Feeling helpless with AC Repair

mandarpune

Recruit
I have Sharp AH XP13NRV 1.1T Invertor AC. Recently there was a voltage spike and AC stopped working. Sharp service person first tells me outdoor unit PCB is faulty. They take it to repair and then after few days, they try to install repaired PCB which still doesnt work. I dont understand point of service guys who cant test a component they repair at their location.

So they now tell me it has to be replaced. Problem is they are charging Rs11000 for this PCB which I am shocked to hear. How can a part of a device be so costly that its almost 1/3 of total price of AC. And whats outrageous is for this new PCB, there can be no warranty, I doubt they will give me any valid bill as well for a Rs. 10000 purchase.
I have that feeling like they are somehow not charging me properly. Though I am feeling helpless because where can I confirm real cost of such PCB. Sharp service center people will never tell me price. Is there any other method/location in Pune where I can verify this.

if they are replacing any component usually they give few months warranty, i think you should contact the CEO of sharp , he has given his phone no on thee manual , i once had an issue with sharp service , so i messaged the CEO , it was resolved promptly .

@mandarpune
Yes that is the cost of outdoor PCB. 1-2 years ago, I faced similar issue, except that it was for XP18MV, and the PCB costed 18k. Fortunately, I was just few days over my 1st year warranty - and blessing in disguise that my AC faced major issues during 1st year itself. So a mail with all facts to CEO made them waive off.

Sharp's parts are very costly. I too was shocked hearing 18k as the AC was 40k at time of purchase .. so virtually 50% of a new AC cost. I even thought of dumping the AC and buy a different brand. Fortunately, sharp acknowledge the issues I faced and waived me PCB cost.

During that time, I learnt that initial lot of Sharp ACs had their PCBs not fully calibrated to handle Indian voltage fluctuations. However recent ACs should not have this problem. The replacement PCB is working fine so far in my case. It was also learnt that the issue was just a thermal fuse on PCB which was blown. However there was no provision to repair the PCB hence a replacement has to be imported.
If your case too is a blown fuse issue, I wonder why couldn't they repair it.

The questions I would ask them - What was the issue on PCB? What repairs they carried out? Did they check the PCB before bringing it to your place? If yes, then why the AC did not work? Did the PCB got more damaged during repairs?

I am not sure about this -> However, in case the rest of PCB is ok and its just a thermal fuse issue, maybe you can check with some electronic engineer ( reputed appliance repair shops) and ask their opinion. Usually these people have tools like oscilloscopes etc and maybe, they are able to check it.

Usually all hi-end power boards comes with MOV installed at very first level of incoming power . (Metal oxide varistor) it's like a fuse which blows itself i case of over voltage/ spike.

When u say outdoor PCB that mean u have a inverter AC ?

Hi All Thanks for the responses. Helps a lot to declutter my mind.
@attrish: yes its inverter AC
@mk76: Lucky you got your price waived off. After reading your post, atleast couple of things are clear. if Sharp spare parts are really high cost, service center people are not going to benefit by charging me excess. If they could have repaired it, they could have told me 10 stories and might have taken huge sum from me for the old PCB repair itself. Now that they themself recommend to replace the board. Problem is they are going to give me a service center handwritten bill with no warranty. Atleast they shoudl have shown me see this is printed price on PCB. And we are not lying to you kind of something.
Will writing to CEO help. I mean, voltage fluctuation is really not my fault. And they shall design their devices taking such things in consideration in India. I agree I should have installed voltage regulator in home (which was first thing I did after this incident). And now its almost 2 months my AC isnt working. Summer is almost over now. whats the point paying so much now when I am not going to use AC again till next summer mostly.

@mandarpune, Get the phone number or email of higher officials of sharp. I got 7 day warranty on IDU motor replacement after I sent e-mails and talked personally on phone. They don't provide even a day warranty otherwise.

Hello All, couldnt find CEO contact details anywhere. found one phone number on net which not sure if works. Would have preferred emailid.
Anyways, got AC fixed finally. pocket lighter by 11000 now. fortunately now though AC works, these guys ensured there is new problem introduced. Now there is some water leakage from inside unit. any clues what might be issue. i would like to avoid another visit of these guys to fix one thing and damage something else.

Hello All, couldnt find CEO contact details anywhere. found one phone number on net which not sure if works. Would have preferred emailid.
Anyways, got AC fixed finally. pocket lighter by 11000 now. fortunately now though AC works, these guys ensured there is new problem introduced. Now there is some water leakage from inside unit. any clues what might be issue. i would like to avoid another visit of these guys to fix one thing and damage something else.
Faced similar issue with my diakin last year the pcb was damaged dues to some shot circuit, Daikin people asked for 8k got it fixed for 100 Rupess locally. [emoji2]

I faced same issue. Check if the insulation foam on the copper pipes is torn. If there is rain or condensation, then the water could drip into the IDU

These are the e-mails I got from my e-mail conversation few months back regarding the warranty for replaced part.

to: sambandangunaseelan@sharp-oa.com,
RAMESHWAR <rameshwarmandal@sharp-oa.com>,

cc: Amandeep Singh Dhamoon <adsingh@sharp-oa.com>,
Naveen Kumar <naveenkumar@sharp-oa.com>

Back