Car & Bike Formula 1 2014 Discussion thread.

@rdst_1 - Thank you for starting this thread. I have been waiting for someone to start a thread had drafted one myself a while back but was too lazy to post it.

What about going at a similar pace to GP2 cars ? or are they sandbagging
In a way you can say they were sandbagging. The tests were not to determine the fastest car but to check if every system in the car function properly.

So far things are looking dodgy for Red Bulls but you never know because they have always caught up and beaten the competition.

This year there has been a lot of changes and I will have to say I won't be rooting for Lotus. The 2 people that I liked have left the team Eric Boullier and Kimi Raikkonen.

I will be rooting for Force India this year because they have an exciting driver line up and they made a car that has a paint job similar to that of Arrows - Black and Orange. I ain't kidding you the livery is something I really wanted look at the quoted post from the 2013 thread -

Apart from the driver line up there are some rumours that Marussia might merge with Sauber. I hope that doesn't happen, if anything I hope a new team (preferably a factory team) joins the grid and has livery similar to that of the (2002) Orange Arrows.

I know it is not a new team but that is a nice color combination. I hope all cars dump the dildo/vacuum shaped noses and adopt more normal looking noses.

It is said that 2 teams might join in 2015. I hope one of them has the Jordan Yellow like livery.

Time to revive this thread then. Practice session starts tomorrow and it would be exciting to see how many cars finish the first GP and in which order. Who is sandbagging and who is carrying false hopes. How soon can the leaders of the yester years catch up. I am too excited even though I wont be able to watch the qualifying or race. :arghh:

@bottle - The Bahrain lap times have at least confirmed that there is hardly any lack in pace overall.

PS: I bought the season pass of the official F1 app now that it was priced reasonable this season at INR 590. So I am hoping it will be the second best thing to watching it live.

I am curious to see how Red Bulls run this weekend. It is said that they have rearranged the internals and have kept the aerodynamics unchanged. They suspect that the tight packaging was not really the reason for the overheating engine.

It is said that Caterham had not turned up their engine to max during testing so the huge intakes was not the reason for their more reliability compared to Red Bull. Let's see what happens to them.

well RBR eh? they did awesome today ! :) It might not be such a huge deficit afterall and knowing RBR, i guess it will be another 2014 unless Merc or Ferrari have something special up their sleeves
Caterham on the other hand. took a nose-dive i guess

You can never know who is fishing where until the race is run. You can top the timesheeets in a single run but managing it all in the race would be quite another task. Reduction is fuel limit along with tire management could make them go slower even when sitting in a fast car.

Mercedes seem to have the upper hand from initial impressions, Was hoping for a good run from Williams in the Martini livery :D but Massa was below the top 10

That was a topsy turvy session :). Vettel, Raikonnen out in Q2. Mercedes on top as expected. Riccardio :O. Also Kyvat was a revelation!

Also Kamui is back, and he dragged the Caterham into Q2 :D, helped by the rain no doubt, but still!

This season looks interesting, hopefully they will get rid of the insane double points for Abu Dhabi sooner rather than later

I like the onboard sound but otherwise it feels so meh that I am left wondering if they were going fast enough. The slides by some of the drivers and their control over it was amazing to

Qualifying -
Mercedes - From the tests we know that Mercedes can go the distance and cover that distance quicker than anyone. Qualifying proved the quick bit and tomorrow's race will assert both of those points.
Williams were close but loose a bit of that edge in wet conditions or was it that they were running intermediates and the Mercedes used Wet tyres.
Red Bull - They seem to have sorted their problems in qualifications atleast to some extent. I saw the last 25 minutes of Practice 3 and I remember Vettel saying that the car wouldn't accelerate near the end of P3. May be that led to some handling problems for Vettel because he really seemed to be struggling during P3 and Qualifying. *More on this later in post.
Ferrari - Remember Fire and Ice 2005 (Montoya + Kimi). That didn't work out and looking at the poor show by Kimi we can only hope that he stops stumbling and starts driving fast, really fast. Fred more than delivered today.
Force India - Rain ruined their chances of having both cars in top 10.
McLaren - They seem to be back, Kimi ruined Button's chances but not bad otherwise. Only one question - Where is Marting Whitmarsh?
Toro Rosso - They now have the same engine as their sister team and at one point was touted as the better sibling this season. In rain they were not as fast as RBR but they fast enough to make Jean look good in qualifying.
Sauber/Lotus - They have dropped the ball.
Caterham - Kamui came back and dragged them to Q2 but I think Marussia is better plus they have Jules (a really quick driver despite the equipment) and Max Chilton (Stability to the max - well that is it - too slow hence reliable).

Kevin and Daniil - Both did a tremendous job.

Race Predictions -
Impossible to predict at this point but if the race is dry then Mercedes powered cars will move ahead of Ferrari powered cars who in turn will move ahead of Renault powered cars (in general terms). Daniel might slip back and Kevin can emulate Lewis i.e., podium in the first race.
Drivers to watch out for tomorrow -
Kimi if he doesn't bin it.
Perez for overtakes.
Maldonado for spins and gravel runs till he retires, race ends or black flagged

@soggy316 - Button was hampered thanks to Kimi bringing out the Yellow flags on the penultimate lap in Q2. So we can't say that for sure. Yes Kevin was faster than him in Q1

Vettel's lack of control -
Is it just me or is Vettel not happy with tail happy cars? Remember 2012 when RBR were struggling with rear downforce Mark was beating Sebastien. They then fixed that issue and Vettel was back to his dominant ways. The new rules have changed the exhaust system to a single central exhaust which renders previous solutions useless. He either has to adapt to less rear grip or RBR will have to come with a better solution for rear grip and balance.

The Holy Drunkard was playing with switches on his in lap before the crash. I wonder who switched off his brain?

Last edited:
Seb had a software issue and its a faulty sensor according to Horner

About K Mag beating JB, Q3 was a bit of misfortune but Kevin put the car where it belongs.

A nice way to start the season. Lovely drives from Magnussen, Riccardio and Button and Bottas.

Poor Riccardio. disqualified for higher than permissible fuel flow throughout the race. So RBR are not totally out of the woods yet.

Mercedes look to be in a class of their own. Mclaren, Williams and Ferrari (assuming they can sort out the electricals) are a reasonably distant second.

^ Ric hasn't been disqualified yet but maybe he will be[DOUBLEPOST=1394975032][/DOUBLEPOST]its done now. .so Kevin moves to P2 and Button P3. this is great news for the McLaren team

Last edited:
So, Mercedes are insane. RBR are almost there though.

Poor Massa, he switches teams but still gets the same radio mesages :D.

Riccardi is literally Webber v2.0.

Is there any way to watch race on net(like youtube) live or recap in 10 to 15 min video just after end of the race?
Sadly I don't get change to watch on TV live these days.

^ Get a starsports.com season pass. for F1.

2 races over but it still feels like the season is yet to start :(
Not that happening yet but good to see some changes in the top ranking.
Who would have thought that RIC would be equally competitive as Vettel if given a similar car.
Looks like Red Bull will definitely bounce back.
Kimi is yet to show some magic. And thats making the team red look a little pale right now.
Lets see what the next races have in store for us.
Next Race being a day/night will be even more exciting. This season will surely be a change....

@Revolution - You might be able to watch a repeat telecast of skysports feed on Vipbox but beware of the ads last time I accidentally clicked on a popup ad that nearly infected my PC. Stupid useless Avira.

@soggy316 - I wonder what happens when the Mercedes really turn up the heat. RBR replaced by Mercedes but it is the same story of domination with different characters.

@onlyravi - Kimi's luck is back to what it was in his first stint.

Really felt bad for Daniel today I hope he gets his second place back.

Wish Ferrari had taken risks with Kimi after the incident. Put him on a hard tyre for a long stint to somewhere around lap 40. Then last stint on soft tyres. There was nothing to loose. I know 38 laps on heavy fuel and comparatively green track would have lost him some time but it could have still worked and got him some points.

I wonder what happens when Massa drives his family to a picnic. Someone in the car - "Felipe your grandmother is faster than you. Do you copy? Now rollover and let her drive."

Back