Storage Solutions Extracting data from an SSD

MarkofTeja

Disciple
So the Logic board of my 2011 Macbook pro died and I am wondering if there is any way for me to extract some data from the SSD that is inside it.

I can remove the SSD from the enclosure and take it out, but not sure if there is a way to extract the data
Any help would be very appreciated.

Thanks
Teja (kyuki mark idhar hai)

Can you post the SS of the SSD?

if M.2 - I have a connector which will work. Ditto for msata and normal sata.

If proprietary, then I am bang out of luck

Can you post the SS of the SSD?

if M.2 - I have a connector which will work. Ditto for msata and normal sata.

If proprietary, then I am bang out of luck

It's the regular steel colored SSD. I think it was a samsung. You had to order it as an upgrade while buying the Mac.
The machine is not working so I can't post more info on the SSD.

I am wondering if I can use a casing or a connector or something to backup some of the files onto another mac or linux.

It's the regular steel colored SSD. I think it was a samsung. You had to order it as an upgrade while buying the Mac.
The machine is not working so I can't post more info on the SSD.

I am wondering if I can use a casing or a connector or something to backup some of the files onto another mac or linux.

Just get a USB to SATA connector for laptop disks, and use a software which allows viewing of HFS format. If encrypted, you need to use another mac to decrypt the file system, else you can try some ahem utilities for the same.

I don't think I used the filevault encryption. I am gonna try this USB to SATA thing. I have a Mac and Linux system at my disposal so hopefully I should be able to access the files. Thanks man.[DOUBLEPOST=1502714219][/DOUBLEPOST]Are all USB to SATA cables the same ?

Last edited:
I don't think I used the filevault encryption. I am gonna try this USB to SATA thing. I have a Mac and Linux system at my disposal so hopefully I should be able to access the files. Thanks man.[DOUBLEPOST=1502714219][/DOUBLEPOST]Are all USB to SATA cables the same ?

For laptop disks, yes. Not for desktop ones though.

If you are from Mumbai, you can borrow mine.

Thanks vivek, you are too kind. :) Incidentally, a friend of mine who knows about these things offered me his this evening and I took him up on the offer.

Back