Enslaved: Odyssey to the West - Discussion Thread

Never paid any attention to this game (I am not even sure if I have heard about this game). Anyways I am reading some good things about this game. Is the story really good? It looks very similar to wolverine (game) I mean the visuals & the controls.

I'm yet to play it, bought it for 5$ on steam sale. I have read good reviews of it on steam , graphics are really good and it has a good story and interesting characters , plus its made by Ninja Theory which I didn't knew initially as this game got overshadowed for me back in my PS3 days and I bought Castlevania Lords of Shadows instead

Ninja Theory also made Heavenly Sword on PS3 , which I loved so had to buy this, I enjoyed that game even more than God of War to be honest.

Completed awesome & gorgeous looking game. The boss fights & gameplay are really satisfying however the gameplay gets better when you get that cloud. Nothing to say about the story & character development as you may already know they are the main highlights of this game. Anyways overall a must play game.

Music score by Nitin Sawhney was one of the key elements for me in this. The score during menu/cloud trip lingered on.
Ninja theory would be really crazy to not pursue a sequel for this game.

Music score by Nitin Sawhney was one of the key elements for me in this. The score during menu/cloud trip lingered on.
Oh of course! Thanks for bringing that up I was unaware of the composer. The music is really fantastic especially the menu music. Sometimes I would just stay at the menu only to hear it.

However I would not vote for a sequel unless its really required. I mean most of the sequels are used as cash cows. If there is a solid story then they should make it otherwise it will not be a good idea to ruin the reputation of this title by making a pathetic sequel.

@Black_Hawk If you can then wait when its available again on steam sale.
The pc version looks fantastic as mentioned earlier! I would say some levels of it just looks better than The last of us & uncharted 2. Though I have not played the console version, I think it looks good too. UE 3 engine at its best. As some of you may know this was actually planned for a movie using UE 3 engine but later it ended up as a game. Thus we may guess the reasons behind the engrossing story , cinema like dialogues (Character interaction & there are no unnecessary or idiotic dialogues) & character development.
The boss battles are certainly good especially the one where you battle the dog for the first time. Using the cloud & chasing him was just icing on the cake! It is one of the best boss battles I came across after a long time. Rest of them are good too but not as epic as this one.Yes this game has some flaws too but they are not so big & can be overlooked. If you are an action adventure genre fan then you should not miss it.

Last edited:

great! didn't know that. i had played the game long back on X360, and had liked it very much for its immersiveness (ie, the story, its execution, and interaction between the two characters), and perhaps soundtracks of a few levels too. should check them now.

P.S. - 'Monkey' looked like Viraat Kohli! :D

Last edited:
I checked out the game cutscenes on youtube and if this were a live action movie then I doubt people will appreciate it for story and character development.

IMO some things look better in/as just games. many-a-times moviewallahs make an utter mess while adapting a game to a movie; perhaps bad execution on their part, but still, some titles are just to be enjoyed as games. ;)

I checked out the game cutscenes on youtube and if this were a live action movie then I doubt people will appreciate it for story and character development.

Ofc the content would have been rewritten/modified to suit the game. That is something obvious.

Oh of course! Thanks for bringing that up I was unaware of the composer. The music is really fantastic especially the menu music. Sometimes I would just stay at the menu only to hear it.

I specifically sifted through the credits for his name. Was pleasantly surprised.
And yeah, i too would keep the controller away when the menu came up. Got both the soundtracks with me now.

'Monkey' looked like VK!

I referred to him as VK throughout :p Trip looked stunning really.

Played the dlc for few mins called pigsys perfect 10. Honestly I found it just okay. Not as good as the actual game. A certain negative point about this game is like IGN stated.
While Enslaved is a good 10-12 hours long, once it's finished, it's finished
Like spacescreamer said. It was Planned for a movie. If it was made as a movie then obviously there would have been many changes.
The story is a re-imagining of the novel Journey to the West written by Wu Cheng'en.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enslaved:_Odyssey_to_the_West

Back