Windows Extra dreamspark win8/7 keys, can they be upgraded to Win 10

maybe now its too late and the activation period has ended officially it was supposed to end july 31st

hhmm could be.

Would you know what this means "error 0xc004e016 on a computer running microsoft windows non-core edition"?

Also, any other way (read as cheap) of getting a genuine Win 10 key?

Got it activated. Yayy!!

Downloaded the latest Windows 10 x64 ISO build 1607 (the one which comes with all editions like Pro, Home and N) via Microsoft's Media Creation Tool. The Windows 8.1 key didn't work (error code 0x80041023) after which I tried the Windows 8 key and bam, it activated.

So yes, Windows 10 activation using older Windows 8/8.1/7 keys is still 'on' and can be done.

Many thanks @ReVo_007 and @Arjun for your help!

Last edited:
Got it activated. Yayy!!

Downloaded the latest Windows 10 x 64 ISO build 1607 (the one which comes with all editions like Pro, Home and N) via Microsoft's Media Creation Tool. The Windows 8.1 key didn't work (error code 0x80041023) after which I tried the Windows 8 key and bam, it activated.

So yes, Windows 10 activation using older Windows 8/8.1/7 keys is still 'on' and can be done.

Many thanks @ReVo_007 and @Arjun for your help!
Did English work, I knew activation would work but the language was a doubt.

It did. Language chosen during installation was 'English (India)'!

I learned only now (that is after posting the initial doubts a couple of days back) that Windows keys are not language specific.

It did. Language chosen during installation was 'English (India)'!

I learned only now (that is after posting the initial doubts a couple of days back) that Windows keys are not language specific.
Yeah I had the same idea but I saw C4etech video which said that Chinese licensed copy of Windows did not run English and that confused me . Anyway thanks for the update , hope this will help others in future :) .

Back