English TV series discussion

Any comments on orphan black ? Watched 3-4 episodes. But am not feeling it. Does it get better ? The whole story of..
SPOILERS: The whole story about clones being hunted, seems like a regular thriller..

Any other sci-fi / fantasy shows with complete story lines ? Mini series are welcome

Anybody watching the The Witcher?
It was a bit meh when you consider it was being hyped as the next GoT but Cavill is spot on as Geralt.

On another note go see Watchmen now thats the entire Season 1 is out.

I watched it on a week to week basis and it was a bit convoluted for the first 4-5 episodes in terms of clarity but boy am I glad that I stuck with it.
The finale is hands down one of the best in TV series history in how all the threads are tied together with a Inception-esque twist.

My peronal rating would be 9/10 for Watchmen Season 1. I daresay it surpasses Zack Synder's version by leaps and bounds.

Alan Moore hates every take on his creations but I guess he would be proud of the subversive take on his source material here critiquing the current world now much like he did for Thatcher/Reagans' right wing authoritarianism in Watchmen and V For Vendetta.

Watchmen was a good watch. Not best in the history or anything, but good. Mostly a bit muted cause of Doctor Manhattan's limitations.

The Witcher was fun to watch. The quest type episodes were fun too! They really did well with those. At first I felt the warped timeline was a bit confusing for new viewers with no book or games experience, but it was necessary to bring Ciri in from first episode.

Completed Unbelievable on Netflix. Damn good show, which is based on a true incident. Kaitlyn Dever plays the role of the victim almost perfectly. A must watch IMO.

Dracula - interesting take on the legend. funny and gory. some watch
I thought the first 2 episodes were decent but it went off the rails in Episode 3 into crap territory. I had high hopes for the show keeping in mind it is Steven Moffat.

The accent and the voice of Helsing was irritating as hell to me.

But at least its not following the Netflix standard of stretching everything out to 10 episodes.

Unbelievable is a harrowing watch and well worth the time. Hope they don't do a "13 Reasons why"-esque extension and mess it up.

You is awesome due to Badgley alone. Although Love was a bit contrived compared to Beck from Season 1.

Any comments on orphan black ? Watched 3-4 episodes. But am not feeling it. Does it get better ? The whole story of..
SPOILERS: The whole story about clones being hunted, seems like a regular thriller..

Any other sci-fi / fantasy shows with complete story lines ? Mini series are welcome

I liked it personally and would say that the lead deserves award(s) and she did get it finally (not sure when). More in spoilers below.

Since the same person is acting as different people in the show, it is easy to forget that it is same women doing all the separate parts as those personalities are so distinct (that's how good her acting is) and it gets even better when inside the show, a character is pretending to be a different character and how that resultant acting needs to have shades of primary character and the character she is pretending to be (not sure if I am making sense).

I liked it personally and would say that the lead deserves award(s) and she did get it finally (not sure when). More in spoilers below.

Since the same person is acting as different people in the show, it is easy to forget that it is same women doing all the separate parts as those personalities are so distinct (that's how good her acting is) and it gets even better when inside the show, a character is pretending to be a different character and how that resultant acting needs to have shades of primary character and the character she is pretending to be (not sure if I am making sense).
yeah. Acting is real good. I am through 3 seasons. It got enjoyable after the first few episodes, but.. spoiler for season 3 follow..
Season 3 felt stretched out. The whole alison sequence felt like just a filler. I hope it gets better in 4th

Giri/Haji 6/10.

Honestly I don't know how this series is getting such good reviews with so many discrepancies. I stopped watching at episode 7 as it was becoming too much for me.
How does a Japanese cop dare get mixed up with Albanian mafia pulling a hit in London?

How a British cop who testified against her boyfriend for planting evidence is okay with harbouring a suspect in a murder case in her own home?
Add that to the massive blowup that the hit operation caused in Soho.

How does a petty criminal/driver suddenly become a elite Yakuza hitman after appearing in London?

Why would a East End thug be fooled by the promise of expanding into Yakuza territory in Japan and spark off a gang war between the families?

On another note Japanese gun control laws are the strictest in the world and the entire number of gun deaths in a year is lower than the number in this series alone.

One of the few shows which managed to end on a high note and not stretch it out unnecessarily.

Also I found one 20 min video of dissection of each season's intro breakdown but haven't actually seen the video (will watch after I am done with series). I did notice so many small and big things in that Intro. That Intro is splendid.

Pandemic on Netflix (8/10)

One of the best documentaries I have seen so far on Netflix after the big trio.

Virunga (9.5/10)

A hard hitting piece and I wondered how it didn't manage an Oscar win. Then I saw it was up against CitizenFour which is just tough luck.

I don't think I have seen any documentary where the crew have taken the kind of risks these guys did.

Last edited:
If you still haven't watched Fleabag, I'd highly recommend you to watch it.

Other recommendations: Mad Men (My favourite serie of all time)
Mr. Robot
IT Crowd
Dark
Money Heist
Post automatically merged:

If you aren't necessarily looking for a happy ending and would be up for watching something dark then:
Euphoria

Last edited:
Back