Flipkart to go app-only from September: Report

Hahaha yeah I fail to understand the laptop logic but he has done some good things as well. For amazon its there problem as all major sites ship to UP so its they who should deal with the paperwork. The truth is they cry about form filling but I have yet to face an incident where I have to provide those details. My question is if FK can then why can't you.
Threats from local businesses ? or amazon does not have local logistics set up in your state yet.

Threats from local businesses ? or amazon does not have local logistics set up in your state yet.
They ship product less than 5k so above point dont matter
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...-above-Rs-5000-in-UP/articleshow/43269889.cms.[DOUBLEPOST=1436346169][/DOUBLEPOST]
It was done because of the extent of fraud faced by them in UP. So, blame the cheaters in your state for it. :p

I believe Both Flipkart and Snapdeal too have restrictions on COD for UP. Would not be long before they too would have put restrictions all goods.
atleast ship prepaid orders

^^ The problem is fake orders, orders made using stolen accounts. and orders lost in transit.

Would you be fine if a phone worth 20k that you paid for is stolen in transit? Would you eat the loss and not hold Amazon liable?

That is main reason COD works so well. Sellers risk. Nothing paid unless you see it in your hands, best part is it comes to your doorstep. BUt they won't even do that, 10k is the max even from flipkart.

However, insiders associated with Amazon's delivery chain said the decision was taken due to buyer-end malpractices the company has faced.

"We've had many instances of items ordered from fake addresses. It affects everyone in the supply chain, because a lot of money and time is invested in catering to such orders. Just-for-fun orders are hurting e-commerce," said a courier operator which handles orders from various e-commerce portals, including Amazon, Flipkart and Snapdeal.
Naturally this never happens anywhere else in india just in UP :rolleyes:

They don't have their own couriers and the ones in UP are unreliable. can't blame the delivery guys so the customer suffers instead.

Last edited:
I won't miss Flipkart at all. My last order with them was 10 months back.
All their 'aapki wish hogi puri' feels so artificial and fake.

Meanwhile Amazon gets my business, 16 orders in the last 6 months worth more than 60k
I never faced any issues with any of the online stores (Amazon, Fk, SD, ebay) - its just that amazon is so much ahead in all the areas - so many exclusives, best price, huge products lineup and their legendary CS

Flipkart are striking their own foot with the axe. Really bad decision. I don't think I will install their app if I want to buy a product from them. Plus, I feel so much better opening sites on computer, rather than on phone, which I find cumbersome to use. For efficiency and other purpose, computer is the way to go.

I have also observed recently, that Flipkart has more price for stuff, compared to Amazon or other online sites. I recently found a difference of 800 ₹ or so, for an external drive that my cousin needed to buy. Obviously, I advised him to buy from where it was cheaper, that is, Amazon.

Flipkart had everything going great, but they are being stupid and over confident now, and it will definitely cost them.

I have also observed recently, that Flipkart has more price for stuff, compared to Amazon or other online sites.
i read somewhere that flipkart doesn't want "competition" to read cookie information. working from "isolated" app-only mode may thwart any kind of price comparison - manual or automated.

so, do they really want to hide their high prices as they cannot keep on giving discounts forever?

Raising the price of a Rs 1000 product to 1100 and then giving a 10% discount on the app is nothing new for Flipkart.

In any case, as long as an app has to connect to a backend services, they will be no position to stop services that provide price comparison services. How hard would it be reverse engineer the app package and figure out what API it uses to request data from the back end. All they can do is get rid of on the fly comparison tools like compare hatke.

If people want to compare prices, they can always open the app of Flipkart, and other site on their laptop, or even browser on their phone, and compare the prices.. what's stopping anyone from comparing? To resort to just app, to avoid price comparison would be really a stupid idea.

I don't know about you people but I'm not gonna install apps for every-fricking-thing. That includes Amazon's app.

I am with Mr.J on this one. I too don't like to install many apps, and there are only a few apps on my phone. I don't like to install apps for cabs too, like Ola... these stupid app ask for so much permissions on your phone.. don't want to give these apps such permissions.

^^ That is so they can track users, his contacts and other patterns. Uber sometime back demonstrated a console called God View from where they can track the location of any of their users who have their app installed. On map they can track in real time as a user goes about this every day life.

^^ That is so they can track users, his contacts and other patterns. Uber sometime back demonstrated a console called God View from where they can track the location of any of their users who have their app installed. On map they can track in real time as a user goes about this every day life.
You are quite right.This is a serious concern.

If one doesn't have a proper permissions/privacy guard installed on the phone, then these apps are stealing a LOT of information like location, contacts, messages, call records and calendar records. Quite a few apps have direct sd card access as well.

LBE security, MIUI security center and CM privacy guard provide decent protection, whilst the 'App Ops' app on play store provides very minimal protection.The absolute best method to track, record and manage app permissions is xPrivacy. It is an xposed module and gives the user granular control on app permissions. It is also the only privacy and permission managing app that allows for customised permission management by having blacklist and whitelist for specific permissions. That means you can allow a gallery app access to only a set folder on your sd card and block access to all other folders.

xPrivacy has a bit of a learning curve, but now I can't use a phone without it knowing how much of my data would get STOLEN!

Last edited:
I would also highly recommend using a firewall to block internet access to apps that don't need it, and Greenify to prevent apps like uber from tracking you 24x7.

This was used as an important plot point in Elementary.

I hope Android M lives up to the expectations about privacy and permission control.

Android M will have granular permissions. That is something I am looking forward to. That should have been implemented right from the start... still, better late than never.

is it only me or are others also feeling it that the flipkart app is showing up more popup alerts than before?i was wondering if i should uninstall the app - the notifications are almost comparable to those candy crush requests! guess time to uninstall the app! and the idoits stopped mobile app support!

Back