File Handling Util query

Sparky21

Recruit
Hoping someone I here can help.

I am looking for a file explorer that can copy and paste including the sub directories in one action.

What I would like to be able to do:
Select a directory. Read all files under that directory including all sub directories.
Sort the resulting files by date order.
Select and copy those files I want to to copy.
Paste those files into a new place, but have the corresponding sub directories re created as part of the paste function.

Ultraexplorer used to do this, but it has been years since I needed to do this and am now unable to locate the copy and paste sub directories function anywhere inside it. The Flattening function works a treat, but I can't find any function now that allows the "paste" to include the creation of sub directories.

Very much appreciate any replies

Why 3rd party? The default windows explorer works wonders. You can sort it anything wise if you know how to do that and of course it copies all data incl sub-dirs as well.

Ok Clearly I don't know how to do it then.

How do I "flatten" the sub directories so I can see all the files included in all the sub directories and sort them by date?

Thank you for the heads up thus far. Could I bother you to give me some instructions please on how to do this in the existing explorer? (Windows 10, btw)

I don't want to necessarily copy all the files in each sub directory. But I do want to be able to see them all in all directories and then sort by date.

Ok Clearly I don't know how to do it then.

How do I "flatten" the sub directories so I can see all the files included in all the sub directories and sort them by date?

Thank you for the heads up thus far. Could I bother you to give me some instructions please on how to do this in the existing explorer? (Windows 10, btw)

I don't want to necessarily copy all the files in each sub directory. But I do want to be able to see them all in all directories and then sort by date.

For this kind of requirement I would usually write a shell script to run on the Windows Linux Subsystem where I have Ubuntu installed.

But to see the files you can try "Search Everything" which is a damn nifty tool for Windows Search.

Right click on a blank space in the root folder, select Search Everything and enter *.* in the search window. Then you can sort by Modified Date column.

1582456303412.png

For this kind of requirement I would usually write a shell script to run on the Windows Linux Subsystem where I have Ubuntu installed.

But to see the files you can try "Search Everything" which is a damn nifty tool for Windows Search.

Right click on a blank space in the root folder, select Search Everything and enter *.* in the search window. Then you can sort by Modified Date column.

View attachment 84665
Yes but when I paste the selected files they are not being "Pasted" including the path / sub directories they were in?

The *.* function works great, but the paste function fails the recreation of the sub directories part that I need. I did try the "copy Path" menu option in Windows also, but it doesn't appear to let me then paste anything at all? Not sure what that function is about really.

Thanks so much for your replies. Grateful for your help, really hope I can get this resolved. Would love it to work without a third party app.

Would the directory opus copy queue help? I effing love Dopus.

I'll give it a try mid this week. Now out for a couple of days. But thanks for the heads up on the app.

Last edited:
Back