Car & Bike Formula 1 2017 Discussion thread

The jiotv->hotstar worked fine on my Nexus 5 but on my ipad, even if i had logged into jiotv, hotstar only showed the "free account" options, Select HD1/2 were not available, so i watched on the nexus 5. Decent quality for the screen size, and i'm guessing it would be ok if it is on the ipad too.

As for the race, it was fine. It seems to me if Ferrari want to challenge merc in any way they have to get on the first two rows in qualy. Dirty air looks to be a real tyre/aero killer.

I think this is the first time in this era that Merc are not leading the WDC, and only the second time they are not leading the WCC.

The main problem with Hotstar sports coverage is you have to watch it at 24-25 FPS which looks really weird to me, Both Formula 1 and Cricket look much better in TV at 50/60 FPS when compared to this 24/25 FPS hotstar streaming.

Watching the race today I really felt like Kimi should have retired long back. In 2013 I believed Kimi could match and even beat Alonso. At the end of 2014 I told myself that the car was made to suit Alonso better had it not been for that then may be Kimi would have matched him.

Today I seriously felt like Kimi should just step aside and let Alonso back in. Alonso dragged that dog to 7th position but had to retire like Melbourne. Kimi drives a Ferrari and succumbs to Red Bulls and kept whining on the radio. They didn't play out the Team's responses but I am sure there was no issue. Had it been there it would have plagued him the entire race and am sure at one point resulted in him retiring.

As much as I support Kimi, I think it is time for him to retire and hopefully he will at the end of this season.

The Race -

The race started off on a drying track and it was the first VSC that shaked things up. A bunch of cars with different strategies. I wonder how that would have played out had it not been for the actual safety car. I wonder if Hulk and Vettel's gamble would have played out.
A few things we can conclude from this race is
- Kimi is a tool
- Alonso is a fool (when choosing a team)
- Red Bull has a good chassis
- Mercedes still has an edge over Ferrari
- Max drives to put himself in a position where different strategies become available to him
- Daniel better pickup his pace
- If you want to win don't hire a Finn (Kimi or Valtteri)

Stroll will need some time to make his mark. If verstappen was not there maybe people would have had given him some time. But now there is no chance.

Felt sorry for Sauber and Giovinazzi. The crash happened because of his inexperience.

Alonso looked like he would kill the Honda engine designers

Apparently Alonso will be racing at this year's Indy 500 and miss the Monaco F1 GP !

Any idea if the Indy 500 will be telecast on "local" TV (like on TataSky) here in India?

Apparently Alonso will be racing at this year's Indy 500 and miss the Monaco F1 GP !

Any idea if the Indy 500 will be telecast on "local" TV (like on TataSky) here in India?

Source? Also where to watch it. I think Juan Pablo Montoya is back in Indy Car as well. Should be a good race.

I saw it mentioned on CNN sports news yesterday and also shows on some F1 news site - gpupdate.net

Maybe Jensen Button will race in Monaco.

Bahrain was awesome. Ferrari look like they might actually threaten Mercedes. Bottas Ricciardio and Kimi had pretty bad races. The three-way battle for 11th (Alonso Kyvat Palmer) was also brilliant with Alonso's engine obviously failing at the very end.

I saw it mentioned on CNN sports news yesterday and also shows on some F1 news site - gpupdate.net

Maybe Jensen Button will race in Monaco.

Jenson confirmed for Monaco. Fernando to begin training for Indy Car from today.

Bahrain was awesome. Ferrari look like they might actually threaten Mercedes. Bottas Ricciardio and Kimi had pretty bad races. The three-way battle for 11th (Alonso Kyvat Palmer) was also brilliant with Alonso's engine obviously failing at the very end.

I am not sure Alonso didn't suffer an engine failure. I think he went offline and shredded his rear tyre leading to vibration. By retiring midrace they can now change multiple components on the engine without incurring a penalty.

I am still not completely convinced that Ferrari are better than Mercedes. Ferrari this year definitely have the pace but appear sharp strategy wise as well. It was their strategy combined with the Safety Car, Hamilton's penalty and Merecedes's strategy that resulted in Vettel's victory.

I think Mercedes definitely has the edge performance wise and Bottas too would have done better but he too was compromised in the race with issues plaguing him right from the start.

Poor Stroll getting trolled. 3rd race he couldn't finish because of no fault of his own.

Overall the race was very interesting and would have been even better if Max stuck around.

I guess JB won't be salivating at the prospect of driving like another animal in the bullock cart that is the mclaren :D

Super Like Mate.

I doubt Jenson will bother pushing the car. He didn't care despite taking himself out in the last reason of 2016. The question is - What if Fernando does well in Indy 500? There are rumors of Renault interested in pairing him with Hulkenberg. Will he choose to sit out the rest of the season and drive in other series and join Renault next year?

Remember Kimi in 2009. Experimenting with Rallying and then leaving F1 for Rallying at the end of the season.

Who knows what lies ahead for Alonso. IIRC there were some reported comments that Bottas might get replaced next season.

So will he stick with F1 or pursue that "triple crown" thing.

Nice Russian GP!

Perfect start for Bottas - he effectively won the race on the first lap second corner overtake on Vettel and then maintained a good gap in the first stint.

Although if Ferrari pit crew didn't lose nearly 1 second for Vettel in the pit stop it might have been a different result but I am happy for Bottas - he deserves this win. Even if Vettel didn't lose 1 sec in pit stop does not mean he could have overtaken easily anyway.

Looking forward to more such races between Ferrari and Merc for the rest of the season.

"TIL" (yesterday) from the commentary that Ferrari has a 20 cm shorter wheelbase compared to the Mercs so twisty tracks (like Monaco?) should be interesting to see.

Although if Ferrari pit crew didn't lose nearly 1 second for Vettel in the pit stop it might have been a different result but I am happy for Bottas - he deserves this win. Even if Vettel didn't lose 1 sec in pit stop does not mean he could have overtaken easily anyway.
I'd blame bastrd Massa. Merc Williams dost dost. Not giving way was a deliberate act.

@swatkats - Even if Massa didn't impede him the result would have been no different. Let's not forget Bottas on the same lap got impeded by a Sauber which uses a Ferrari engine.

The race after the first few corners was a snooze fest. There was no way anyone can overtake on this circuit and the only thing that could have worked was if Ferrari was close to Bottas - less than 2 seconds and then undercut him. What they did was fall back to around 5 seconds and maintained the gap. The moment Vettel started to close in on Bottas to perform the under cut Mercedes called Bottas in and Ferrari was left with no option but to either pit Vettel in or hope Vettel would put him some really fast laps and doesn't run into traffic while Bottas runs into traffic. Vettel was the one who encountered a bit of traffic instead and finally he was pitted but barely had gained any advantage.

What is good to see this year is there is no bad blood among the drivers so far but I am expecting Lewis to become grumpy again if this continues and the relation between Daniel and Max to sour soon.

Yep, Russia was boring, the only reasonably fun Russia gp was when nico spun off and had to do a one stop through the field a couple of years back. There are rumours flying of McLaren getting Merc power next year, Honda and Sauber have a signed a deal, so good luck to them :D

Back