Frequent Restarts (even with brand new APC UPS)

Expecting a basic tier psu to last more than 4-5 years with such heavy usage in itself is quite an assumption. Whether mobo/ram is faulty or not you should get a new psu as in worst case it will be helpful in your new system(no point getting or repairing mobo for such old system) & in best case it may save at least your hdd from failure/data corruption.
https://www.vedantcomputers.com/pro...650-650-watt-80-plus-bronze-certified-atx-psu
worth a shot changing the PSU. he's already got a new UPS anyway

Forgot to mention, I had this APC Back-UPS RS 1500VA model which was scrapped 2 yrs ago.
I changed its batteries and just on batteries it used to give me 30-35mins for my whole pc setup.

Then during power cuts at night I started using a single cfl (no pc no other attachments) but the after plugging in the cfl it used to momentarily flicker and this flickering would go so much that it used to disturb our vision. It used to variate up and down or so.
Then tried syska and phillips led bulb or various wattage still same issue.

But on pc it never used to give such jitters as monitored by various monitoring tools for all 12v to 5v rails.

Dont know what was wrong with using bulbs as its a rather unusual behavior.

Even we our phones used to get charged properly in designated time intervals as like AC power.

The ups died after 10 months. Died in sense its relay or rectifier went kaput and the electricians werent able to find the exact matching one for it. Gave up after 2 months of hunt.
I have a 1000VA mdel which was going since 2006. I found when i replaced the battery each time they lasted less than previous. I got six years out of the batterie when new. The replacements lasted half as long and the time after only two years.

Did you ever find out which batteries this model of APC UPS uses ?

I have a 1000VA mdel which was going since 2006. I found when i replaced the battery each time they lasted less than previous. I got six years out of the batterie when new. The replacements lasted half as long and the time after only two years.

Did you ever find out which batteries this model of APC UPS uses ?
They use some RBC battery brand. APC Schneider service centre is just opp. my office and they themselves supply or have stock of only Exide batteries and they recommend Exide only.
They claim RBC arrival takes a lot of time and nobody wants to wait hence Exide makes the way for it. RBC is rated at 7.2ah-7.5ah while all available other brands like exide, amaron, sf etc have only 7ah.

Exide are good but i suspect i was given older batteries. Might just be easier to get the battereis alone and tape them up at least this way i would have some control over the battery manufacture date

exide has a 9AH battery in exact same dimensions of the 7AH one. only problem is they're hard to find. you need to go to a scooter battery selling place to try your luck with those.

exide has a 9AH battery in exact same dimensions of the 7AH one. only problem is they're hard to find. you need to go to a scooter battery selling place to try your luck with those.
9ah cannot fit in regular apc ups models imo. What model you referring to?
I replaced then from a local authorized hero scooter center and they said what is available in market is just 7.2ah as 7.5ah isnt available anymore. I even inquired here and there with pro battery suppliers too but no luck.

Last edited:
I'm using 650VA Backups model. Long time back i had made a post here about this and had got same dimension 9AH battery which fit perfectly and lasted 3 years.

Edit: seems exide stopped producing the 9AH battery.

http://www.exideindustries.com/products/industrial-batteries/online-offline-ups-systems.aspx

exide.jpg

Last edited:
I also want to buy apc ups but its costing a bomb like 15k etc. so not worthy at all. Will better invest same amount in inverter thing later on.

Back