CPU/Mobo Frugal CPU+Mobo replacement

Corleone

Adept
Hi Guys!

Budget: Rs. 5,000/- approx.
Reason for upgrade: Either CPU or Mobo has died
Reason for such a low budget: Planning to get a Laptop in few months but, my Kid & wife want's PC for general surfing, music & movies.

I want to replace my Mobo + CPU ONLY and utilise the existing DDR2 4 GB RAM - Transcend 1 GB x 4 = 4 GB.

The thing is one fine day the PC started acting up. Don't know whether the problem is with the CPU or Mobo.

It just starts & stops in 1~2 seconds. No beeps nothing. Tried breadboarding as well.

My config was as follows:

1) AMD Athlon 64 3200+
2) Asus M2N8-VMX
3) Transcend 4 GB RAM ( 1 x 4)
4) Samsung 19" WS LCD
5) WD 2 TB HDD
6) Samsung DVD Burner
7) Windows 8 Pro
It is basically used for surfing, music, movies & occasional VPC work.

I plan to utilise the existing 4 GB RAM so mobo should have 4 DDR2 slots.

Getting a motherboard which supports DDR2 RAMs is difficult. Did you try swapping motherboard with another working one from any friend?

You are from which city ? Can ask any TE member from same town to help you out.

Else option for you is selling off current setup and you can add approx 3.2-3.3K to your budget of 5K making it ~8.2K and opt for following setup but still its 1K more;

Intel G2020 - 3600
Gigabyte H61 Mobo - 3200
Corsair 4GB Value Select - 2400

Total - 9200

Suggest a mini ITX AMD E350 cpu mobo combo for ~4.5k & sell off your ddr2 & purchase ddr3 with the money made. Abt as power ful as your current setup...

You are from which city ? Can ask any TE member from same town to help you out.

Else option for you is selling off current setup and you can add approx 3.2-3.3K to your budget of 5K making it ~8.2K and opt for following setup but still its 1K more;

Intel G2020 - 3600
Gigabyte H61 Mobo - 3200
Corsair 4GB Value Select - 2400

Total - 9200
I'm from Mumbai (suburbs) (Dombivli to be specific).

Hmm... Selling RAM and getting new CPU + Mobo + RAM also seems to be good option :)

Suggest a mini ITX AMD E350 cpu mobo combo for ~4.5k & sell off your ddr2 & purchase ddr3 with the money made. Abt as power ful as your current setup...
Hmm...

Does Windows 8 Pro work on it? I have a licensed copy would like to continue using it.

I had the following in mind:
AMD 2.8 GHz AM3 Sempron 145 Processor - Rs. 1995
Gigabyte GA-78LMT-S2PT Motherboard - Rs. 3304
Corsair Value Select 4 GB

How is the above config?

* CPU + Mobo pricing from FK & RAM (as mentioned above)

Hyper V - Even if it supports, would not recommend. Its not that powerful

If you do not mind a used config, go for the AMD X3 combo which is on sale in TE market.

E-350 and Sempron 145 are similar in CPU perf but E350 is much smaller and low power and better gfx - http://www.cpubenchmark.net/midlow_range_cpus.html

I was planning on doing an upgrade and using my current rig as an HTPC. I really wanted an E-350 based rig though as it consumes less power. But I was told (in the 1 shop I asked) that it costs more than 7k.
Do you know where I can get it for Rs.4500 in Pune, Mumbai or online?

Edit -
Found a listing @5400
http://www.ebay.in/itm/GIGABYTE-GA-...-MINI-ITX-Motherboard-CPU-Combo-/171013615369

Can I really get this for 4500?

Last edited:
Hi Guys! Was away on business. Just returned a couple of days back.

Update: Got the following as a replacement:

Intel Pentium G2020
Gigabyte GA-H61M-D2H
Corsair 4 GB DDR3-1666 MHz Value Select RAM

Ordered from ebay with 15% off coupon :)

MODs may please close this thread.

Back