Firefox Quantum

Did anyone got an update ? How many of your addons got blocked ? Found replacement ?

I must admit, the UI is refreshing and responsive. Much better than what I had before.

ff quantum.png

v56 used around 700 MB, which is now 400 MB in Quantum. Quantum is very resposnive as well. Gives a crisp feel when you use it when compared to v56. But, old adds are lot.

Now i look closely, CPU % used to be 2 which is 4 in Quantum. Might affect battery life. But, it is worth the upgrade with the crisp feel when you use it.

downthemall addon does not work. firefox stopped hanging for me now. previously it would hang for a few seconds whenever i opened a new tab or switched to new tab or saved something to disk. even the download save option would come after a few seconds.

I like the new version... although it's interface was stark different from previous versions, and had to get used to it.

It's a bit faster too than the previous versions.

I didn't like the toolbar, had a lot of empty space, and didn't like the placement of buttons too. But, I found that you can remove the empty space, called as flexible space now, by removing it. I also changed placement of icons, like Home, and Back button. I removed the Sidebars icon, and instead put in the Bookmarks there. Now, it's to my liking.

I used very less add-ons... FEBE, Xmarks, Flashgot, ublock origin. Of these, FEBE won't be developed, and I will really miss it.... it was a great add-on, very useful.

They did develop webextension for Xmarks, but it isn't working. It messed up my bookmarks, and of many others too. Also, when I went to the add-on page on Firefox site, it says it isn't compatible with Quantum. I think they are working on fixing it.

There was news that Flashgot would develop webextension, but they haven't updated yet. But, it's not a problem for me, since I used Free Download Manager, and their own extension to catch downloads from Firefox works well.

ublock origin is a webextension now, and is working great.

I am happy with Firefox, and will continue to use it.

Still on ESR for Java support.

My experience with FF is not so great. And I have no issues with the drawbacks of Chrome - I continue to use it daily.

Back