Car & Bike Formula 1 2017 Discussion thread

vishalrao

Global Moral Police
Skilled
So where's the 2017 discussion thread?

Bottas confirmed for Merc... I hope he humiliates Lewis this year. I've always thought of Hamilton and Rosberg as way too overrated drivers nowhere near as fast as some of the real talent like Alonso, Vettel, Ricciardo and even Max.

But with some rule/format changes (like wider tires) hopefully there are some good close races and not all just Merc again.

So where's the 2017 discussion thread?

Bottas confirmed for Merc... I hope he humiliates Lewis this year. I've always thought of Hamilton and Rosberg as way too overrated drivers nowhere near as fast as some of the real talent like Alonso, Vettel, Ricciardo and even Max.

But with some rule/format changes (like wider tires) hopefully there are some good close races and not all just Merc again.

About time we started the 2017 thread. I am waiting for the car releases which is in February.

He better impress the bosses at Mercedes because it is a 1 year contract. More importantly welcome back Massa.

@vishalrao - Eh? I am pretty sure I posted that in the 2016 thread. Oh well... looks like we have one now. Let's start off by tagging the others

@Renegade , @rdst_1 , @bottle ,@Obi-Wan , @soggy316 ,@onlyravi , @hotshot05 , @sbhas2k , @Fenix ,@aZZu ,@Arjun ,@Crazy_Eddy, @dingodile_r89, @Sudarshan_SMD, @latino_ansari, @vishalrao, @Jakob, @xtremevicky, @su30mki117, @Chaos , @GPMlore , @rajan1311 , @RS4 , @Bugabear , @fleshfragger

A quick update as this is probably the most active Formula One down time between 2 seasons.

1. Formula One is now owned by Liberty Media. Let's hope they don't Americanize the series.
  2. They have ousted Bernie Eccelstone post take over
  3. Ross Brawn is incharge of the technical department not the commercial aspects like Bernie
  4. Chase Carey will be replacing Bernie
  5. The weird race in which Felipe Nasr scored 2 points ended up killing his career indirectly
  6. Sauber replaced Nasr after Nasr lost his main sponsor
  7. Nasr could have still made it to the grid if Manor had stuck around but Nasr's 2 points in Brazil caused them to fall out of top 10 and the prize money they were scheduled to get
  8. Manor is not completely gone yet but put in administration mode. Let's hope there are takers for it
  9. In another news former F1 driver aka Juan Pablo Montoya won this year's ROC
  10. Back to F1 News - Though just a speculation at this stage it is possible that Ferrari might loose their Bonus amount as a historical team
  11. Drivers aren't the only ones switching or leaving teams this winter with Paddy Lowe leaving Mercedes and joining Williams, former Ferrari employee James Allison joining Mercedes, Pat Symonds leaves Williams and Fred Vasseur left Renault.
  12. Lance Stroll is the only new driver on the grid. Vandoorne too is a rookie but we have seen him perform and he is good. So Lance is the only unknown entity among drivers
  13. McLaren has passed the crash tests
  14. 7 new line ups to look forward to
    1. McLaren - Alonso (O) and Vandoorne (N)
    2. Haas - Grosjean (O) and Magnussen (N)
    3. Renault - Palmer (O) and Hulkenberg (N)
    4. Williams - Massa (O) and Stroll (N)
    5. Mercedes - Hamilton (O) and Bottas (N)
    6. Force India - Perez (O) and Ocon (N)
    7. Sauber - Ericcson (O) and Wehrlein (N)
  15. Bottas only has a 1 year contract with Mercedes with an option to extend
  16. There's now a street named in honor of Jules Bianchi
  17. Webber too was honored by Australia with the title of 'Officer of the Order of Australia'
  18. The rules for driver penalties in a collision has now been revised
  19. The in season testing which was held at Silverstone will now be held at Hungary this year.
  20. Sir Stirling Moss was admitted in a hospital at Singapore with a chest infection
This is all I know at the moment.

Update on Manor.

It was in Administration but on Friday they have shutdown as they could not find a buyer for the team.

The team did a splendid job for the budget they had and beat Sauber on merit but Sauber lucked into twice the points in Brazil.

They also earned points with Jules Bianchi when they were Marussia.

The Virgin/Marussia/Manor team also was the only team to see 2 of their drivers die - Maria De Villota and Jules Bianchi. RIP both

I hope the staff of Manor find employment with the other teams or get taken up by someone else like Ferrari or Mercedes or McLaren as a B team to nurse their upcoming drivers like Red Bull does with Toro Rosso.

The guys at Manor like Force India know how to punch above their weight and will be solely missed this year.

With a heavy heart I bid adieu to them the minnows of F1 from 2010-2016 who showed stupid team principals like Tony Fernandes and Monisha Kaltenborn on how to get results from a budget that is a fraction of the top teams.

P.S.: I know some of you will wonder why I said Tony and Monisha. Tony had a team that had a good amount of investment in it but he drove it into the ground. Monisha did much worse though. After BMW Peter Sauber bought back the team and put his team on an upward spiral but Monisha not only ruined the teams finances but also Team Sauber's names with her antics. Team Sauber was highly respected for giving the sport names like Kimi Raikkonen, Felipe Massa, Michael Schumacher etc.,

Fun fact - You are wondering why I said Michael Schumacher. Well you see before Michael Schumacher debuted for F1 he raced and won in World Sportscar Championship in a Sauber Mercedes C11. He is also said to have test driven the Sauber C16. So you can say Sauber didn't bring Michael Schumacher into F1 by being the first to give him a drive for F1 but they did highlight him with that win.

The cars are beginning to roll out.

Williams showed a glimpse of their car which I think is just a may be trailer but Sauber officially unveiled their car.

I like the livery of the Sauber but really hate the shark fin and the dildo nose.

Hope McLaren too improves on their livery and stops sending a charcoal to the race.

Aussie GP this week, inclusive of a pink force india. Merc look like they will run away with this years championship too, so better hope bottas is up to challenging Hamilton.

Has anyone watched races on hotstar? I am thinking of getting a membership, how much data does one race (1.5 hours) consume? is there any value addition over and above the broadcast?

Aussie GP this week, inclusive of a pink force india. Merc look like they will run away with this years championship too, so better hope bottas is up to challenging Hamilton.

Has anyone watched races on hotstar? I am thinking of getting a membership, how much data does one race (1.5 hours) consume? is there any value addition over and above the broadcast?

Better get a jio connection & watch using JIO TV. I guess from 500 mb to 1GB will get consumed and the consumption will go high if in higher resolution

Better get a jio connection & watch using JIO TV. I guess from 500 mb to 1GB will get consumed and the consumption will go high if in higher resolution
Last year you could watch the races on Wi Fi too on Jio TV. You just had to start the broadcast using your Jio internet connection. Then when you switch over to Wi Fi, it used to work like normal.

But faced a lot of issue at that time. My cable internet could not keep up with the broadcast or there was some bug in the app due to which sometimes the last 30-40 sec video looped while the app was fetching data for the next segment of the video. I think I had posted my issues in last years F1 thread.

Note - Even if you use Jio TV app, on selecting Star Sports Select HD1/2 channel, it will open up the Hotstar app(you have to install Hotstar to see these premium channels) and launch the channel in the Hotstar app itself. So any issue that I faced was a problem with the Hotstar app itself.

Last year you could watch the races on Wi Fi too on Jio TV. You just had to start the broadcast using your Jio internet connection. Then when you switch over to Wi Fi, it used to work like normal.

But faced a lot of issue at that time. My cable internet could not keep up with the broadcast or there was some bug in the app due to which sometimes the last 30-40 sec video looped while the app was fetching data for the next segment of the video. I think I had posted my issues in last years F1 thread.

Note - Even if you use Jio TV app, on selecting Star Sports Select HD1/2 channel, it will open up the Hotstar app(you have to install Hotstar to see these premium channels) and launch the channel in the Hotstar app itself. So any issue that I faced was a problem with the Hotstar app itself.

Probably a stupid question, but if i have a jio connection on mobile, is there any way to get the JIO TV/Hotstar to work on my wifi only ipad? I really don't want to watch F1 on a 5" screen

Probably a stupid question, but if i have a jio connection on mobile, is there any way to get the JIO TV/Hotstar to work on my wifi only ipad? I really don't want to watch F1 on a 5" screen
I am not 100% sure about this but if you can connect your iPad to the hotspot created from the phone having Jio connection, then it should work. Anyway you will have to login into Jio TV app using your MyJio account credentials. So it should work.

@soggy316 Just tried it out by installing Jio TV app on my old Moto G 1st gen phone. Put the phone on Jio hotspot network shared from my Redmi Note 3.

But for some reason, the app does not start properly when on hotspot network. It gives error message. If I put my Moto G on cable internet, the app opens up properly but does not allow me to play any channel as it requires phone to be on Jio network or phone should have active Jio SIM in any of the SIM slots.

On my Redmi Note 3, Jio SIM is present. But it allowed me to play the channels even when my phone was connected to cable internet wi fi.

@soggy316 Just tried it out by installing Jio TV app on my old Moto G 1st gen phone. Put the phone on Jio hotspot network shared from my Redmi Note 3.

But for some reason, the app does not start properly when on hotspot network. It gives error message. If I put my Moto G on cable internet, the app opens up properly but does not allow me to play any channel as it requires phone to be on Jio network or phone should have active Jio SIM in any of the SIM slots.

On my Redmi Note 3, Jio SIM is present. But it allowed me to play the channels even when my phone was connected to cable internet wi fi.

Alright, cool. I'll experiment with the ipad and see :).

I didn't get to watch the qualifying live yesterday but was following the timings over formula1.com website and the mobile version isn't that bad. I was earlier thinking of purchasing the access for a year but the data given by simply signing up is good enough unless you want sector by sector times, tyre, fuel etc. related data that will help you calculate rough strategies in your head.

I did watch qualifying today and knowing results beforehand made it a snooze fest but I wanted to hear what the commentators had to say when Bottas was ahead of Lewis for a while in Q2 and when the home hero aka Daniel binned it causing a red flag.

Let's move on to the race.

The race was going to be boring considering the cars are now wider, the rear tyres are now wider to increase mechanical grip but the aerodynamic modifications made by the car again make it difficult for the cars to follow, the tyre compounds changed to make them last longer and the track is a street circuit so not only is it narrower and the dirty side of the track being really dirty. So overall what we had was a formula to a single stop bore fest race.

I don't know why there was an abandoned start at the start. The Ferrari's despite being on the dirty side of the track did well to hold on to their positions. I am sure Bottas was just biding his time considering his pace post pit stop but Kimi was horrible in both stints.

Hamilton vs Vettel

At the start of the race the left front of the Ferrari seemed to have a few blisters and I thought the Mercedes tyres must be in better shape but I guess that wasn't the case. A cockpit camera view similar to that of Vettel for Lewis would have helped clear that doubt. Vettel did a fantastic first stint staying so close to Lewis and making him whine on the radio about the tyres which might have forced the Mercedes to take a gamble and pit Lewis hoping that Ferrari would follow to avoid the undercut. A brilliant strategy which was foiled by Ferrari's usual reluctance to pit their drivers. It worked out this time because despite Lewis being fast post pit stop he got stuck behind Max and Max at this point I am sure started driving more defensively causing both cars to slow down from the target delta. Ferrari saw the opportunity open up and took it.

Though Max pit within a few laps Lewis's tyres were past their best and the Ferrari did have the pace to pull away. Lewis did complain about the power being a bit unsteady later on when Bottas seemed to be catching him but Ferrari won this race on merit. Considering how fast Bottas was catching Lewis I am sure he was told to hold station.

Despite Ferrari winning I still wonder if Ferrari has what it takes to continue to win. I say that because Vettel managed to get ahead of Lewis because of a bad strategy call and Lewis couldn't get past Max because of the nature of the track. The rebranded Renault engine in the back of that Red Bull is using 2016 ERS (Source: Commentary during the race.) so it is definitely lacking power and the Mercedes would have easily passed it on a normal track with a long straight. Considering this I think that may be things would have worked out differently on a different track.

The Others -

I can see why McLaren got rid of Kevin, he was nowhere near Romain in the qualifying and took himself out of the equation right at the start in the incident.

A Sauber and a Haas both running Ferrari engines had a blow out and I wonder if this is a cause for concern for cars using Ferrari power.

Daniel really needs to outshine Max this year and the start has been anything but ideal for him.

I was hoping Renault would be further up the grid considering they wrote off 2016 to focus on 2017 early on in 2016.

McLaren 3rd time in a row. Honda really are a mess. I think now that Brawn would have failed in 2009 with a Honda engine.

I don't understand why Kvyat was made to pit when he was ahead of Sainz.

Stroll is a formula one troll and will soon join the ranks of Alex Yoong, Taki Inoue etc. (Most useless drivers in F1).

Back