PC Peripherals Exorbitant visiting charges for APC UPS service

Ramadhir Singh

Wasseypur
Adept
Have APC BR800, bought in year 2008, went dead in past and was replaced by refurbed APC ( 2002 model). currently out of warranty.

few days back the ups is dead again, showing overload even without anything plugged into that.
Called APC service centre, Bangalore, they are asking Rs.830/- only for visit :mad: , any repair/part change will be charged extra.
internet search show chances are high that it wont be repaired , motherboard dead.

830/- just for visiting is way too much. what are the suggestion?

Electronic items nowadays are not meant to be repaired. Why are you using such a old model from 2002 bought in 2008 in 2015?

All electronic items have a life. Yours have had a good life till now. I would recommend to sell that in scrap and buy a new one. There is a good chance that even if it gets repaired it won't last long as other components would be going down as well.

My BR1000-IN was replaced more than 11 + times (cant remember the exact number)...it just could not handle the voltage fluctuations in my area...the SC centre guys finally told me to go for some desi UPS as this high tech is not working...I lost Rs 7000 down the drain...then after asking here i purchased microtek 800 double battery model....it had extended voltge range and it did not even bat an eye lid and worked flawlessly for years and years...i was dumb founded that a desi ups that costs like one third worked good were the APC failed...i now have luminous inverter that i am using in normal mode as UPS....works flawlessly with my corsair smps.

Last edited:
APC UPS boards are not repairable locally. So they will either tell you to buy a new board/ send it to their Blr office for lengthy repairs. Not worth it. Buy a new unit - Non-APC

Major update for all UPS buyers there:

I visited APC, Pune for my APC BACK-UPS RS BR1500.
They said the pcb/mobo needs to be replaced and it'll cost around 5-6k.
And as you all guys know, service centers hardly repairs products, they just replace/change them. Never do soldering and in-depth troubleshooting.

To add, even after spending such a hefty amount they provide not a single hours warranty...pathetic isnt it??:mad:
Also this cannot be done here but only at Bangalore at their main office.:facepalm: The transport charges etc. have to be borne by me!!

They then insisted me to go for so and so model but I asked them for a quote before I decide as I literally lost trust into APC now. They did sent me quotes but not interested atm.
I asked them for buy-back solution and they said they will minus just 600 bucks off my old UPS that too with those newly installed batteries. WTF???:wtf:
I said no ways. I better sell-off those new batteries loosely. And the UPS to a bhangarwallah.:grumpy:

Then,
Somehow I got a professional UPS repair person from some contacts. He repairs and services all kinds of Home and Online corporate/enterprise UPS+inverters+stabilizers+generators etc.. And he himself worked with Su-Kam for 20+ years.
Gave him my APC UPS for investigation.
The MOSFET and RELAY conked off.
Replacement costs runs between 2k-2.2k and thereafter too. no guarantee for how loooong will it work reliably.:banghead:

He clearly stated:
"These international brand level UPS cannot handle our desi voltage frequent fluctuations hence they breakdown in no time. Their capacity to handle is just between 230v-260v max that too not frequently"

"And these UPS never survive in rural areas where the fluctuations as high as between 180volts-270volts"

"Better go for DESI one which can easily alter/handle between 180volts to almost 300volts that too without possible breakdowns unless you are straining it with complete load/overload"

Only APC line UPS which are used in companies/mncs have good reviews and all the costs is covered under AMC so nothing to worry about there as they are maintained every month as per schedule.

Also to add,
I have researched a lot during these days and found APCs BR series is a major failure. Google and you'll find all BAD REMARKS from professional people as well who have suffered huge losses owing to these very model series.:stinkyfeet:

Ultimately, we are advised to go/stick with desi UPS flavors which are not that popular but are really made keeping in mind our local electric environment.:)
They may not offer that good gizmo gadget looks or those cool features but then they do offer what a UPS is suppose to offer.....UPS self-protection, better voltage management, good battery backup, peripheral protection, very low maintenance costs and lastly...piece of mind.:cool:

Have APC BR800, bought in year 2008, went dead in past and was replaced by refurbed APC ( 2002 model). currently out of warranty.

few days back the ups is dead again, showing overload even without anything plugged into that.
Called APC service centre, Bangalore, they are asking Rs.830/- only for visit :mad: , any repair/part change will be charged extra.
internet search show chances are high that it wont be repaired , motherboard dead.

830/- just for visiting is way too much. what are the suggestion?

that is just criminal. When i shifted houses nobody agreed to transport my UPS with the battery so i had to ship it and buy a new one at the new house. I called APC, they put me in touch with a local Distributor who charge 200 for delivery and installation which isn't bad at all. but damn 800 is wayyyyyy tooo much.

did you complain to customer service or demand an explanation as to why its so expensive?

I had an APC UPS back in 2002 and it went faulty in a week. Got a replacement and that too went dead in a few months. Replaced it again and again for over five times and then I threw it into a MC dustbin. Bought a Microtek Double battery UPS in 2004 and it's still working fine. Have only replaced a relay last year other than batteries. Its still going strong even after 11 years!

I had an APC UPS back in 2002 and it went faulty in a week. Got a replacement and that too went dead in a few months. Replaced it again and again for over five times and then I threw it into a MC dustbin. Bought a Microtek Double battery UPS in 2004 and it's still working fine. Have only replaced a relay last year other than batteries. Its still going strong even after 11 years!
For how much did you spend on the Relay part?
If its cheap I will take a second thought on replacing my ups relay.
Also mention your Microtek ups model.

For how much did you spend on the Relay part?
If its cheap I will take a second thought on replacing my ups relay.
Also mention your Microtek ups model.
I don't remember the exact amount I paid for relay but it was less than Rs 300 including labor.
The UPS might be outdated for current rigs but does give me 15 minutes backup on my gaming rig.
I am unable to find any specific model though. But here is the image.
IMG_20151030_230950.jpg

Seems good. I was told 1.8k-2.2k for replacing MOSFETs and Relay.
Dont know if 1500va and esp. Apc has heavy duty components etc.
Hence dropped the idea of getting it repaired as even after repairs it keeps repeating same issues.

I paid approx 1750/- all inclusive to get the MOSFET replaced.
Service quality is pathetic, I was promised it will take 3 working days but in reality I get ups delivered in 6weeks, after reaching out peoples and many round of email.

APC became piece of shit after taken over by Schneider Electric. This is my last ever product by them.[DOUBLEPOST=1446488842][/DOUBLEPOST]Point to mention, they have discounted the interim visiting charge of 830/- , in final bill. My final bill was 1750/- to pay by cheque in name of Schneider Electric, and they refunded the visiting charge while final delivery of ups.

Last edited:
I paid approx 1750/- all inclusive to get the MOSFET replaced.
Service quality is pathetic, I was promised it will take 3 working days but in reality I get ups delivered in 6weeks, after reaching out peoples and many round of email.

APC became piece of shit after taken over by Schneider Electric. This is my last ever product by them.[DOUBLEPOST=1446488842][/DOUBLEPOST]Point to mention, they have discounted the interim visiting charge of 830/- , in final bill. My final bill was 1750/- to pay by cheque in name of Schneider Electric, and they refunded the visiting charge while final delivery of ups.
Hi netant
I just opened the my APC Pro 1000 I found 3 MOSFET's are burn. I asked them apc they said 400 Rs for visiting charges + taxes and did the just replaced MOSFET or did they do anything apart from this? I am waiting for your reply thanks. If they just replaced MOSFET's i can do it. I just want to know how your upc went to though.

Back