Storage Solutions Firmware Update Help for Seagate 320GB

Just realised that firmware ver AAK of 320GB Seagate HDD was slower and noisy as compared to version AAE. I have managed to get hold of AAE firmware but not able to create a bootable CD out of it.. to flash my HDD :(

Have spent like 2 days, downloading every possible file to make cd bootable and copy the firmware on the same disk... but failed every time !

Can someone please guide me...

Attachments

• AAE.zip
    392.5 KB · Views: 123
madmaniac said:
I didnt even know one could upgrade firmware for hdd's. Is there any advantage in doing so :S ?

updates for firmware are only avialable if there is some problem with the existing firmware as in the case of 7200.11 series from seagete...

^^ Me too having Seagate 500 GB 7200.11 HDD..should i upgrade firmware or not??

Also does upgrading firmware delete previous data??

sumchamp said:
^^ Me too having Seagate 500 GB 7200.11 HDD..should i upgrade firmware or not??

Also does upgrading firmware delete previous data??

yup u will lose all data wid firmware data..

me too havin 7200.11 500GB drive wid sd15 firmware... workin fine...

dont fix it if it aint broken :)

taher said:
download the file from the site....download poweriso and burn the iso image to the disc boot the system and update the firmware...

Dude... are you sure the CD would boot? we have done nothing to make it bootable yet :)

FYI - I tried to make a bootable cd thru nero and copy the firmware files. I am able to boot but not abble to use my keyboard (got a wireless one, but that should be an issue).

OK. for the record NO, you are NOT supposed to lose data on your seagate drives if the firmware update works like it is supposed to.

NOTE: SEAGATE RECOMMENDS BACKING UP YOUR DATA FIRST (Just in case)

I have 2, 320GB Barracudas. One has the AAE firmware, one had the AAK firmware. The update for the (supposedly) faulty AAK firmware is the newer AAM firmware, which I believe is technically considered BETA. In my searches I did not find a way to flash both drives to have the same firmware...not that the AAE needs an update. I'm just OCD like that sometimes.

I downloaded the AAM firmware, booted using a bootable CD and flashed the firmware without losing any data.

Note the restrictions for using the firmware (usually listed on the sites where it is available). It is only to be run on the AAK drives that have a P/N ending in a certain sequence of digits. 308 is one of those that *CAN* be flashed successfully.

I couldn't find the site where I found the firmware originally, but the file on my computer was called ST3320620AS3.AAM.zip ...You can google search for that and find it pretty quick at a number of websites.

EDIT: I found the link.

Here's the discussion

http://www.fluffles.net/forum/storage/34.3#919

Here's the file!!!

http://www.mediafire.com/?30ddatf19xs

Back