Ethernet wiring help for home

House is under construction and I am thinking of doing ethernet wiring when concealed electrical wiring is performed. House is a 2BHK with once room each on either side of hall. Total width is 10+10+10 feet. Need suggestions on how best to go about it. Arrangement is like 1st room->hall->second room

Requirement
Ethernet wiring to connect TV in living room (20ft distance to first room) and Desktop in second Bed room (30ft distance). Internet connection will come into the first bed room. Wiring needs to go from this first bedroom to the living room near TV and to the second room near desktop.

I have a ASUS DSL-N10E ADSL modem+router. I am planning to connect the two ethernet cables to the LAN port of this router. This will be in the first room.

What will be the materials required and how to ask the electrician to do it?

Why not just get a wifi adapter for the desktop?
It would help you cut down the wires a bit.

I am planning to add a basic NAS drive for streaming content across rooms and also just for future proofing. Since wiring is being done, I thought I might as well get the ethernet done.

On second thoughts, I am now thinking of having the modem+router in the hall and get ethernet cabling into the rooms on either side. That way the wireless router will be in the middle giving me pretty good signal in both the rooms.

You need a second set of conduits to carry the wire - can't mix it with electrical conduits. A 1" conduit can carry two or three CAT6 cables. If you have a nice way of hiding it, you can directly terminate the ends to cable plugs. If you need wallplates, electrical shops have some, little pricey at Rs. 300 or so each.

Cat6 will give you all the bandwidth you need and where possible is infinitely preferable to any sort of wireless connection. The cost of cutting the wall and putting in all the conduit and wire will be cheaper than a 802.11AC adapter, and give you more consistent results and bandwidth for things like video streaming.

When laying cable always put in one additional cable if possible, so you can add a second device without needing new wires.

You need a second set of conduits to carry the wire - can't mix it with electrical conduits. A 1" conduit can carry two or three CAT6 cables. If you have a nice way of hiding it, you can directly terminate the ends to cable plugs. If you need wallplates, electrical shops have some, little pricey at Rs. 300 or so each.

Cat6 will give you all the bandwidth you need and where possible is infinitely preferable to any sort of wireless connection. The cost of cutting the wall and putting in all the conduit and wire will be cheaper than a 802.11AC adapter, and give you more consistent results and bandwidth for things like video streaming.

When laying cable always put in one additional cable if possible, so you can add a second device without needing new wires.

Thanks cranky.. I have asked the electrician to layout separate conduit to each room from the living room where I will be keeping the router. He said that the siemens modular switch range has a data socket and he will use that and connect out the cables. I will keep an eye out and update how it goes...

One more query.. Is a CAT6 wall socket backward compatible with a cat5e plug? I dont think my router has gigabit ethernet support but if it is backward compatible, I can put a cat6 cable now and upgrade the router at a later stage.

One of the above two facts are wrong. 1/4" ID = 6 millimeters, a single CAT5 cable with jacket is 5mm.
:) well spotted.... they say "paun inch" which should be 3/4th of a inch .... thats the standard pipe size used in conceal electrical fittings at home.
:)

Back