Car & Bike Ford Fiesta tyre change urgent help!

MohitPreet

Skilled
as said i need to change 2 of my tyres in my ford fiesta diesel,currently running on mrf zv2k 175/65/14 , dont need any upsize, as i wud be changing only 2 tyres

which tyres do u recommend guys , bridgestone or michellins , just want better comfort,handling and low noise and shud last long ,
will there be any problem with 2 tyres of different brands , and yes its urgent, need to change by monday and can u guys also tell me approx price for these tyres, my local dealer is quoting the following prices:

MRF 3900/- apiece

BRIDGESTONE 4200

MICHELLINS 4600/-

PS : i dont have much knowledge about tyres :)

Two different tread patterns change the handling and cornering characteristics of the car significantly.

Michelin XM1+ are good for comfort and grip, there are some wear issues but if you take care of them they should give you 50k+ easily.

Bridgestone are very hardwearing, so if you are looking for long lasting tyres, they should fit the bill. Harder tyres usually offer less grip. Less grip is less friction - so there may be a small mileage advantage to harder tyres. They lose badly when it comes to grip and safety.

^ so do u recommend i change all the 4 to new ones , 2 tyres are dead one has multiple punctures dont know how many more than 10 :p , its puncture over a puncture ,cant retain air for long and the other one has got a major cut on its inner wall and the whole car just wobbles and i think it is in danger of even bursting( as said by the dealer)

the dealer is not even ready to give 100 for these tyres :p , i was thinking of trading of the other 3 stock tyres also for watever he gives ( they have done 45k) and buy all new set of 5 - is it a good idea??

though the dealer says there is no problem with diff sets of tyres if they are of same size

i just want good comfortable ride , low noise , good grip and handling and maybe good fuel efficiency if possible and shud last alteast 40-45kms ,

will michelin xm1 fit the bill or bridgestone turanza er-60 and wat r their approximate prices , is my dealer quoting me the right price as mentioned in first post?

Prices for the Mich seem to be right.

And yes, ideally you should change at least 4 (can compromise the spare if you use it like a spare) but your situation seems so desperate I would change the affected ones immediately if budget is an issue. Any tyre will be better than the ones you have now. The misbalanced car will be killing your suspension.

If its more of city use you can go with the Michelins. Ideally their life is around the 35k range with anything above that a bonus. You can look at Apollo Accelere as well.

Preferably never use 2 different makes of tyre on the same axle.

yes my situation as of now is desperate as its my everyday car , i drive daily drive almost 80kms mostly on a very bad potholed highway ( 4 laning of the road is going on) , so the main road is in bad condition , with 2 tyres gone i cant drive my fiesta and have no option but to use other petrol car for 3-4 days max ,

now the problem is the dealer doesnt have stock of the mrf zv2k tyres which came as standard in my car , he says its now available easily now a days , otherwise wud have got those only case solved :p

but now have left with no option but to go either with bridgestone or michelins

@ bottle : why is michelin more suited for city , why not for the highways , shud i go for bridgestone then?

wat r the pros and cons of these 2 , please explain in little more detail , thanks

yoko's not available in my city :(

Don't know if its a one off experience but I had issues with wet grip on my XM1+ tyres. The tyres had done about 25k kms I think and had several mm of tread left but were severely aqua-planing on the expressway at speeds of 50-60kmph. Took a while to find out why but one dealer said that XM1s are meant for city use and the silica compound is only on the top few mm.

I did some reading around and saw that XM1's are made from rubber that has low rolling resistance in order to help improve noise and increase mileage but typically these have very bad grip in the wet. To counter this they add a silica compound so you get the benefit of low rolling resistance as well as wet grip. What the dealer said is that the silica compound is only on the top certain percentage of the tyre and doesn't go all the way for the entire tread depth which kind of makes sense on why I had issues even with lot of tread depth.

All this could depend on vehicle and driving style so theres no guarantee that this would happen either :p One guy on team bhp said his Qualis did 1lac kms on the original XM1 tyres :p

Michelin's are the best. I got the same on my ikon and on my new honda city, i'd instructed the sales person that i want XM1+ only. Super silent tires, a little soft but improve the handling a lot.

Apollo Accelere is another smart tire.

""its like this. If you are the kind of driver who likes to go hard on corners, then the XM1+ are not meant for the purpose. But otherwise, for a regular driver they do the job quite well. The handling and grip levels are quite decent and predictable for a regular user. Where they really score high are brilliant ride comfort, low noise and also wet weather performance.

As far as the Turanzas are concerned, there is a dedicated thread :-

Team-BHP - The Definitive Indian Car Community (Bridgestone Turanza - Very trust worthy!)

If you go through user reports , you get the feeling that the Turanza ER-60 are indeed better all-rounders than the Michelins. That is, they do have a good balance of ride comfort, low noise, good handling and grip levels. Some members who have used both (lohithrao I believe) do mention that the Turanzas are much better at tackling rough/ bad road conditions. So based on user reports, I think they have an edge over Michelins, especially in the grip and cornering parameters. Add to that the fact that they will be cheaper by a few hundreds than the Michelins.

The one thing, though its definitely not a negative, nor a reason for choosing tyres is the fact that when you keep the two together and have a look at them, you will instantly fall for the way the Michelins look and feel. The Turanzas definitely dont look great. Infact, the Turanzas were my first preference as well. At that point of time, based on the reviews here, I thought the two would almost be identical (and they are in most parameters, except the difference in handling/cornerning bit which I know of only after I have used them). So I instinctively went for the Michelins the moment I saw them.""

this is the summary that i found from this thread at tam -bhp Michelin Energy XM1+ & Bridgestone Turanza ER-60....The Best Allrounders? - Page 12 - Team-BHP

i guess bridgestone wud suit me the best depending on the road conditions i drive on , bridsestone wud take that kind of abuse better than xm1+

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

on reading year old threads on team bhp prices of the these tyres are in the range of 3200-3800/- , have these prices increased now in a year?

its now 4600 for michelins and 4200 for bridgestone?

i ll go in tomorrow most likely for the tire change once the prices are confirmed!

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

now i am confused whether to put the 2 new tyres on the front or rear , i thought it shud be in the front but after reading this on michelin website i m really confused:

""FOR COMPLETE CONTROL, FIT YOUR NEW TYRES TO THE REAR AXLE

Rear wheels are not connected to your steering wheel, which makes it extremely difficult to judge their grip while driving. So for your safety, always fit new, or the least worn, tyres to the rear wheel positions to ensure:

Better control in emergency braking or tight corners

Less risk of losing control of your vehicle, especially on wet surfaces

Better road holding, particularly in difficult situations, whether your car is front or rear wheel drive""

http://www.michelin.in/Home/Interactive-Centre/Tyre-Training-Centre/Tyre-safety-saving-tips

wat do u guys says shud the new tyres be in the front or rear??

For our engines and speeds done, doesn't matter I guess :p If you do high speeds the extra grip in the front will make you drive faster but if the surface is wet or you do some fumble the rear loses grip and spins. If you are a sane driver don't worry otherwise fit the tyres to the back

so finally took the plunge and bought 2 michelins energy xm1+ :p , i was so confused after seeing er60 , its sidewall is so tough then all others

but then all other indian tyres like mrf have soft sidewalls and even after driving 45k kms on these there has been no damage to mrf sidewalls , i went in with michelins ,they r so better and smooth looking than brigdestone (though they look tougher)

i put them in front , while changing tyres i saw one more tyre damged with uneven wear n tear which is now in the stepny ,

i guess anywhere between 5-10k kms i will get the rest 3 changed as well

final cost 4500 for each tyre 9000 in all including balancing and alignment, didnt get anything for the 2 old tyres :p

and the short drive back home for 2-3kms i felt the steering to be lighter than before ,

will see how they fare when i go tomorrow morning for a 80 km drive up n down to my hospital and back home

TIP:
If you dont mind holding the used types, store for sometime & give it for BigBazzar offers, They do take such used items & give you coupons ;)

Back