EMV Chip enabled card prompting to swipe on POS machine

so, for the last few days, when ever i've used my chip debit card for pos purchases, the person handling the POS first tries to dip the card , gets a prompt on the machine to swipe it itstead. The card is just 1 year old and the chip embedded area looks fine to me . Ive seen chip cards in worser condition than this that work flawlessly.
What could be the reason? Could it be possible that the card is damaged? Here's a snap

chip card.jpg

Should not happen. speak to ICICI and try to get it resolved.
Thanks Vivek and Sid. Spoke to ICICI. The lady at the other end said that the chip in the card is damaged. I asked her how could she confirm this. She said based on the response code in their system, it is showing as damaged (can they ascertain this? ) Anyway, she took a request for a new replacement card,I I insisted on unchargeable as it has been only 1 year since I got the card. She agreed for no charges, not sure how true it is.

Thanks Vivek and Sid. Spoke to ICICI. The lady at the other end said that the chip in the card is damaged. I asked her how could she confirm this. She said based on the response code in their system, it is showing as damaged (can they ascertain this? ) Anyway, she took a request for a new replacement card,I I insisted on unchargeable as it has been only 1 year since I got the card. She agreed for no charges, not sure how true it is.
Just go to the Bank mate. We can't tell you shizz about that error unless we were from that Bank's IT/CBS system.

The card reader does return a different error code, to the reader's software/firmware atleast, in case the chip or magnetic stripe is unreadable or there is a parsing error. How this is getting transmitted to ICICI, since a transaction has not been performed, is a different question.

Have you faced intermittent issues while using this debit card at an ATM as well? Although replacing the card would be the easiest solution

@Niks I haven't used the card at an ATM in a while, I will use it today and report back. Does the chip come into play at ATM machines as well? Isn't it only the magnetic stripe?

Funnily, the card worked just fine at 3 different merchants yesterday using the dip method :confused:
Used at an atm, that went smoothly as well . confused
Wondering , if the response code thing the agent told me , is true at all

Back