Finding it difficult to learn Angular 2

Any angular 2 programmers here? I have been trying to learn angular 2 for around 1 month (few hrs everyday, but not regularly). But, finding it difficult to understand - mainly things like the components inside components, property bindings, how the components communicate with each other etc. I have PHP/MySQL experience.

I dunno if it follows this "MVC" pattern (model - view - controller) - maybe (if it does) you should also study about that design pattern - it might help to digest this stuff :)[DOUBLEPOST=1496836580][/DOUBLEPOST]Also, if you mention where you have been learning this from then maybe other folks can suggest other/better online/free resources to learn this.

I am a react guy. So cannot be of much help.

As far as I understand from others. No need to go through Angular 1 to Angular 2 if you are new. Unless you see yourself reworking existing frameworks as such. These are the people who wrote react btw. :). So I believe they are right.

But still, I would second the suggestion to understand MVC. Are you using ASP.NET Core and Angular?

How much comfortable are you with html, javascript and JQuery?
I've worked on Angular 1 and just recently trying my hand at Angular 2. They are quite different. Read some tutorials on how to start thinking in angular. For me at first it was difficult to let go of my Jquery thought process.
Pluralsight has some really great tutorials by Deborah Kurata and John Papa (you won't need to know angular 1). It's a paid service but my organisation has a subscription.
You can use the 10 day free trial and one of these courses should really help you get started.
P.S. The tutorials use typescript ans some OOP knowledge would come in handy.

Thanks vigilante, I just went through 30 minutes of Deborahs tutorials and it seems much more detailed and beginner friendly.
I have created apps on HTML, PHP & MySQL using Bootstrap framework, but not so much on Javascript and JQuery.
Angular seems have a lot of new things for me like Single Page applications and related concepts like components, modules, their metadata, selectors, bindings etc, which is why it was/is going bouncer
I just need to spend more time going through tutorials like these

Welcome. Just keep doing the hands-on simultaneously with the tutorials and you should be able to get hang of the concept. Just think of it as adding behaviour to html using script.
The in-built directives are quite powerful and help you accomplish a lot with minimal code.

While there are so many tutorials on programming in stuff like Angular etc, theres a real lack of resources (paid or free) that take you step by step and also make you practice by making practical small apps to implement concepts and give you an idea. Most of these are high level theory concept explanations only and making the jump from that to practical concepts is a huge jump for newbies. If someone knows any resources, do share..

While there are so many tutorials on programming in stuff like Angular etc, theres a real lack of resources (paid or free) that take you step by step and also make you practice by making practical small apps to implement concepts and give you an idea. Most of these are high level theory concept explanations only and making the jump from that to practical concepts is a huge jump for newbies. If someone knows any resources, do share..
Totally agree with you. When I was learning PHP, I was going through training videos from one of the famous sites, but honestly it was very boring to sit through them, (though it was very good and accurate material). I then found a video tutorial which focused on building a very simple registration and login system with bootstrap framework. That was the most practical video tutorial i ever saw (simple and easy to understand), and I could use that as a foundation, to build my app on top of it. I did not need any tutorials from there on, i was able to google whenever I got stuck and resolve it (stackoverflow to the rescue mostly)

Hi,

I have built angular 1 apps and recently picked up angular 2, Its a different beast, So i suggest you first start with learning TypeScript, after you are reasonably familar with TypeScript, google's codelabs are awesome, you can find the basics of angular codelab at https://codelabs.developers.google.com/codelabs/angular-codelab/#0 , i like the codelabs as the teach you by actually building stuff step by step.

Also my company has a course wherein we make students learn and experiment with various technologies, but that course is more suited towards students who are in or just recently passed engineering.

Last edited:
Back