Final Year Project

The time has finally come when one needs to build a project for this final year.:(

Project Idea

I am thinking of developing a application which will help small businesses to build their own website for low costs.The application would contain several themes and the user just needs to input the information accordingly.And the whole website gets build in the background without the user to code anything.Then the website gets uploaded to the servers.

Queries

Is the project good enough for 200 marks?

Is it possible to build with not so good programming skills?

Which programming languages should i need to use?

Should it be web based or a local application?

- I dont think its worth more than 75 marks.
- You can easily do it with avg. programming skill set.
- Use PHP for coding frontend , for DB use MySql
- Make it a web application, if you are building a local application ( client app) , you are actually competing with Frontpage, dreamweaver,etc :)

I would suggest that you choose a better project for final year, which shows your Analytical skills instead of showing your design skills.
The point of Final year project is to show what you have learned in 4 years

^ If I get it right he isn't designing a website per se, but a toolkit / utility which would allow someone without any web designing skills to design one. That isn't a straight forward thing.

ultra vires said:
- I dont think its worth more than 75 marks.

- You can easily do it with avg. programming skill set.

- Use PHP for coding frontend , for DB use MySql

- Make it a web application, if you are building a local application ( client app) , you are actually competing with Frontpage, dreamweaver,etc :)

I would suggest that you choose a better project for final year, which shows your Analytical skills instead of showing your design skills.

The point of Final year project is to show what you have learned in 4 years

which project would you suggest.
agantuk said:
^ If I get it right he isn't designing a website per se, but a toolkit / utility which would allow someone without any web designing skills to design one. That isn't a straight forward thing.

yes you got it right.

@Agantuk, if he is designing a full fledged Dreamweaver then that project is probably worth 1 whole year, if he is making a CMS kinda thing on lines of wordpress then it isn't worth the final year project.

I would suggest.
* Building a neural network to segregate malicious attacks on network.
* A web crawler.
* New Cryptographic Algorithm.
* Go old skool and build some nice HCI ( minority report style glove, not with all bells and whistle of course but some basic functionality of drawing objects).
* Human/animal/Car tracking tool, that can track objects in a video.

There are hundreds of options for you. But choose the one which you can finish on time.

PS: My point is to encourage you not to disappoint you or something. The feeling of accomplishing a great final year kickass project is awesome :)

You can try to create a local network crawler service, which could crawl thru the shared folders in the network, logging file details (in a database / xml) and provide a web UI to search for files in shared folders...and add few features like copying to local from search results.....

could also provide support to get notified if any new content (based on user criteria) is available on network....will be useful to get the latest mp3 files :)

As far as Development language you can use C# or VB .Net, with Asp .Net and SQL server.

You can consider following projects.

1)Railway Reservation/Bus Reservation

2)Library management.

3)Collage Database Inventory.(Consisting students past records like marks scored, achievements)

Considering little time span you can take any of above mentioned project.

If need any help i will there to help you out.

I forgot to mention the speed of developing.

If you want to create any website quickly visual studio is a best software to go with (ASP.net).

You can download video tutorial where they have developed entire project using visual studio 2005.

Please find the link.General ASP.NET Videos : The Official Microsoft ASP.NET Site

You can download entire Quiz Engine project video tutorial and source code (Please use it for understanding purpose ).

Advance Option:

phishing avoidance in Netbanking.

Social networking site for collage students and teachers with lot of mirch masala stuff put in.(Great Concept).

Last year winner project of my collage.

Managing all electric equipment of collage through a website.

You can show visual diagram of collage floors and list of electrical equipment running with a option to switch them off.(Fan ,Tube light e.t.c ).

You will need to build a basic circuit(Which is not a big deal if you ask any engineering student) .This circuit should be able to transmit a signal either wired or wireless(bit expensive) .It should be connected between power switch and electronic equipment.

If the equipment is on then it should send a signal to a pc using wired or wireless signal.

Same way if no signals are coming then it should be treated as off.

you can build a User interface using JSP/ASP but it should be able to read the input signal sent by the device.

"this need little modification to existing electrical setup."

To avoid the above scenario you can use sensors that senses light or heat .This will avoid any need of modifying existing electrical setup. If any queries please let me know.(Bit expensive suggestion )

Imagine saving lot of electricity bill .

You will be real hero in front of your principal

I will tell you the requirement if you want.

ultra vires said:
@Agantuk, if he is designing a full fledged Dreamweaver then that project is probably worth 1 whole year, if he is making a CMS kinda thing on lines of wordpress then it isn't worth the final year project.

I would suggest.

* A web crawler.

* Go old skool and build some nice HCI ( minority report style glove, not with all bells and whistle of course but some basic functionality of drawing objects).

There are hundreds of options for you. But choose the one which you can finish on time.

PS: My point is to encourage you not to disappoint you or something. The feeling of accomplishing a great final year kickass project is awesome :)

Nice suggestions:D

Create a computer algebra system, which has features like -

1. Understand algebraic expressions like 3x+6y+4z

2. Keeps all numeric calculations in pure forms without approximations, i.e. as rationals & surds eg. shows answers like (sqrt(5)+1)/2 instead of 1.618. Optionally it may have the ability to produce numbers upto any required precision (say user asks for 100 decimal digits) when requested.

3. Can solve upto cubics with single variable in closed form

4. Can differentiate any closed form expression

5. Using 4, it should be able to generate Taylor series expansion of any function

6. Can solve simultaneous equations

7. You can try to put in partial capabilities of integrating functions, and summing up series.

That will be worth 200 points.

ultra vires said:

I would suggest.

* A web crawler.

Can you give some more info on highlighted topics.
pinga123 said:
You can consider following projects.

1)Railway Reservation/Bus Reservation

2)Library management.

3)Collage Database Inventory.(Consisting students past records like marks scored, achievements)

Considering little time span you can take any of above mentioned project.

If need any help i will there to help you out.

I forgot to mention the speed of developing.

If you want to create any website quickly visual studio is a best software to go with (ASP.net).

You can download video tutorial where they have developed entire project using visual studio 2005.

Please find the link.General ASP.NET Videos : The Official Microsoft ASP.NET Site

You can download entire Quiz Engine project video tutorial and source code (Please use it for understanding purpose ).

Advance Option:

phishing avoidance in Netbanking.

Social networking site for collage students and teachers with lot of mirch masala stuff put in.(Great Concept).

Last year winner project of my collage.

Managing all electric equipment of collage through a website.

You can show visual diagram of collage floors and list of electrical equipment running with a option to switch them off.(Fan ,Tube light e.t.c ).

You will need to build a basic circuit(Which is not a big deal if you ask any engineering student) .This circuit should be able to transmit a signal either wired or wireless(bit expensive) .It should be connected between power switch and electronic equipment.

If the equipment is on then it should send a signal to a pc using wired or wireless signal.

Same way if no signals are coming then it should be treated as off.

you can build a User interface using JSP/ASP but it should be able to read the input signal sent by the device.

"this need little modification to existing electrical setup."

To avoid the above scenario you can use sensors that senses light or heat .This will avoid any need of modifying existing electrical setup. If any queries please let me know.(Bit expensive suggestion )

Imagine saving lot of electricity bill .

You will be real hero in front of your principal

I will tell you the requirement if you want.

Can you elaborate more on these topics.

Project is gonna be of 6 months and worth 400 marks.Group of two for this project.

You reminded of myself, 2 years back lol.

My BCA final year project was a personal startup website at WeLcOmE tO V!nAyAkS WeBs!tE , actually I was the only one who made a website (live and working), got 90% marks too. :)

The site is built in PHP/MySQL and demonstrates almost every single step from user registration, login, forgot password feature, resend email activation, member list, secure area, lots of flash stuff, live chat, admin panel and a lot more.. Its kinda noobish but hey, it works quite well!

And the most important part, I learned A LOT! This was my first ever attempt at building a website, registering domains/hosting and stuff like that. I did everything from scratch and started doing it around 6-8 months prior to the project demo date. So yeah, I had a lot of time to invest into it, and I did!

Back