Storage Solutions Erase before RMA?

panther

Adept
Hi,

I am planning to submit my Seagate HDD for RMA it has bad sectore and spin up error, like to which software can erase the HDD so that nothing is recoverable, please suggest tried and tested Software.

Thanks.

@panther, just format the drive 3 times.

If you are super-paranoid of your data landing in the wrong hands OR work for some tope-level super-secret-secret organization then use the Darik Boot and Nuke program. And after that connect the hard-drive as a secondary and fill it completely with rubbish data (blank photographs for example).

Last edited by a moderator:
Try Eraser, CCleaner, etc: Best Free Secure Erase Utility

1-pass erase should be sufficient for your cause unless you are really paranoid about data theft. IMO the way all the service centers are overloaded with failing HDDs nowadays, it would be impractical for them to scan individual HDDs and dig up personal data.

I think that you may use some Big Data folder in which you keep your high definition videos etc.
Just format the disc once and then copy this big folder, over and over again until it fills up the complete Hard Drive. This way all the tracks of your old data will get covered up with this new data.
If you want even more safety, then you can repeat this complete process once more. After that I do not think there is any chance left for recovering the original data that you had on this hard drive.

If I am wrong in this assumption, then please correct me.

Thanks

Back