-20A1P ( good performer)
* benq 1680.

hope this helps u out :hap2:

none of the other drives you suggested can do a quality test, that lite-on is only good for checking dvd-rs by the way not cd-r's.

Look i would love to be able to have more drives...but state of the damn tech makes the liteon the only drive worth buying.

of course if u can afford to buy more than one, then sure go for the LG.

If you can't test for quality, the drive is uselss imo. I bought my writer just to write dvd-r's and to be able to tell if those dvd-rs will be readable in the future.

The liteons are not the greatest burners. Get them to do scanning if u are so paranoid. For high quality burns, I'd take a pio anyday.

blr_p said:
none of the other drives you suggested can do a quality test, that lite-on is only good for checking dvd-rs by the way not cd-r's.

Look i would love to be able to have more drives...but state of the damn tech makes the liteon the only drive worth buying.

of course if u can afford to buy more than one, then sure go for the LG.

If you can't test for quality, the drive is uselss imo. I bought my writer just to write dvd-r's and to be able to tell if those dvd-rs will be readable in the future.

End of the Day its Better to get a good burner than a good error scanner

Chaos said:
The liteons are not the greatest burners. Get them to do scanning if u are so paranoid. For high quality burns, I'd take a pio anyday.
agree with u :hap2:

Chief-Techie said:
:rofl: :rofl: only the First Stock of H42N had problems that too only certain batches,there was a Re-issue From LG :p Problems are sorted out :eek:hyeah: for reference to buy here in india look for import date >= Jan 2k7,a F/W is expected soon from LG,3rd party already out for crossflashing

prob with 1655 is majority wat u get is Reburished pieces :rofl: put in a New box packin & new Mfg date,since 50's series did well from benq,they want to still get Max mileage from this model until it dries out completely,seen those my self blunt head of screws tells the story :D

& even if ur getting 1 year warranty from Benq 1650/55 (even for so called new pieces) chances are u wont get back a 1650/55 on Rma :p Benq will give u thr new 1680 Will S**K big time.

Ive seen your claims..now, care to quote references? Where did you get this info? New Jan 2007 H42s..refurb benq 1655s...links please or stfu please. ok please? thenk yoo please. :tongue:

after reading all the post can you all explain which one is better benq 1655 or lg42n/44n.also is dvd-ram a necessity and its use.

Chief-Techie said:
End of the Day its Better to get a good burner than a good error scanner
Oh sure, provided you *ONLY* get good media to write with and never have a bad batch.

If not, the best writer in the world is not going to help otherwise.

I've seen 90+ with that 201A on some scans. How is this not very good ?

My vote (and TechHeads vote too im sure) still goes to the new Benq 1650/1655 OEMs from TechZone. ChiefTechie is just jealous he couldnt get in on any Benq-action :p

memories_dv said:
Ive seen your claims..now, care to quote references? Where did you get this info? New Jan 2007 H42s..refurb benq 1655s...links please or stfu please. ok please? thenk yoo please. :tongue:

search cdfreaks LG burner thread u will know wat i telling :rofl: :rofl:
regard to Benq i have enough basic sense to distinguish between a refurished & a new one.been using Optical drives for 9 years now :D

memories_dv said:
My vote (and TechHeads vote too im sure) still goes to the new Benq 1650/1655 OEMs from TechZone. ChiefTechie is just jealous he couldnt get in on any Benq-action :p

:rofl: who said i am jealous ? did i ever say ? ... for ur information i own 6 optical drives which includes Benq's,now its ur turn to be jealous :rofl:

Chief-Techie said:
for ur information i own 6 optical drives which includes Benq's,now

clears throat

..u sure bout that last thing there ;) ?

cos..i remember a certain someone, not too long ago, offering to swap his LG 18x H42N Drive for my BenQ cos he missed out.

would have been deal of the yr if that worked out eh :p

Back