First antivirus for mobile operators : Ericsson

dipdude

Skilled
Source : Inquirer

Based on Trend's security offering

IT'S OBVIOUS really, but Ericsson claims to be the first to have done it. That's introduce a product that offers centralised control over antivirus and SMS spam protection.

It'll mean that mobile operators can stomp on problems before they're even sent out to phones. This version of the product works with smartphones running either Symbian and or the Beast's Windows Mobile OS.

Known as Ericsson Mobile Device Antivirus it will be available as a separate product, as part of a packaged mobile data solution, or as a hosted solution.

Katarina Löweberg, director for mobile applications with Ericsson Enterprise, claimed, "For the first time, mobile operators now have a way to offer their enterprise customers centrally-managed protection for smartphones against malicious mobile code such as SMS spam and viruses."

Based on Trend's micro mobile security product, it's able to protect against multiple threats and report back on crucial information such as virus pattern versions.

Arrgh this sucks. Antivirus on mobiles now? This only opens up a whole new world of serpents biting their own tails. Making an antivirus application for cell phones is only going to make virii themselves more abundant and thus we get stuck on the treadmill all over again. We're running faster but barely keeping up. Subscription fees, regular updates, memory management - It's just going to get messy.

What next? an antivirus software for my iPod/XBox 360?

edit: This is also going to aide the transfer-of-blame business. My phone got rogered due to a virus? Who's to blame? Myself of course! Why didn't I have an antivirus software installed! It's my own bloody fault.

Back