Feedback on coding interview books by Gayle McDowell

I have read these books and i don't find it useful, because:

1. You cannot basically prepare for coding interviews - topics are vast and it's not a semester exam where you have a set of syllabus and you would be questioned within those. Unfortunately these books portray this concept.
You would be better off if you concentrates on core concepts and their applications. It's all about mapping the interview questions to the right set of Data Structures and Algos.

2. Answering all interview questions won't guarantee you the job nor will failing to answer few/all.

3. Besides there are tonnes of material online which are freely available. You can pick those rather than buying the above books.

Thank you very much for replying :)

I totally agree with you & even I know Question-Answer approach won't help understanding core concepts. But wouldn't it be helpful if one knows what kind of questions are asked in interview ?

3. Besides there are tonnes of material online which are freely available. You can pick those rather than buying the above books.
It would be great if you can suggest some links.

While I agree with Abhay's post in principle, I did use Cracking the Coding Interview, if for nothing else, but to practice. Pretty useful for that imho.

The first two books are very useful. Just read the reviews on Flipkart and especially Amazon.

I wouldn't trust Narasimha Karumanchi's books. He just copies material from his other books (they're all about the same) and calls it a new book. If you look closely on Amazon and Flipkart, you'll also notice that almost all of the reviews on his book are fake. Don't trust him.

Back