Car & Bike Formula 1 2017 Discussion thread

Yep, Russia was boring, the only reasonably fun Russia gp was when nico spun off and had to do a one stop through the field a couple of years back. There are rumours flying of McLaren getting Merc power next year, Honda and Sauber have a signed a deal, so good luck to them :D
I don't think McLaren will get/take Mercedes engines. McLaren have the ability to produce cars which can beat the factory Merc team. Merc won't like being beaten by a customer team. Since Renault is making a comeback as a factory team, they still sell their engines to a big team like Red Bull. Ferrari only supplies to smaller teams.
Most likely Honda will purchase some IP from Merc/Ferrari to improve their engines.

Yep, Russia was boring, the only reasonably fun Russia gp was when nico spun off and had to do a one stop through the field a couple of years back. There are rumours flying of McLaren getting Merc power next year, Honda and Sauber have a signed a deal, so good luck to them :D
McLaren aren't getting a Mercedes power unit, they've a ten year deal with Honda and Honda not only provides them with free engines as part of the deal but also pays a chunk of the team's salary and have veto power when choosing drivers as well. What Honda is doing is they'll pay Mercedes for their help with regards to guiding them and pay the consulting fee.

I haven't seen the qualifying. I have read a lot on sites hailing him and just wondering is it only - Alonso?

This is the exact same thing we saw at Ferrari - If he won or got a podium or did better it was Alonso if not it was Ferrari

Sure McHonda has been horrible and Alonso is understandably upset but I am sure his team is doing the best they can to rectify the issues. Honda definitely made a garbage engine but I am sure they must have done something to help Alonso get that P7 unless Alonso tied the McLaren to his back and ran across the circuit.

I am not trying to take anything away from Fernando but I see a trend.

Guys welcome @Vagabond a possible new F1 follower.

I thought F1 was losing more followers than gaining, what with all the snoozefest races for the past few years :D

The qualifying finale was probably the most exciting part with Vettel losing pole by just 0.05 seconds or so. Rest of the weekend? ZZZZZZZZZZZ

The Spanish GP wasn't that bad considering the strategies at play.

I don't know why Ferrari pitted Vettel as he had a cushion of 2.5 seconds and could have played the 'Who blinks first?' game with Mercedes considering how kind they are on tyres. The moment they pit him I knew they were on the backfoot. Bottas taking out Kimi and then blocking Vettel helped Lewis substantially. Bottas retiring proves that Karma exists. The VSC being triggered also compounded to Vettel's woes.

The race was all about the strategy and the drivers pushing to make it work.

On a side note really happy to see Kimi and Ferrari bring in the Kimi fan who was in tears when Kimi was taken out by Bottas.

Also, fire the commentator man. I can't take any more of the Lewis worship. I will quit watching F1 if this continues.

I haven't seen the qualifying. I have read a lot on sites hailing him and just wondering is it only - Alonso?

This is the exact same thing we saw at Ferrari - If he won or got a podium or did better it was Alonso if not it was Ferrari

Sure McHonda has been horrible and Alonso is understandably upset but I am sure his team is doing the best they can to rectify the issues. Honda definitely made a garbage engine but I am sure they must have done something to help Alonso get that P7 unless Alonso tied the McLaren to his back and ran across the circuit.

I am not trying to take anything away from Fernando but I see a trend.

Guys welcome @Vagabond a possible new F1 follower.

Damn, I didn`t get the notification, though I am regular on TE. May be needs to subscribe the thread.

Amen to that!! The guy is extremely annoying.

Glad to know I am not the only one.

I am enjoying F1 this year a lot more than the last few years. The drivers are driving the wheels off of the car and strategy is at play.

Monaco though will be very boring though. The cars are wider and overtaking is less in Monaco anyways. Only strategy will be undercut and stay put.

Last edited:
I am kind of missing Nico this year. Bottas is no match to Lewis and can't compete at the same level as Nico. Atleast, it is good to see Vettal putting up a good fight.
Kimi, what's wrong with you man. Hardly any competitiveness in his eyes nowadays.

I am kind of missing Nico this year. Bottas is no match to Lewis and can't compete at the same level as Nico. Atleast, it is good to see Vettal putting up a good fight.
Kimi, what's wrong with you man. Hardly any competitiveness in his eyes nowadays.
Agree on all points.

As for Kimi I took up hotstar membership to watch this season and maybe see him perform. He is just past his prime it seems.

Alonso should move to Indicar for a full season. Unless he can take up Bottas seat for next year.

2 Words - Vintage Kimi

BTW guess what @Vagabond started watching during Q3 (his first qualifying ever and tomorrow will be his first race ever...) and guess what Kimi got the pole. @Vagabond you better watch the race tomorrow or else... @Renegade - Please ban him for a month.

Nah, being too harsh I would say :) Kimi was bit unlucky with the timing of the pitstops after getting held up while lapping the slow cars, Vettel just did a good job (if not luck in clean air) in those few undercut laps.

Back