[Fresh Build] Gaming Rig 20k

@OP
you have to increase your budget a bit otherwise you wont be able to build your dream rig or if you can't spend a penny more then buy GPU later after saving some money... ;)

elnino said:
Thanks darky
955 aint too far from 840 right in terms of price,right?

Its some 700 bucks expensive and its a 125w CPU so using it on a motherboard which supports max 95w CPU is really not advisable... if you are going with DA's rig then buy x4 840 or else increase your budget and buy Gigabyte 880GM-USB3L ~ 4.2k (AM3+) which would be compatible with future Bulldozer CPUs

i am dropping the GPU part will add it l8er and Considering a Mobo with AM3+,future proof and Good Chipset and a Onboard GPU atleast HD4250
till 4k

i hav chosen AMD Athlon II X3

If you have dropped the GPU idea then it would be better if would go with a Quadcore processor...

Processor AMD Phenom II x4 840 4800

Motherboard Gigabyte 880GM-USB3L 4200

RAM G.Skill Ripjaws X 1600MHz CL9 1 x 2GB 950

GPU

HDD Seagate 7200.12 1TB 1700

Cabinet CM Elite 310 1500

Monitor Dell 1920IN 4900

PSU Gigabyte Superb 460w 1950

Keyboard Logitech K&M Combo 700

Mouse

Speakers Altec Lansing BXR1121 950

DVD Writer Samsung 950

Total 22600

Add another 2GB stick later along with HD5670 ;)

This was at the mobo website:
(Note 1) Due to Windows 32- bit operating system limitation, when more than 4 GB of physical memory is installed, the actual memory size displayed will be less than 4 GB.

^^ That is if you install a 32-bit version of Windows, due to the limitation in the software itself, the full 4GB OR above amount of memory cannot be accessed by Windows and a cap of 3.25GB will b enforced irrespective how much physical memory is attached onto the computer [4GB, 6GB, 8GB].

Now i think i will need a 4Gb single stick and rest the same...if budget allows then i will Go for G.Skill 8GB ripjawsX Sniper EDITION @ITWARES..

Any Suggestions?

^^ Its a funky looking RAM... buy a RAM which provides more performance per rupee and has sufficient heatspreader to keep the RAM chips cool... ;) Ripjaws X 1600MHz 1X4GB would be enough for your usage... 8GB Ram is really not required if you are not much into rendering and stuff... Virtualization do require good amount of RAM too... But to run multiple guest OS simultaneously you need to have a processor with good amount of cores... For EG... You have a quadcore then you can only create 3 guests OS in VMware and you can allot single core to every guest OS... In the same way you can allot RAM also... If you want to allot 1GB to every guest OS then you can do so...

So.............................

hmmmmn....ANyother RAQM that u can suggest or the Gskill that ITwares has is Good one in THat Price RANGE??

Buy a single 4GB Ripjaws X stick now as the motherboard that you are looking to buy one comes with two RAM slots... If in the future you want to upgrade RAM then you can put another 4GB stick ;)

I wouldnt reccomend doing that really, single stick single channel, its ok if you are going to do it temporarily like a month or so and then add the 2nd stick but running it in single channel mode will prolly lose you a fair bit of performance.

He doesn't have any other option... In single channel mode its obvious that the processor wont get much bandwidth but its not that the RAM would become a bottleneck... And as the motherboard that he is looking to buy only comes with two RAM slots so he only have two options... 1st. Buy a single 4GB RAM and run it in a single channel mode, 2nd. Buy 2x2GB sticks to run them in dual channel mode and just screw the future upgradability... So IMO OP should buy a single stick now...

but in future 2x 4gb should be cheaper also na

You really can't predict that after some time RAM would become cheaper or would sell for higher price coz RAM prices go up and down so frequently that one really can't predict what the RAM prices would be after some days... Actually the question is does OP really require the extra bandwidth that he would get from Dual Channel... or he requires a RAM with more GB as he is gonna run VMWare on his rig... What you are suggesting is good to but if in the future if he wants to upgrade to 8GB RAM then he would have to sell his 2x2GB Ram kit... So IMO it wont be a very cost effective affair... :)

I will Go with Hades....
Either 4Gb single or 2x4 GB !

Btw dad told that Pc will be bought in august

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

Hades. said:
He doesn't have any other option... .. 1st. Buy a single 4GB RAM and run it in a single channel mode, 2nd. Buy 2x2GB sticks to run them in dual channel mode and just screw the future upgradability... So IMO OP should buy a single stick now...

Why not 2x4Gb any problems?
just for questioning

If you have money then go with 2x4GB kit... I was advising a single 4GB stick as 880GM-USB3L only comes with two RAM slots so future upgradability wouldn't have become a problem... But as you are looking to buy 8GB from the Get go then buy it... As it would be more than enough for your usage... But are you sure that you need 8GB Ram for the work that you are gonna do?

Back