Car & Bike Formula 1 2017 Discussion thread

When Button said "Can I pee in your car", Alonso should have said, "do whatever it takes to take it to the finish line for a change".

Last edited:
Unfortunately I was right :(

I actually expected him to loose the lead at the start or bin it in the opening few laps.

Nah, being too harsh I would say :) Kimi was bit unlucky with the timing of the pitstops after getting held up while lapping the slow cars, Vettel just did a good job (if not luck in clean air) in those few undercut laps.

The strategy Vettel pulled off today is known as an overcut and not an undercut. Undercut is when you pit before and set faster times than the car in front to gain an advantage over the car in front and then when the car in front pits it comes out behind. Over cut is when you hold station and when the car in front pits you lap faster than the car that pitted and then build a cushion and pit and post pit come out in front of the rival car. I really haven't seen someone pull off an over cut so well since refuelling got banned because back then this was the best way to get past if you couldn't get past on track. The car that pitted might have fresher tyres but would also carry more fuel but the car that didn't pit would have older tyres but less fuel so it was a balanced act and was grip vs weight. Undercut is far more unfair at times but timing is cruicial as we saw with Seb in Spain they tried to stay ahead by pitting ahead but Mercedes didn't take the bait resulting in him being at a disadvantage in the remainder of the race.

Pretty standard Monaco race, Wehrlein's crash was pretty scary. The Alonso-Button Banter at the start was fun.
I have been watching F1 for quite a while and I never saw something that funny. At first I thought he must have got head injuries but later when I found out he was okay I thought it looked funny. I thought F1 cars can't lie down on side... I stand corrected today. What did Button say? I missed that part.

Perez really drove like an angry Mexican Pepper today.

Kudos to Bottas but Mercedes really struggle strategy wise in races. Today they were too focussed on Max and when Max attempted an undercut they tried to cover him and ended up releasing Daniel who undercut them both and ended up on podium.

For Lewis the race was more of a damage control than anything else. Luckily for him the next race is Canada which suits the Mercedes.

P.S.: Man this race was boring over all. I think I will definitely skip Baku.

What a disappointing race. Ferrari to blame for the stupid strategy and made Kimi lose. If vettal could lap faster with the 34 lap old tyres , I fail to understand why they pit Kimi.. I'm sure Kimi would have matched vettal easily if not pitted.. such a one sided team I would say

I pity for vestrappan as well, poor kid, could've easily be on podium. Ric handled the pressure well. Disappointed with Bottas, didn't do anything as such

My first F1 race experience and first post here.

After 20 laps I remember when the commentator said something about strategy for Ferrari, that made me think they might allow Vettel to overtake Kimi. I felt it was KImi`s day but didn`t go well for him, bit disappointed for Kimi.

Watching those accidents, safety car lap etc was good experience to understand the F1 things, seems I will be continue to watch next races.

Thanks - @prabs

What did Button say?

Alonso called in from Indy, and wished button good luck. He said "take care of my car" and button said "I'm going to pee in it"

Also, triple DNF for Honda this weekend. Poor Alonso's car blew up on lap 179/200. Sato did win for Honda though.

Monaco GP is my favorite of the lot. And this year surely did not disappoint. Missed the qualifying but watched the race on Hotstar.
Kimi could not manage his tyres so probably his team had to rethink his strategy. I dont think any team orders were preplanned.
This year is looking better race after race. :)
Good performance by Alonso. He was leading for few laps and was 5th when his engine failed. Atleast better than what he could have achieved at Monaco with current car.
Heard the Alonso Button radio chatter. Commentator said racing drivers go well with each other ONLY if they are not competing against each other. :)

I have stopped using Tata Sky due to their insane package pricing. Watched last few races on Hotstar stream on Chromecast. The speed and vdo quality is good.
Is there any other better way to watch the F1 races on net or TV? I have a 4mbps connection. I dont want to pay Tata Sky even a single rupee.

Alonso called in from Indy, and wished button good luck. He said "take care of my car" and button said "I'm going to pee in it"

Also, triple DNF for Honda this weekend. Poor Alonso's car blew up on lap 179/200. Sato did win for Honda though.

Lol thanks for posting the conversation.

You know what is funny - the McLarens in Monaco retired because of driver errors and engine issues. Wonder what Alonso could have done because I think they have a better chassis than Force India.

I have been a Kimi fan since 2003-4. It is sad not to see him win but I am fine with what was done. In 1-2 positions they get the same amount of points irrespective of who finishes where but Sebastian is fighting for WDC and every point matters as we saw over the years. You never know when he will need them. This way Ferrari gets WDC and WCC. Also I think it is more of a speculation than reality because both Daniel and Vettel performed the overcut.

Canada was a cracker of a race. Not much drama on for Hamilton/bottas, but all the scraps from positon 3 onwards. Force India made a mistake not being more strict with Perez, they might have gotten a podium. Massive recovery drive from Vettel. Patrick Stewart doing a shoey was brilliant.

I was really hoping that people saying cars are harder to overtake this year would hold true and vettel would stay behind the FI cars. If Perez had let Ocon through, maybe Ocon would have had finished in front of Vettel!

I always thought Bottas was an average driver and this year he is really proving it. Massa like Kimi is a spent force so Vatteri beating Massa was no surprise but in 2015 Felipe held his own against Vatteri.

Canadian GP was also going to be all Mercedes. Sebastian did well to split the Mercedes in Qualifying and Max did well to split the Mercs in the race. Wish Max didn't ruin Vettel's race by running over his front wing though. Seb could have taken Bottas despite Merc's power advantage.

Sebastian did well to recover to 4th and @hotshot05 I do think Vettel would have gone past Ocon even if Perez did let him through. A possible scenario is - with no rear gunner Seb would have lost little time behind perez and Ocon with fresher tyres would put pressure on Daniel and Vettel would pass them both with engine and tyre advantage while they are fighting.

Few tracks that I think Merc will dominate like they did in Canada are Monza, Austria and Spa. Merc 1-2.

Holy crap. That was insane, this was like that German GP where everyone kept skidding off. Stroll on the podium, a last lap overtake and senna/schumi like douchbaggery :D

Well done baku

This really was a horrible race even though the end result makes it look spectacular.

I really don't like the track layout and like Singapore and Monaco it is a venue that for every correction (debris removal or car removal) you need a safety car. Singapore and Monaco are better equipped for that though. Good thing they red flagged the race else every restart would be met with a Safety car because the tyres would get colder and colder and the setting sun was not helping anyone's case either. Another annoying thing about the track is the tow effect. Folks say that Lewis was super fast but it was the tow that helped him and nobody else contending for the pole got the tow.

The race was okay. A quick summary of the events -

1. McLaren start at the back with a few penalties
2. Bottas launches of the kerb and hits Kimi destroying quite a bit on Kimi's car. Get's a puncture and limps back to pits. Rejoins nearly a lap down.
3. Palmer has to retire with an issue with the car.
4. Max retires with car issues.
5. Kvyat triggers a series of Safety Car periods with his parked car.
6. Safety car pulls in but Ocon and Perez come together and take Kimi along with them. A golden opportunity for Force India missed.
7. Safety car pulls in and Daniel jumps both Williams to get 3rd
8. Too much debris results in safety car and then a red flag.
9. During the safety car period Lewis drives like a Sunday driver and Vettel like a Monday driver which results in an incident. Which is investigated and concluded later.
10. During the red flag period Force India and Ferrari repair Perez and Kimi's car to an extent but they can only rejoin a lap down.
11. Immediately after the race starts Massa has car issues and is retired.
11.5. Forgot Hulk turned into a corner like a blind bat and lost his front suspension.
12. Kimi and Perez are handed penalties for fixing cars in the garage and not in the fast lane during the red flag. Both retired later in the race as their was no point in getting mileage on the engines.
13. Hamilton's headrest comes loose and is called in to the pits.
14. Vettel is handed a 10 second stop & go penalty for dangerous driving which I think was too severe considering Lewis too was being a bit cheeky by not accelerating out of a corner where most expect the other to accelerate. Nonethless...
15. Both rejoin the race in reversed positions and start catching up and passing the others.
16. Kudos to Alonso for putting up a fight and the dialogue of the day - "What a shame we could've won this race"
17. With all positions set there was only one man on the move - Bottas.
18. On the start/finish straight Bottas trolled Stroll to take the second place.

Looks like a lot of stuff happened but it was only because of the bad track design, falling track temperatures. The only way the track can excite the viewers is by safety cars messing up positions and 90 degree corners catching drivers out alongwith the setting sun.

Luckily the next race is Austrian GP, something to look forward to.

Just finished watching the replay of the race on Hotstar. It was an awesome race from the viewers point of view.

Ocon would be getting an earful today.
Loved the sprint race at the end between Bottas and Stroll.
Vettel got 3 penalty points added to his superlicense. 1 more and he will get an auto 1 race ban.
Alonso was really really good today - both on track and over the radio!!!

Best part of the race IMO was the last moment overtake of Stroll by Bottas. I wish they'd given more airtime to that battle.

Back