Android Fixing Nexus 7 2012 cracked digitizer

Anybody got nexus 7 digitizer alone replaced in Pune or mumbai/ thane?

I have one n7 lying around having display intact but digitizer cracked. Most of the times people or repair shops recommend or do complete replacement of lcd display along with digitizer but its costing around 4k. Where as replacing digitizer is expected to be quite cheap. But very sensitive job. So i am looking for tips on experienced person to do it.

As a last option i might do it myself. But first would prefer it done by experienced person.

I did it, and it was not an easy job. The digitizer was ordered off ebay (some hongkong dealer). It cost about $15 shipped.

Unfortunately, the LCD and digitizer are bonded together with LOCA (optical glue) and to remove it is a royal PITA. It took a long time and I had to place the screen in front of a heater to get the glue sufficiently soft enough so that I could put in a thin wire to separate them. Sawing the glue and removing both the LCD and digitizer pieces took a couple hours (at least). Removing the glue from the LCD took a lot more time (it is very sticky stuff).
I realized that I had scratched the LCD in a few places after all the sawing, but there wasn't any other way to do it. Finally, when the new digitizer was attached, I found the old LCD cable was not working (again, it's a very delicate item). A new one was ordered, and it worked finally. Keep in mind it's really easy to damage the LCD display if you're not careful with the removal.

Touch with the new digitizer isn't as good as the original, but it works well enough, the scratches are visible through the digitizer and I'm used to them by now. However, the important part is that I can read ebooks as I did before, and it's again useful for browsing etc.

I would suggest getting a used Nexus 7 instead and use it's digitizer+LCD panel if the data is important to you. If not, they are available for around 6K used for the 32GB version and you can use them as is.

Tks for the reply. And kudos for daring to do this fixing job and making it through.

Yes i am aware of the risk of breaking lcd etc complexity in separating digitizer. I have dismantled n7 several times so its not a big hassel.

I was thinking there mist be repair shops who are familiar and practised in this job but so far i havent found one in pune. Where are u from btw? And was any custom charged for digitizer order? I guess it was shipped from hong kong.

Its not about data. I want to use the nexus which is otherwise lying unused. I have one more n7 and one windows tab. So not interested in one more tab. Instead i would prefer to make this tab alright. There is no other issue with it other than cracked digitizer.

Back