Audio FiiO E6 or XONAR DG ?

mithun

Adept
Well, I've been pondering over getting a headphone Amp(E6) and suddenly thought why not get a Xonar DG instead. Need to power my HD202 and EP630s, so it definitely doesn't call for mid/high-end stuff. Just a basic headfone amp would suffice.

pros for E6 : Portable, can be used with multiple devices.

pros for DG : Might make the games/movies sound tad better on HT setup

I'm no audiophile, so i have no idea which would provide better SQ. So i request our in-house audio-gurus to get me out of this dilemma.

Thanks.

Between the two, from a SQ perspective, the DG would be a better choice because it's DAC would be an improvement over typical onboard DAC, and it would provide a decent HP amp as well. The E6 is only an amp, so its potential to provide improved SQ is limited.

Exactly, Better to spend that money on better iem or headphone. You will appreciate the improvement in SQ much more with a better iem/hphone.

Just make it a +500 for IEM / Headphone over other parts in the chain.

As for your question, think about the usage. If you will use EP-630 80% of the time when moving around, makes sense to get a E6. But, apart from improving loudness, it won't improve the SQ that much, so why go for it at all?

In your case, going for Xonar makes the most sense as it will give you improvement in SQ over on-board for music + probably improve things with HT.

Thanks for the valuable inputs

The difference it will make to your gear will be too low.
Spend on getting better iem's or headphones instead.

However, from a layman's point of view, i always felt, that plugging in the EP630/HD202 to the Clip always produces better SQ as compared to when these are plugged into the desktop/netbook/phone. Thus, i was inclined go get the AMP/DAC. Will the improvement not even justify the 1.5k price tag of either?

My personal suggestion: Sell off your HD202 and EP630 and get the money by selling it and add this money to your Rs. 1500 and get a good earphones for Rs. 2.5k or 3k. You will say thanks to me :D

The card will definitely give you better SQ over the onboard but the change will not be noticed in your gear since it's entry level.
Keep your EP630's aside, buy a pair of M2's or any decent iem, return to the EP630's after 3 months, you will start recognizing the difference.

Back