Flat Out Lies About Firefox

firefoxworld7ea.jpg

Let's Get the Facts Straight

Today,TechWeb has an article that flat out lies about the Firefox 1.0 downloads and claims Opera has had a bigger launch. I'm not sure where they got these bogus, lowball stats, but they need to hear from you all that such blatant factual errors or misrepresentations are not acceptable. I mean, a simple Google News search would have made it quite clear how far Opera lags behind our initial download figures.

And [RANK="news.com.com/Big+splash+for+Opera/2100-1032_3-5681184.html"] C|net[/RANK] is falling down on the job, too, claiming that it took us five days to hit 1 million downloads. This so-called journalist needs to hear from you all too. Please quote C|Net's original article that refutes this new one about as directly as anything else. The incompetence just amazes me.

Firefox did well over 1 million downloads in the first 24 hours. We topped 10 million in the first month, and broke 25 million in less than 100 days. What gives here? Are they so lazy that they couldn't research themselves? Are they so gullible that someone could hand them the figures from our Preview Release (a beta) and they'd just print it without checking?

It's time for us to start pushing back on this kind of garbage. If you see any articles spreading this crap, I encourage you to write to their authors and editors and demand better. update: Blake has posted a response at news.com.

[RANK="www.spreadfirefox.com/?q=node/view/14263"]Source[/RANK]

Back