Budget 31-40k FreeNAS build: Suggestions needed

I too have the same router + switch setup - and the max I have gotten out of my W7 rig to a laptop is 70MBps. However, for some bloody reason its gone to FE speeds ~ 11 MBps. :mad:

Shall be doing a complete system shutdown + maintainence + reconfiguration soon, so not an issue.

What was the issue you faced with transmission?

I would suggest to avoid wd reds. Although I have not used it myself or have any personal experience, I have heard lot of complaints from dealers here in mumbai about a bad batch and lot of rma.
Rma also is taking too long for wd. So just think about this.

I just got an upgrade for my freenas server yesterday. I opted for WD AV-gp drives (3tb 30EURS) after hearing so many complaints about the wd red and also the price hike of the hdds.
http://www.techenclave.com/communit...y-show-off-thread.57621/page-370#post-1839048

My suggestions for the freenas.
Please dont spend money on ssd as freenas is loaded from the usb stick. I am using old freenas, but it doesnt make any difference as the freenas os will always be on once booted.
Dont spend insane money on ram. 2gb-4gb is more than enough. I am using 2gb and with 30-40 users my ram usage has never crossed 20-25%
choose the mobo/psu/hdds properly depending on budget / requirement as you dont want these to fail.

Can you link to the sites where you got the drives?

What was the issue you faced with transmission?

some permission issues. i removed the plugins jail. reinstalled. now it works.

ZFS is known to be troublesome if the 80% or more capacity is used. Is your NAS 80% full?

Nope! soon will be. i have all my data split into pieces in my two external HDD and laptop. have to put them together.

Can you link to the sites where you got the drives?

You can get them in flipkart. I got from delta peripherals shop in chennai. Each 2 TB drive costed Rs.5750 (when i bought). In flipkart its a little costlier.

Back