Ethernet printer to Wifi printer?

smnrock

Skilled
Hi guys,

I've old HP printer(LaserJet 2420) which has ethernet support (RJ45) and USB port as well. Is there a way to connect this to my wifi router? Since router is located in different room and printer will be in different room, i cannot run ethernet cable. So physical connection is not viable for me.

So is anyway i can access this printer through network?

I also have unused rpi 2, can this be used?

Basically i want to print directly from mobiles and tablets.

As long as the Pi connects from the room you want your printer, you can use it via wifi from anywhere.
Connect the printer via USB to the Pi, and share it from there.
Install a CUP's server, and get the Android CUPS printer app, and you can print via any device.

As long as the Pi connects from the room you want your printer, you can use it via wifi from anywhere.
Connect the printer via USB to the Pi, and share it from there.
Install a CUP's server, and get the Android CUPS printer app, and you can print via any device.
Thanks, i will try this method in the weekend. Hope I can print from iOS devices also using this method.

Rpi2 does not have wifi inbuilt. So you need to buy a wifi dongle. Out of the 4 ports of rpi2, use 1 to connect to Usb of the printer and other for dongle. Install CUPS (as suggested earlier) in raspian and print away!

If you know about RPI, then you run it headless. And remote connection ypu manage through ssh

Rpi2 does not have wifi inbuilt. So you need to buy a wifi dongle. Out of the 4 ports of rpi2, use 1 to connect to Usb of the printer and other for dongle. Install CUPS (as suggested earlier) in raspian and print away!

If you know about RPI, then you run it headless. And remote connection ypu manage through ssh
You hit right point, but will wifi dongle or a repeater (in case) work ?
I have same situations, but worked differently, since printer (had inbuilt support for wifi).
I will wait and apprecaite your comments. Thanks @manju_rn

@Futurized, so what do you require? The wifi dongle in RPI 2 will be able to connect to any wifi router making it as a PC which is a part of the network. Once a RPI2 is in a network, any peripheral devices will be able to shared based on their usage. I personally use RPI 2 as a switch to control various devices including lights and another RPI 3 which is being used a a media PC

That sounds like something I'd like to do. :)
How does it work?
Well, there are lot of ways to do. I actually now use RPI 3 + Arduino. The following site was my initial go to site http://www.instructables.com/id/Uber-Home-Automation-w-Arduino-Pi/ But I have now customized. For starters, you would need
- RPI 2 or 3
- a Screen, either a old iPad or 7inch screen that comes for RPI
- Wifi Bulbs (kind of cool to have, but you can do with relay switches)
- Relay switches
- good jumper cables
- Good knowledge of electicity
- a bit of programming (more than a bit actually)
However, there are plenty of sites that will provide software that you can install on RPI for basic controls.

Do a bit of research on this and start small - like just controlling switching on and off of a lamp to start with and build up based on your interest and customization

I've changed my printer to Samsung M2876, but the RJ45 port in that machine is broken. So I've setup cups in RPI 2(512MB) and connected the printer using usb. But the printing in this way is very slow, sometimes it takes few minutes to start printing depends on the document. I think RPI is doesn't have enough processing power for the printing. I had old hp chrombox lying unused, so i installed GalliumOS and setup CUPS again. Here printing performance is better than RP2 as expected. But still it cannot match the speed of native network printing directly processed by the printer. So i setup RAW printing in the CUPS and in windows clients, directly installed the printer driver. So the print job is processed by the windows clients itself and then sent to CUPS for further printing as RAW job. As expected here, the printing is almost instantaneous.

So now the question is, how the same RAW printing task can be achieved from Android and IOS devices? I did install Samsung print service from play store, but its not helping.

Anyone has experience in setting up the printer as RAW in CUPS and successfully printing from mobile devices?

So now the question is, how the same RAW printing task can be achieved from Android and IOS devices? I did install Samsung print service from play store, but its not helping.

Anyone has experience in setting up the printer as RAW in CUPS and successfully printing from mobile devices?
I have none as i've found the mobile print apps offer less print options than their equivalent for PC

What about this for android

Back