Windows Ext4 to NTFS without data loss

That's what I tried in the first place. 3 different disks. None of them booted into Linux :(

Even tried Wondershare Live Boot without success.

did you press F12 or what the button is to get into device boot menu in bios? Does your bios support booting from usb?
You will have to disable fast boot in windows power settings too. MS has made Windows such that it does everything to disable other OS from booting up.

I tried 16.04 and 14.04 at a point when there was no Windows 10 in PC.

I did try F12, then chose DVD drive. It gives blank screen for a while and then shows some text like media~ no cable found etc. I ran diagnostics from BIOS and all was good. I have tried Live CD on the same machine before, which used to work well. I tried 6 different DVDs without success this time. :(

So you copied the iso to a blank dvd and put the dvd in to a dvd drive and then it gave error? 6 different dvds = writer must have gone bad or discs are bad.

Maybe try with a usb pen drive.
you can use YUMI in windows to write a linux iso to a pendrive or sdcard and boot from it.

Or if you have an android phone, with enough free space in it you can copy the iso to the phone storage and use an DriveDroid to make it show up as a bootable cd.

https://lifehacker.com/5990655/how-to-boot-into-linux-from-your-android-phone

I am not sure Live boot is an option in my case. I am still looking into it.

I used Disk Internals' Linux Reader. I can see the contents of the ext3 drive. But not able to copy from it. My best chance is to mount it as a drive in Windows 10 and then copy from it. I successfully mounted another partition (ext4) using Ext2Fsd and recovered data. But the ext3 partition I have is not working through it.[DOUBLEPOST=1513001269][/DOUBLEPOST]
? 6 different dvds = writer must have gone bad or discs are bad.

I didn't burn them now. Those are from my software collection burned during different occasions.[DOUBLEPOST=1513073912][/DOUBLEPOST]Recovered files using DiskInternals' Linux Reader. It's a freeware. All good now :)

Last edited:
Back