Flipkart to shut eBay India, sell used goods at new bay

6pack

ex-Mod
Source 1: Times Of India

Source 2: Economic Times

In what seems to be the end of an era, Flipkart said it will shut down one of India’s oldest running e-commerce sites
eBay.in. In its place, the Bengaluru-headquartered e-tailer will launch an online platform for refurbished or used products, which will be pitted against OLX and Quikr — current market leaders in the online secondhand goods space.

While taking over eBay.in, Flipkart said it wished to leverage cross-border trade through the platform, which would help its vendors sell to eBay’s global customers and its Indian customers buy from eBay’s international sellers. Subsequently, eBay India was named Mint-Kart.

eBay will end its strategic relationship with Flipkart, which includes ending of its commercial agreements with the e-tailer and terminating Flipkart’s licence to use the eBay.in brand, the company added.

The new platform for used goods by Flipkart is expected to be rolled out next month but customers may be able to shop on it only after six months. In the meanwhile, only Flipkart vendors will be able to access it, sources said.

eBay had said it will relaunch eBay India with a focus initially on cross-border trade.

eBay had said it will relaunch eBay India with a focus initially on cross-border trade.

Hope my Payback points will still work there. :)

Though not regular shopper in ebay.in, I have bought (and on my recommendation few of my friends also bought) few solid wood furniture from ebay in last 3/4 years and all were pretty happy with the purchases.

Ebay was anyways shit crap with unrealistic second hand prices quoted.
Hoping for something better and sensible....

Trumped up prices, fakes and very little of actual value. The only thing I managed to buy from ebay and not get completely scammed was a few vintage watches.

They list used i5 recent gen laptops for 15k and when you open the deal its just a laptop with working display and mobo but no ram and storage and when you add those boom the price goes beyond 25k. Hopeless!! For 15k odd one can grab great deal elsewhere.

how many think all those used laptops or other electronics they buy on exchange will end up on this site for a high price?

:( Used to avoid it like the plague, but I had recently warmed up to ebay. There can be some good items and deals there especially with coupons. Examples :
Benq monitor: 27" fullHD Rs. 13k , with hindsight 24" fullhd may have been better
Mi router, openwrt with usb : Rs. 1900
Logitech mouse - Rs 200 cheaper on ebay
Mi band - again 200-300 cheaper
Also Cheap cables

There are issues with ebay, like the router interface was in chinese, benq monitor doesn't have an indian plug. But personally I can deal with such stuff.

Ebay was a great place for stuff like cables, different kinds of adapters, tempered glass, batteries.. etc
Best thing was we used to get free shipping for all these teeny-tiny items most of the time..

Buying from ebay was always felt like kind of trying out my luck.
Only parameter to consider is seller rating, which again doesn't tell the whole story.
No customer rating/review of the product, only number of item sold.
Plus horror stories of ebay cust care :)

Ebay.in is still my goto place for DIY electronic components, laptop parts, server and pc parts, FPV's and everything-anything you can't find on Flipkart or Amazon. So F***ing bad flipkart is killing it. I'll always hate flipkart for killing ebay India. I'll still stick to ebay.com if they ship to India.

I have been a member since the Bazee.com days when it became ebay.in. Bought many small priced products but sometimes scammed with duplicates. It is hit and miss with the products but I have seen the shipping to be too fast than Amazon and Flipkart. Couple of weeks back bought a 600va Zeebronics UPS and got it delivered in 36hrs in perfect condition. Shame it is being pulled down by Flipkart.

Ebay.in is still my goto place for DIY electronic components, laptop parts, server and pc parts, FPV's and everything-anything you can't find on Flipkart or Amazon. So F***ing bad flipkart is killing it. I'll always hate flipkart for killing ebay India. I'll still stick to ebay.com if they ship to India.

Used to order these from ebay.in but realized that of late ebay.com ships pretty quickly. The prices of these small things are like half or less when bought directly from vendors in china than buying from the local guys.

Used to have lots of issues with packages not getting delivered earlier. However indian post seems to have improved a lot of late. Haven't lost an item in the last 12 months.

Used to order these from ebay.in but realized that of late ebay.com ships pretty quickly. The prices of these small things are like half or less when bought directly from vendors in china than buying from the local guys.

Used to have lots of issues with packages not getting delivered earlier. However indian post seems to have improved a lot of late. Haven't lost an item in the last 12 months.
I ordered some small modding stuff from US using USPS. They went missing enroute. Both the USPS and Indian Post denied responsibility. Btw I ordered twice. Lost both times. I haven't ordered anything from the U.S. nor used Indian Post since then.

Back