Finally...

I Knew This Wud Happen Some Day...

Microsoft: No licence, no Windows updates

All Windows users will have to validate their copy of Windows as genuine before downloading any software or drivers from the Microsoft download site.

From the middle of the year Microsoft will roll out a mandatory Windows validation process. The process is being piloted currently for Czech, Chinese and Norwegian versions of Windows.

The decision to enforce validation will help Microsoft fight against counterfeit software and will also help IT departments and consumers to check that they have bought valid products.

Invalid software licences has been a problem for users in the past, particularly when they have tried to obtain discounts on Microsoft volume licensing and ended up buying counterfeits rather than legitimate licence.

This is what happened in 2002 to Clackmannanshire Council in Scotland. When the council needed to extend its MS Select desktop licences a supplier offered extra licences more cheaply than were available under the Select agreement. The deal turned sour when an audit, done in co-operation with Microsoft, revealed that the new licences were counterfeit.

Through the validation process, users will be required to enter authentication details on the Microsoft website. According to Microsoft, users will be alerted if an invalidate licence is found.

Unless authentication of the software is validated, the user will be unable to download software updates such as the latest releases of device driver software. For the time being, security patches will not be affected. Alex Hilton, anti-piracy manager at Microsoft, said, "If users do not succeed in validating the software, they will still have access to security patched."

Hilton said users found to have an invalid licence would be given the option of purchasing a legitimate one, at a fee that would be less than the cost of the boxed retail version, but more expensive than an OEM-licence. Users would need to provide Microsoft with details of the supplier of the software in order to obtain the discount, Hilton said.

To incentives the validation scheme Microsoft is offering users a six-month trial of Microsoft Office OneNote and a 30% reduction on the recently introduced Microsoft Outlook Live service.
Source:

Computer Weekly

http://www.computerweekly.com/articles/article.asp?liArticleID=136387&liArticleTypeID=1&liCategoryID=1&liChannelID=1&liFlavourID=1&sSearch=&nPage=1
More...

http://money.cnn.com/2005/01/26/technology/microsoft_piracy.reut/index.htm?cnn=yes

well, its not that u just can not download the updates, believe me, u can ;)
but yes, ppl who are not soo into the Internet might have problems :)
instead of all this stupid things, they shud reduce the prices of OS and all to more affordable levels, if it was 1-1.5k for a licenced OS, i wud have definetly bought it.. Ahh well, Linux anyone? :p

Piracy Is There ....

To Let Those Guys Know That Softwares Are Really Costly ....

How Long Will It Take To Get This Into Their Heads ....

Morons ....

I Learnt Gates's Dream Was To Put A Computer In Everyone's Home ...

I Guess He Meant Without The Os ....

I Learnt Gates's Dream Was To Put A Computer In Everyone's Home ...

I Guess He Meant Without The Os ....

well said m8...

in all this the fact is that these days in many of the developing countries and places which are gonna lead the tech revolution like china , india , russia you don't really give two hoots about software. Its the hardware that counts. And the developers have only themselves to blame. You gotta look the purchasing capacity of people when you price your product.

Back