Encounter with Noobs !!!!

Noob myself here.

I started watching English TV series somewhere around mid of 2009. The only series anyone would suggest me was LOST. I was also alien to the concept of "seasons" and "series premiere" and "pilot". So i started with LOST and the first episode was titled "Pilot". Now I thought that Pilot meant that the episode was somehow related to the Airline Pilot. Moreover since the episode shows airline crash and whatnot, i was pretty sure it was related to the airline pilot. I also initially (first 15-20 minutes of episode 1) thought that Jack in LOST was the airline pilot himself and the episode was based on him.
I don't know how and when the idea dawned upon me that Pilot means the 1st episode of a new TV series and not the real airline pilot. :p

Last edited:
Noob myself here.

I started watching English TV series somewhere around mid of 2009. The only series anyone would suggest me was LOST. I was also alien to the concept of "seasons" and "series premiere" and "pilot". So i started with LOST and the first episode was titled "Pilot". Now I thought that Pilot meant that the episode was somehow related to the Airline Pilot. Moreover since the episode shows airline crash and whatnot, i was pretty sure it was related to the airline pilot. I also initially (first 15-20 minutes of episode 1) thought that Jack in LOST was the airline pilot myself and the episode was based on him.
I don't know how and when but the idea that Pilot means the 1st episode of a new TV series and not the real airline pilot. :p

I'm Guilty of that as well. :p

I somehow knew that the pilot part was not linked to any airline carriers :p
But yes I did search it to be sure about the definition I had in mind. I have searched a lot of things that I saw first time in TV Shows.

I have searched a lot of things that I saw first time in TV Shows.
Same here. Even I used to search for things I saw in some series. Ex. I searched for wrist weights made of iron bars since it was depicted like that in a series. Found out that only sand filled ones are available.
Also I searched for carbon fibre badminton rackets years back. Was totally disappointed when storekeeper showed me aluminum ones and didn't know what I was talking of. About 15-20 yrs back when I was searching for cfl lamp, shopkeepers thought I was a looney and told me they only had gls bulb.

Like ? Just curious.
This happens mostly with documentaries. Rest of the TV Shows I take lightly coz there is more of an entertainment factor and less of a learning experience.
When I watch documentaries I always land up on the Wiki page of the thing being described. For e.g. There was an 4 episode show of Modern Skyscrapers. All the 4 episodes were really brilliant. Also Big Bigger Biggest is really nice, which explains the issues people were facing with certain things which prompted them to improvise and achieve better results.
I always searched on the internet and gathered new / more information about the things depicted in the episode.
You don't wanna get me started on cars :p

I'm pretty sure that I have mentioned this in thread, but repeating it again.

I had a roommate in his 2nd year Comp B.Tech, He got his computer a bit earlier then me in 2nd year, so used to boast that he is good in computers etc. One day to bug him, I took the screen shot of his desktop(when he left for a few mins out of the room) and put it as wallpaper on his desktop. Removed all the Icons and put them in a folder in some other drive. Now when he was back and noticed that no click was working on the icons, was furious and then on me that you did something. I told him you are comp student, you should be able to correct it. :p .Anyway at the end I had tell him what I did.

Last edited:
This happened a few weeks back. A kid I know wanted to play GTA 5 on his PC. I told him it was not released yet. I asked him what his PC config was. He replied - i5, 4GB. I asked which graphics card he had. He said i5. Then I said I know the i5 has integrated graphics but I doubt if it could play GTA 5 at good fps. I told him to get good screen play, he should ideally get a good graphics card and install it in his PC. He nodded like he understood everything I said. Next question he asked me was - where can I download a graphics card for free? I asked him why he required a free graphics card and he replied saying he had unlimited 512 Kbps internet. Had to explain to him that you can't download hardware of the net. Kid s looking at me like I was lying. :|

This happened a few weeks back. A kid I know wanted to play GTA 5 on his PC. I told him it was not released yet. I asked him what his PC config was. He replied - i5, 4GB. I asked which graphics card he had. He said i5. Then I said I know the i5 has integrated graphics but I doubt if it could play GTA 5 at good fps. I told him to get good screen play, he should ideally get a good graphics card and install it in his PC. He nodded like he understood everything I said. Next question he asked me was - where can I download a graphics card for free? I asked him why he required a free graphics card and he replied saying he had unlimited 512 Kbps internet. Had to explain to him that you can't download hardware of the net. Kid s looking at me like I was lying. :|

It's illegal for anybody below 18 to play GTA5..
Your ip noted an advice for legal proceedings... /S

OK to the point even if he is above 18..dont suggest him to gaming and importantly ask him not to reproduce...

This is like in year 2003, My Friend called me the same day to come his place, saying he has installed internet and insisted me to create an Yahoo id for him.
When i went to his place, I was like WTF.. Where is the Wire and How will you connect? :bored: In fact, My Friend that day went to an Cyber cafe searched in yahoo.. typed "Free internet software" and downloaded some AOL connect software and installed it. :hungry:

He is like I'll press connect and it will.. When he went a head, it was showing AOL search default search page.. Poor Fellow was trying to connect and later i told him you would need a wire connected to a telephone ( Thanks God, I had some basic idea Dial up internet then!! )

I remember a case close to a decade ago. Had gone to a CD shop to rent a movie. I pointed to Dr. No(James Bond movie) and the owner responded like - "You want D R Number??" :banghead::banghead:. Always brings a smile to my face when i remember it.

One more - This happened just a few months back. My cousin(IT professional) wanted to download a movie. She had heard of torrents from someone and downloaded the torrent file. Calls me and says the movie is not playing. Then she notices the file is only 500kb and asks me how can a movie be only 500kb:rolleyes::rolleyes:. I start laughing and she gets pissed and asks me "how should i know"!!

Had changed my car a couple of years ago and was trying to cross a patch of road with mud & slush (not too much, just some)
The car got stuck in the middle and refused to move through this patch which cars with much thinner tyres had easily passed through
A bunch of on lookers volunteered to help and push the car out of the mess but the damn thing would not budge :dead:
It was embarrassing to say the least - till a motoring enthusiast friend i called to get a tip on how to get out of this mess asked me to press the DSC/DTC function off
Took a second to get out after that

(traction control was causing the wheel power to cut off when it would detect wheel slippage on the slush the car was stuck in)

While recalling some funny moments with some old friends I got to know that in very early days of computer assembling in yr 2000s, one friend who was very much curious to get his pc assembled from his friend finalized every component and left out psu/smps.
When his assembler friend asked how can you left out psu?
& this man replied-- I already have stabilizer and electric board in my room with 6* 3 pins & lots of spare wires, why should I invest money in buying another electric box?? I will rather splurge on game cds. :banghead:

Back