Android File Manager

It seems like days of ES File Explorer are over. I had been using ES File Explorer for years now, until I removed it just 2-3 days ago. I had started to feel since quite sometime that it was becoming a bloatware, and then a few days ago, I came across a link where the app was being bashed a lot for its ads and other bad tricks. Here are some of these articles:

http://www.androidauthority.com/uninstall-es-file-explorer-691930/
https://www.androidpit.com/this-is-why-you-should-not-use-es-file-explorer
https://www.xda-developers.com/es-file-explorer-a-short-story-of-a-fallen-king/

To be fair, I didn't see any such ads on my phone, or any of the charging screens mentioned in the articles. However yes, I was feeling ES to be becoming a bloatware, and so I decided to search for alternatives in the comments in these articles, and by searching Google.

The one app that is being mentioned a lot, and is getting quite popular is Solid Explorer, but it isn't free, and is just available as a trial for a few days. Since I only use free apps, I didn't go for it.

Other mentions that I came across were X-plore File Manager, Total Commander, Amaze File Manager, FX Explorer, MiXplorer, Astro File Manager, etc.

I tried X-plore and Total Commander, but there weren't to my liking, since their operations are different. People do seem to love these though.

Amaze File Manager looked good and is totally free, but it is quite basic in terms that it lacks a text editor, image viewer, etc, which I require in a file manager, and so, I didn't go for it.

MiXplorer is only available from XDA Forum, so I decided to pass for it.

FX Explorer is great though, and its interface is elegant and simple, and it has inbuilt text editor, image viewer, media player which is what I required. Just the kind of file manager I wanted. Although it could improve in certain aspects, but still, I really like it, and am keeping it.

So, after years of usage, it's bye bye to ES File Explorer. So long.

So, which are the file managers that you guys use? If you are using ES File Explorer, are you looking to change, or will continue with it?

I was okay with ES File Explorer actually, in the sense that I didn't come across ads or the bad tricks of charging screen, but still I felt it was time for a change, or atleast have a look at other alternatives, and I did find a good alternative, and so I changed.

Tried almost all the files explorers and came back to ES. This is the most feature rich and simple one I found. Others want you to pay for chrome cast plugin or some other plugin. Some others have bad UI. I'm using a very old version of ES and don't plan on updating it.

I agree that ES is quite good. Even today, if I had to, I wouldn't mind using it. It has got some good features. Still, it has become a bloatware putting in extras that aren't really required. In that sense, I really like FX now with its clutter free interface, which is really a pleasant change from all that clutter in ES, specially its home page.

I won't use an old version of any app, because I always like to use an updated app or a software, to make use of new features, and also bugs and security aspects are taken care of in new versions.

Yes, I had seen mentions of File Manager HD from Cheetah Mobile too. I tried it yesterday, but I am afraid to say it's even worse than ES File Explorer. File Manager HD too has a homepage like ES, which I really didn't like in ES too, and it's even worse in File Manager. The interface of File Manager too is worse than ES and the features too. It looks like it has the same amount of features though as ES. Given a choice, I would go for ES over File Manager HD.

ES pro for me and I can bet no other can beat it. As for ES free ver. I still got its Kk edition which is ad free. Agree that its newer free ver sucks. Hence I use pro.

Back