Full HD 42-47" inch TV for Rs.55,000: purchased LG 42LB5820

Did you try looking at the UltraHD 4K TVs from LG. The 40/42 inchers are available in the nearly the same budget that you have. I'd strongly recommend buying that one, considering that everything is pretty much moving towards the UHD standards.[DOUBLEPOST=1426160720][/DOUBLEPOST]This one (http://www.flipkart.com/lg-40ub800t-101-6-cm-40-led-tv/p/itmefcymzjkemqdk?q=LG 40UB800T 101.6 cm (40) LED TV&as=on&as-show=on&otracker=start&as-pos=p_2_lg ultra hd&pid=TVSEFCYHGQK2ZUVM) was available for 56 in the morning.

Without content how good this choice would be ? I mean I do not have single movie or TV show in 4K. Also wondering how much effect it would have while I play contents with lower resolutions like SD DTH or 720/1080p movies.

Micromax has launched 4K UHD TVs today
40" - 40k
50" - 50k

I would not go for local brands :)

Caveat on 5610: just one HDMI port; no built-in WiFi/WiDi.

Don't buy TVs online, can get easily damaged during transit.[DOUBLEPOST=1426171394][/DOUBLEPOST]
......Also wondering how much effect it would have while I play contents with lower resolutions like SD DTH or 720/1080p movies.

They will look Miserable! If you have an idea about resolution, you can easily imagine the SD content will be a very small box on a 4k TV. Zoom in and the pixellation will be so bad it will be unwatchable.

If you need confirmation, try some tv show, take it on a USB stick, play it on a 4k TV & see it yourself!

Today been to Vijay Sales. Following is quote from them,

For LG 42LB5820, it is ₹56,000 whereas on FK its ₹48,000 and for 42LB5610 it is ₹48,500. There is scope of more negotiation/bargain according to floor manager.

About TV (42LB5820), I liked it very much - may be first timer effect. Tried playing movies and fast forwarding them. Resuming was almost instant. However after resume, play was appearing like TV soaps.

Should not be. This was even after a few minutes?
It is a good model. Diff between on-/off-line is expected. Since you are particular about warranty, find out about FK warranty. In case you remember, sometime back some white goods companies were pi**ed off with FK during the Dec 6 sale and declared no warranties would be available. Check that aspect out before ordering on-line. There is an additional risk of getting a damaged (in-transit) piece when you buy on-line.

This was more evident for movie Rocket Singh but not so much for Transformers 1.

Yesterday I got quote of ₹51,000 for LB5820 and ₹45,000 for LB5610 from a well known store. I guess this is best I would be getting in Offline. Two more stores will provide quote by tomorrow, Tuesday. However I forgot to ask if ₹51,000 include Magic remote or not :( LG Showroom quoted ₹55,000 with magic remote and 6 way movable wall mount.

Today been to Vijay Sales. Following is quote from them,

For LG 42LB5820, it is ₹56,000 whereas on FK its ₹48,000 and for 42LB5610 it is ₹48,500. There is scope of more negotiation/bargain according to floor manager.

About TV (42LB5820), I liked it very much - may be first timer effect. Tried playing movies and fast forwarding them. Resuming was almost instant. However after resume, play was appearing like TV soaps.
Just my 2 cents the recording feature on tv, works only if it connected by RCA cable. The recording feature will not work if the input is HDMI port that was bummer for me.

@suds I doubt how much I am going to use these features - one of reason why I am still asking for quotes of 5610 too along with 5820.

Till now I have got alerts for two functions; storing WiFi password and Recording. Please throw some more impressions/experiences, if you know :)

It is a good model. Diff between on-/off-line is expected. Since you are particular about warranty, find out about FK warranty. In case you remember, sometime back some white goods companies were pi**ed off with FK during the Dec 6 sale and declared no warranties would be available. Check that aspect out before ordering on-line. There is an additional risk of getting a damaged (in-transit) piece when you buy on-line.
Warranty is not an issue. I had bought a Samsung TV from Flipkart and the warranty was honored; I know of a few friends as well who had the same experience across different brands.
This was more evident for movie Rocket Singh but not so much for Transformers 1.

Yesterday I got quote of ₹51,000 for LB5820 and ₹45,000 for LB5610 from a well known store. I guess this is best I would be getting in Offline. Two more stores will provide quote by tomorrow, Tuesday. However I forgot to ask if ₹51,000 include Magic remote or not :( LG Showroom quoted ₹55,000 with magic remote and 6 way movable wall mount.

Check for the 6 way movable wall mount because if it's not included in the price, you are looking at an additional 2K for this. From what I know, LG, by default offers magic remote and wall mount irrespective of dealers (online/offline).

Magic Remote is optional in this model. It is made very clear everywhere on LG website, Owners manual etc.

You can try for the wall mount, if you need one.

Caveat - that once on a wall, the TV becomes quite "rigid" in position! Flat TVs do look good on a wall though!

Magic Remote: user can 'gesture' to control. I did not find it worth the extra money. Was ~4.5k last year.

As such, I was not looking for "smart" features. All I searching for a TV that was good in displaying SD content - LB58 series does the job exceptionally well!
As for HD, anyway all TVs, irrespective of budget & brand, are quite good - right from low-end Haier/AOC/Videocon to top-end Sony/Sammy/LG.

Magic remote is something I would place under the category of "bells & whistles" or, "frills" - you may want to have it, but don't need it!

I bought the LG 42LB5610 last year around Diwali (other options were Samsung 40H5100 and Sony 40R428B).
LG 42LB5610 (47k offline) - Cheapest option at that time, marginally larger screen than competitors and Diwali gift was a DVD player (lying unused) plus 2 year warranty. Wall mount installation was included in that price. Did not buy magic remote.

Cons - sound levels are quite low, back-light bleed is particularly noticeable at top left corner of TV, it can not play some video / audio formats which its competitors can and the recording feature only works with antenna connected.
Pros - SD content looks really good (SD input), after I changed to TataSky HD box the SD channels look horrible since STB is doing the scaling.

Caveat - that once on a wall, the TV becomes quite "rigid" in position! Flat TVs do look good on a wall though!

Well according to the shelf space available and design of shelf, mounting it to wall will be best possible option for me. I would need to place woofer and front speaker of HT there on shelf.

Cons - sound levels are quite low, back-light bleed is particularly noticeable at top left corner of TV, it can not play some video / audio formats which its competitors can and the recording feature only works with antenna connected.

Sound will be taken care by Yamaha 196 HT. It would be nice if you can recollect and mention which formats it could not play. :)

Also from the comments earlier in thread, I feel I should not upgrade to HD from TataSky and stick to SD.

Sound will be taken care by Yamaha 196 HT. It would be nice if you can recollect and mention which formats it could not play. :)
Also from the comments earlier in thread, I feel I should not upgrade to HD from TataSky and stick to SD.

Off the top of my head I can remember it couldn't play DTS audio or switch audio tracks in a multi-audio MKV file. It also had a problem with a MP4 file which had supported codecs (as far as the manual goes) but I don't remember the details.
TataSky has very few channels in HD, if those are the ones you primarily watch then it maybe worth the upgrade. For me, the main reason was watching the English Premier League in HD (in SD, sometimes the player with the football is almost off the edge of the screen) along with some of the English movie channels (unfortunately, not HBO). It doesn't hurt that the popular Hindi channels are available in HD too so the rest of the family doesn't complain.
I upgraded to TataSky HD 4 months after getting the HDTV, so I would recommend waiting and watching (for offers, new HD channels) before upgrading.

Ditch the 5610 and get the 5820 if you must.

Cons - greyish blacks, rainbow effect if too much sunlight, inherent warm tint. No webOS.
Pros. - looks very good in dark room situations, good colours with some tweaking, good for gaming, picked it up at 35k from Flipkart and exchanged 26" samsung LCD.

Overall 4.5/5 considering the trade.

Ditch the 5610 and get the 5820 if you must.

Cons - greyish blacks, rainbow effect if too much sunlight, inherent warm tint. No webOS.
Pros. - looks very good in dark room situations, good colours with some tweaking, good for gaming, picked it up at 35k from Flipkart and exchanged 26" samsung LCD.

Overall 4.5/5 considering the trade.

Yes, I have fixed on 5820. You have got a really really good price for that set.

Best offline price I have got till now is ₹51,000 and online price is ₹47,000 on FK though now it's hiked again.

Flipkart price was 51k when I bought it. Exchange + Multiple Coupons (2) brought it down. Therefore I got it even though I had a Panny and Samsung "Dumb" TV lined up.

It's a decent LED, very sleek you need a big table though if planning to use the stands. If you can get a Blu Ray (on Rent or otherwise) and can get a demo in Outlets do that.

Back