Enerlyf - Energy saver

blr_p

Skilled
Came across this product. Anyone tried it ?

One sure way to save on energy costs is to switch off a power consumption device

https://www.enerlyf.com/

enerlyf.JPG

What if the AC already does this with its own thermostat?

ac has inbuilt feature to turn itself off.JPG

It's only for non inverter ACs. . Check the FAQ for more details.

It works only with AC's that have a remote by becoming one and controlling the AC via IR. No electrical connection with the AC. Meaning will not work unless AC can be controlled by remote.

Works with only one AC at a time.

The graphic shows it can control both Fan & AC but the FAQ discourages it.

PS:Installation Engineers Available In Select Cities (Bangalore, Hyderabad, Chennai, Mumbai & Delhi)

Last edited:
Way overpriced. Seen similar devices selling for 1200. These have been around for quite some time. This is DOA because of the price more than anything else. At 1000-1200 they make sense to use in a home with old window ACs that haven't given up their ghost yet or the cheaper non inverter split ACs. But yeah, for some with a inverter AC, these are completely pointless.

inverter ac start from as low as 23k. Looks like an DOA product
I did a post over ten years back comparing efficiency of various AC's and it seemed that buying the cheaper less efficient worked out cheaper than paying more for more efficient and still more expensive inverter AC's. As the break even period was so far off as to not be worth it. You went with more efficient for other reasons, features say or reliability but not for savings as was being touted at the time.

I used the specs from the catalogs to arrive at that conclusion. Better would have been using a clamp meter but that kind of meter is expensive even today. Well, not too expensive but getting actual real world data was not possible.

Point is there will still be a lot of those cheaper AC's around so that's where this product could help.

All this thing does is shut off power to the ac in early morning and switch on the fan. I think if you buy programmable switch that will toggle turning on a fan when ac is off and vice versa, it will be cheaper. Just need to program the switch to turn off the ac at 3 am or so in morning when everyone is in deep sleep and switch on the fan.

Its basically a temperature controlled switch, not just time based. When desired temp is reached and sustained for some time, it will switch of the AC and switch on the fan. When temp again goes above a upper threshold, it switches it on again and switches off the fan. Conventional AC's switch off/on the compressor based on temperature too, but they don't switch on the fan which helps in maintaining that temperature for longer.

Inverter AC's on the other hand reach a target temperature and then slow down to a level where its just enough to maintain the temperature. That is one of the reasons for their their efficiency.

This concept can't work for everyone. We used to have bedrooms on the top floor. Since the roof used to bear sunlight all day, it wasn't actually beneficial to switch on the fan as it used to make the room hotter instead. We used to keep our ACs at 25 and never switch on the fan. Also concept of needing warmer temperatures during night also doesn't seem something that would work for many including me. And nearly all ACs have these options which keep raising temp by 1°C every hour. Personally, my sleep used to get disturbed very easily if temp were to increase. In fact, my mother used to use this to wake us up, by switching off the AC and switch on the fan.

If its using IR remote commands to turn off or On, won't the beep sound of the AC alone cause you to wake up.
The split unit AC fan will still continue to blow air, while the compressor is Off, so this product is pointless. Unless one has those old window ac.

If its using IR remote commands to turn off or On, won't the beep sound of the AC alone cause you to wake up.
The split unit AC fan will still continue to blow air, while the compressor is Off, so this product is pointless. Unless one has those old window ac.

You have to wire the AC and the fan through it. It does not use IR. Basically has a couple of relays that it will control based on temperature.

And yeah, it is only meaningful for those struck on old ACs and yes there are a lot of them still. My old rented flat used to have a window AC that was installed in 2004. I used to get bills in excess of Rs3000 for the sin of using it. Now in my own flat, I get bill of 1200 for usage of two inverter ACs in summer.

And yeah, people who are clueless about how their modern ACs work might also buy them based the marketing. Thankfully, this one is priced prohibitively high.

How the times have changed!!! My mother used to switch off the fan to wake us up.
Of course, this used to happen as well before we had ACs. But, I never used to fuss getting up when I was young. It was quite later in life, after college when I was working from home, that I started making a fuss getting up, and mom used to deploy this tactic of switching off the AC and that too from the power point so I had to get up even if just to switch it on.

As for this device, aren't AC thermostats themselves accurate enough.

How the times have changed!!! My mother used to switch off the fan to wake us up.

And there was a time when a fan referred to something that you used to hold in your hand and operate manually and a ceiling fan was something that you had to be rich enough to hire someone to operate for you.

Times do change and technology advances with it.

As for this device, aren't AC thermostats themselves accurate enough.

Thermostats in conventional ACs switch off and on the AC at set thresholds. This is inefficient as the AC has to again work to cool the room to required temperature which is why inverter ACs which try to maintain the temperature at the same level are more efficient. By switching on the fan, this device tries to get the same effect and ensures that the AC is switched on less frequently.

I did a post over ten years back comparing efficiency of various AC's and it seemed that buying the cheaper less efficient worked out cheaper than paying more for more efficient and still more expensive inverter AC's. As the break even period was so far off as to not be worth it. You went with more efficient for other reasons, features say or reliability but not for savings as was being touted at the time.

I used the specs from the catalogs to arrive at that conclusion. Better would have been using a clamp meter but that kind of meter is expensive even today. Well, not too expensive but getting actual real world data was not possible.

Point is there will still be a lot of those cheaper AC's around so that's where this product could help.

I too did that few years back and bought a cheaper AC instead of inverter model that was almost 2.5x. That's quite true even today for many devices. Better check what one actually gets rather than go by the ads.

Back