Few letter keys on laptop keyboard stopped working

raksrules

Elite
Out the blue, on my Sony Vaio Laptop, some of the letter keys have stopped working. To test what work and what not, I typed each letter from each row and I was able to print the below...

QWERTYUIOP
DFGHJL
ZXVNM

So the letters that didn't type are...

<all letter keys print from first row>
ASK
CB

Is this related to me mistakenly pressing some sort of key which disabled few of the letter or it is a physical issue with the keyboard?

I rebooted the laptop in safe mode but still those keys won't work.
Any other way to check? Or I am SOL?

I had the same problem and used compressed air to get it work again. If that doesn't solve there might still be some debris inside the key retainer and if you are up to it you can use a flat head screwdriver and gently pry open the problematic keys and check if there are dust or debris which prevents it from working. You can also use rubbing alcohol to clean it.

I had the same problem and used compressed air to get it work again. If that doesn't solve there might still be some debris inside the key retainer and if you are up to it you can use a flat head screwdriver and gently pry open the problematic keys and check if there are dust or debris which prevents it from working. You can also use rubbing alcohol to clean it.

Agreed, I did the same when the keys were feeling mushy and some of them wouldnt register a key press. Gently lift it with a flat head screw driver or a blunt blade/knife. Its easy to snap the small white things that hold chiclet keys so be careful.

Back